Default L.A. Fire recruitment

I am trying to find info on joining the L.A. fire dept. I have a few questions though. Is it best to get an EMT-1 certificate b4 applying for the academy which would increase my chances of getting in? Or is it best to try and get the highest score on the written test? I am 37 years old and not a spring chicken anymore. I am in good shape, have been training and will be taking the CPAT in March or April. Any advice on becoming a firefighter would be appreciated.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, you should want to get the highest score possible on your written regardless of your qualifications. That shouldn't even be a question.

Also, check out the search feature on the forums. I would be willing to bet that you'll find most of your questions have been answered in great detail by many different members of these forums.

Oh and it could never hurt to become an EMT. Any experience will help.
    Last edited by HereToLearn; 12-20-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Default Thanks

Thank you, Heretolearn. I will search for that. I figured the test was an area that I needed to really focus on, and you confirmed that, thanks. And I have already signed up for the EMT course at a local college.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool A Lil' More Info.....

I agree with gettin' as many qualifications as possible. Last week I talked to an Uncle of mine (he's a Captain II in the Recruitment Office) and he told me that there is goin' to be a bigger push for H.R. to weedout the people without experience and keep the folks with experience. Lately most of their academies have been full of folks with no fire experience and aren't cutout to do the job.....
    I have a cousin that's been there for a lil' over 16 months or so and he loves it there..... Says the environment has changed a bunch. My other cousin has been there for almost 2 yrs and says that it's nice to see the Department transition. They both say that once you exit the Tower, don't expect to sleep while your on duty..... LOL.
    I've gotta very close friend that is currently in backgrounds with LAFD. It's his dream Dept.

As for me, I think I'll just stay at my lil' Department and run my 3-10 calls a day and sleep most nights..... I've worked at Stations that routinely run well over 15 calls a day, fun when you're young in the service..... LOL.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Get your CPAT and apply now. There is no need to wait.

LAFD's hiring practices are so frusturating, and such a long drawn out process. Don't ever get your hopes up with any department especially LAFD. They hire ex-gangmembers, and pass on people who are more than qualified.

Good luck.

Permanently Removed

- Take and pass the written asap.

- Get your EMT as soon as possible and get some field expereince as well. Both of these items will help you when /if you get hired. I dont remember if LAFD makes their people go through EMT in the tower or not. LACo does.

- Get the CPAT done and over with. And then use the card for other departments testing.

- Get some help or review some material when its time for your oral board.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-21-2007 at 12:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like the others said, there's a lot of info if you search. I know people have posted info about the written and interviews and such.

I actually just applied about a month of so ago. Then I sent in my CPAT right after. Still waiting to hear back. I've heard nothing, but great things about the department.

Only thing I'm worried about is that I heard experience can hurt you. Some said that they prefer people without experience so that they can teach you from scratch. I'm a three departments right now in Milwaukee area of WI. One POC at an all full time dept and two I work part-time hours at some busier POC and combination depts. Like mikeyboy said though, I also heard that they are working on that.

Good luck with everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

do u guys all live out there or what? i'd go through there academy if i could but i live in mich. i am willing to move anywhere tho. no experience but just got my emt. (nationally licensed)

Forum Member

The LA City written is pass/fail. 100% of your score to get hired is in the oral board. Although you don't need your EMT to take the LA City test, they won't hire you if you don't have your EMT.

More on the LA City testing process here: http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm

"Captain Bob"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    The LA City written is pass/fail. 100% of your score to get hired is in the oral board. Although you don't need your EMT to take the LA City test, they won't hire you if you don't have your EMT.

More on the LA City testing process here: http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm

"Captain Bob"
    It should be noted that although 100% of your score to get hired is in the oral board, getting a perfect score on the oral does not necessarily mean you'll get hired. You still have to make it through backgrounds as well.

Thread Information