Forum Member

Default Toledo OH testing?

I heard that Toledo FD will be testing for firefighter/paramedic this summer.

Rumor or true?
    Any tips on how to get it?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

pretty sure its true.. rumored to hire 25 for first class and then more later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any info on what the city itself is like? Is it a decent place to raise a family? How is the morale in the fire dept? Are people happy within the department? Any info would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Question

Yeah, any info about the Department would be great.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley6485 View Post
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Expecialy anything about the testing process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Info for the upcoming Toledo exam can be found at the link below.

http://www.toledofirerecruitment.com...rtunities.html

The last two exams you were given a study guide made up by the Toledo civil service to study. The written exam was based on that study guide.

We will be putting together a practice exam based on that study guide. Go to the link below to be informed when the practice exam is completed.

Good luck !!

www.fireprep.com
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 01-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Question

Any idea how many people are expected to take the test, or how long the test will be good for?

Also, does anybody think that because I am 18 it will be less likely for me to get on the list? Even though I have already been through the Fire academy at Schoolcraft community college in southeast Michigan (Michigan certified Fire I & II), have my Haz-Mat Ops., and I will have my National Registry EMT-B in March.

Thank you

Forum Member

I grew up in Temperance, MI and have family there. It's like any other city, with good and bad parts of town.
    I tested in 2001, and they have used that list ever since. I got called for an interview in Oct. 2006, but could not make it becasue my husband was going through a fire academy at that time. About 1500 took it and I placed 210. There were 3 parts. The first was you had to memorize the info in the packet they gave you and answer questions. Then they gave a 10-15 minute lecture that you had to take notes and use theose to answer questions. Then there was a spelling and grammar part. At the time I had no fire or ems experience and did pretty well. You will be fine as long as you study that booklet and get the info down. They also had a practice test session, which I found useful.

Toledo is pretty nice, they have a fantastic AAA baseball team, the Toledo Mud Hens (farm team for the Detroit Tigers) with a beautiful stadium. There's also a great zoo, a big art muesum and the city sits on the Maumee River which flows out into Lake Erie. The Lake is just minutes away.

Forum Member

The test is pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions about everything you are given. Who asked if 18 is too young, no it's not we hire 18-19 year olds all the time. Memorize the study guide, it has fire and general questions that are deliberatly incorrect. Why? Because they told you to memorize the study guide. I'll give some examples: A master stream flows at least 100, 200, 300, or 400 GPM? the answer is 100..why because the study guide says so. The grass is colored brown, green, white, purple? the answer is purple...why the study guide says so. You get the point.

As for the city it's 80 sq miles with over 300,000 residents. 17 engines, 4 trucks and 5 rescues. over 50,000 runs city wide. The slowest company does 2000 runs and the busiest is over 5000. Most do in the high 3000's. There are companies that is not uncommon for them to see 2 working fires a day. I have been to as many as four in a single tour. Tons of EMS runs. Ones that will test your skills and intestinal fortitude. Shootings, stabbings, etc. And ones that will test your patience. There are a few nicer areas of the city to live in and they are pretty affordable on a firefighters salary. The inner city is very rough and there are some seriously poor sections scattered around the city. It is geographically the same as Cincinnati with half the fire companies. Ohio's version of Detroit. Toledo has a great Zoo, Art Musuem, minor league baseball park and team, and a new sports arena is being completed that will house our minor league hockey team.

It is great place to work, and experience comes quickly. I never have regreted working here. I had the oppurtunity to work for Columbus and the FDNY, but choose Toledo and have never looked back.

Forum Member

Oh yeah...no experience required. The fire department takes care of all training, including the medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Toledo give a B-pad test, or do they give a real interview in front of real people? How much time did they give you to look over the study guide?
    Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt45 View Post
    Does Toledo give a B-pad test, or do they give a real interview in front of real people? How much time did they give you to look over the study guide?
    Thanks
    Real people, I don't remember exactly...at least 4 weeks maybe more.

MembersZone Subscriber

37truck:

Can you tell me if EMS transport in Toledo is done by TFD or private EMS?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    37truck:

Can you tell me if EMS transport in Toledo is done by TFD or private EMS?
    Both, ALS and BLS is done by TFD, BLS by Privates

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 37truck View Post
    Both, ALS and BLS is done by TFD, BLS by Privates
    Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

When I called the fire recruitment office they said there were about 4,000 people who took the test. Now I know the city held onto that list for much longer than it should have, some 7 or 8 years I guess. I was told recruitment is expecting around double that number for '08. I was wondering if they make the list public? Do you get a letter in the mail saying what number you are? Is it true they bring in three people for every spot they are hiring for? Basically how long you have to wait til you find out something after the examination.

Also what can you expect out of the background check, physical examination, etc.? I was if you do get called that you have opportunities to practice on the physical examination course before you are actually graded.

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview?

Any help would be appreciated.

youngone08
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have they set a date yet for signing up or is it later in the year?

MembersZone Subscriber

recruitment told me toady that applications will be filled out in late February, written in April, and the first academy in October.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey i noticed someone was asking about the dept and the city. well im from ohio over in the cleveland area. all the other firemen i talk to around here say that toledo sucks to work for. and its not just osme of them all of them have told me that. just a heads up

Forum Member

anybody know if residency points will be given?
    how many?
    how long you have to have lived in the city?

what about veteran points?
    Last edited by Macari; 01-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamslivers View Post
    Hey i noticed someone was asking about the dept and the city. well im from ohio over in the cleveland area. all the other firemen i talk to around here say that toledo sucks to work for. and its not just osme of them all of them have told me that. just a heads up
    Hey Goof, how in the hell would anybody from Cleveland know what it's like to work in Toledo?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Macari View Post
    anybody know if residency points will be given?
    how many?
    how long you have to have lived in the city?

what about veteran points?
    no residency points

yes for veterans points

Forum Member

Default Toledo

I sent their HR department an email like instructed on their recruitment page but haven't received a reply via email. Do they not send confirmation via email and only send out applications via usps? Just not used to sending an email and not getting at least a confirmation of receipt back.

MembersZone Subscriber

They don't send any confirmation letter or email to you. If I were you I would call them and put your name in that way also. They said that all apps must be picked up in person.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt45 View Post
    They don't send any confirmation letter or email to you. If I were you I would call them and put your name in that way also. They said that all apps must be picked up in person.
    when do the apps have to be picked up?

Thread Information