Forum Member

Default I was wanting your professional opinion!!

I had a few questions to any veterans out there!!
    But just a background story!!
    The moral at my fire station is very very low!!!
    Our city doesn't seem support us and our budget is non existant!!!
    We have a few lazy fireman that have time on and are fairly lazy!!
    We have 2 new firefighters and I feel that their lazyness will wear on the new fireman and develop bad habits.
    Our chief is being sued by our state pension because according to our requirements he was hired illegally and that is a whole situation in itself!!
    Our chief lacks leadership and doesn't stand up for us and our 2 new firefighters haven't recieved new gear which according to our bargaining agreement is required. They have been on about 8 months I mite add.
    Anyways my question is I dont mean to sound like im complaining or whining but I really would like some advice on how I could potentially get our moral back and get more involvement from everybody and if any of you guys deal with the same issues?
    I would consider myself a motivated person but maybe this situation is just to far gone for me to help resolve?? anyways any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default morale

the city would have you wear a metal pot on your head instead of a helmet,if they could. low morale ,low pay, unresolved contract, get used to it for the next 20 years. the lazy guys are square rooters, firefighting is their second job. city councils look at us as a burden. your firehouse is not just a garage where you eat and sleep. its your home. get in the books,get promoted, and don't worry about the lazy guys. were not teachers, we are firemen. fire dept's are expensive. we don't get paid for what we do, we get paid for what we are willing to do. insurance policy. fires are down and the city knows it. we need you to become a chief and tell the city council how necessary we are, and when they tap you to become chief of dept, hopefully you won't jerk the men or tell them to just suck it up.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Nice to see you again Woody!!! I see you're still very excited about something!!!! Maybe you should try limiting your caffeine intake!!!
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Toga....toga ..toga
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Thread Information