Thread: AF Bases in MA

Forum Member

Default AF Bases in MA

Hey all,

Just weighing my options now of deciding to go to Air National Guard as a Firefighter. Is anyone currently working at these bases in the MA area?

Im trying to see how long it would take after training to get on one of these bases and whats it like. Thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber

you start "working" as soon as you get back from training. but its just drill weekends. weather or not there is ff slots depends on the base you are looking at. i think hascomb has a few slots open.

Forum Member

Im planning to go down there and check it out within the next few weeks. Do I talk to a recruiter of the base? How can I get a straight answer from these guys about the availability? From what Ive been reading it seems they will try to get me to do somethin else and thats the last thing I want.

MembersZone Subscriber

what i did was look online to see what jobs are available. then when i went in to talk to them, i said i will only do this job. get it or i'm walking. ang recruiters are a little different because they only work for that base, so if they have a spot, they will put you in it. the other way is to get all of your stuff done including meps, then you wait until a slot opens up. the recruiters are usualy happy to do that because they get there bonus either way. they main thing is to know what you want before you go in and double check what they tell you. good luck!

Forum Member

hey did you do Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve? I have been contacting the 2 ANG bases in MA and it seems near impossible to get a job as a FF there.

MembersZone Subscriber

i did the guard. the spots are limited. we are supposed to have 6 new spots sometime this year at bradley. you have to sign up, and then wait to go to basic and fire school until the spot opens. the recruiters there are pretty helpful.

Forum Member

Yeah I spoke with a recruiter there. He said they were full now, but I should get all the MEPS, ASVAB stuff out of the way. How long did it take you to get on?
    Last edited by Kev9494; 01-13-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Good thing's happening

I have a question..recently i have been looking into the military and I was wondering what is best branch to go into to be strictly a firefighter and the busiest just for calls ?

Forum Member

like it has already been said you just need a spot to open up then you'll be able to get a basic and tech school date. it is a good idea to get the meps bs out of the way so that you'll be able to take a spot once it opens up. i enlisted last march, then went to basic in july and august then went straight to the academy and graduated in december. i'm out at the 104th FW at barnes angb in westfield. send me an email at beantownbaseball1@yahoo.com or call the recruiters over there, they're actually very helpful, (with all recruiters, just be prepared with questions so that they know you know what's up, make sure they know you'll only take a ff spot)

Thread Information