Thread: Scott Scba

  1. #26
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Chief,

    If you're getting 60 units over two departments you should certainly have some leverage. Make sure they know it's a group purchase and point out that you whoever gets the bid will have two customers for quite some time.

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    327

    Smile Bid Opening

    Just a little FYI, we opened bids yesterday for new SCOTT SCBA's and the low bid was $4,865. This was for a 2007 compliant unit, 4500 psi 45 min carbon fiber cylinder, voice amplifier, EBSS and RIC connections, and spare carbonfiber cylinder.

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WJVaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dickson TN
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Looks like the companies have got their heart right

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spotswood, NJ
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shinds View Post
    Just a little FYI, we opened bids yesterday for new SCOTT SCBA's and the low bid was $4,865. This was for a 2007 compliant unit, 4500 psi 45 min carbon fiber cylinder, voice amplifier, EBSS and RIC connections, and spare carbonfiber cylinder.


    Who did you get you low bid from? We are looking at 20 of the same SCBA's

  5. #30
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Smith's Fire Service out of Eldred, PA (North Central Pa.)

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spotswood, NJ
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Thanks for the info

  7. #32
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Didn't take long for the $7,000 price tags to go away!!

    earl

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    43

    Default 2 questions

    First one is are you allowd to purchase and recieve bids from another scott dealer saying that that dealer is not your regional dealer. There are some things where companies specify you must deal with a dealer assigned to your regional area. Does anyone know if scott does this or do they allow you to buy from whoever you wish to deal with. The second question is when your awarded a grant for multiple opperational and safety items for a large ammount of money this including SCBAs fittness programs and such. When they give you the reduction for 5000 per SCBA does this mean that this is all they will figure in when they give you your total award ammount. Meaning if you asked for $5500 for SCBAs coming to a total of say $120,000 to complete the project for your SCBAs then you have 50,000 for another item and 40,000 for another item coming to a total of 210,000 to complete the whole project. Now they come back with your award and say they reduced you to 5000 per pack but award you the full ammount of everything else you asked for now you have a total award of say 200,000, now you start working on your project and find out that the one project you saved 5,000 and the other project you also saved 5,000 giving you 10,000 extra after completing both the 50,000 and 40,000 project for 45,000 and 35,000. Now my question is are you allowd to apply that extra money from those areas to the SCBA portion of your total project or are you restricted to using 5000 or less?
    Last edited by 5alarmcooker; 03-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.

  9. #34
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shinds View Post
    Just a little FYI, we opened bids yesterday for new SCOTT SCBA's and the low bid was $4,865. This was for a 2007 compliant unit, 4500 psi 45 min carbon fiber cylinder, voice amplifier, EBSS and RIC connections, and spare carbonfiber cylinder.
    Amazing what asking them to sharpen a pencil will do sometimes!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

    "Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  10. #35
    FH Mag/.com Contributor

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5alarmcooker View Post
    First one is are you allowd to purchase and recieve bids from another scott dealer saying that that dealer is not your regional dealer. There are some things where companies specify you must deal with a dealer assigned to your regional area. Does anyone know if scott does this or do they allow you to buy from whoever you wish to deal with. The second question is when your awarded a grant for multiple opperational and safety items for a large ammount of money this including SCBAs fittness programs and such. When they give you the reduction for 5000 per SCBA does this mean that this is all they will figure in when they give you your total award ammount. Meaning if you asked for $5500 for SCBAs coming to a total of say $120,000 to complete the project for your SCBAs then you have 50,000 for another item and 40,000 for another item coming to a total of 210,000 to complete the whole project. Now they come back with your award and say they reduced you to 5000 per pack but award you the full ammount of everything else you asked for now you have a total award of say 200,000, now you start working on your project and find out that the one project you saved 5,000 and the other project you also saved 5,000 giving you 10,000 extra after completing both the 50,000 and 40,000 project for 45,000 and 35,000. Now my question is are you allowd to apply that extra money from those areas to the SCBA portion of your total project or are you restricted to using 5000 or less?
    $5000 total from the award, not from each section.

  11. #36
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    79

    Default

    For the Florida departments waning Scott, ProAm Safety has NxG7s for less than $5K.

    Ben

  12. #37
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firechief47 View Post
    For the Florida departments waning Scott, ProAm Safety has NxG7s for less than $5K.

    Ben
    Pro-am was one of our bidders and they came in at $5,186

  13. #38
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1

    Wink SCBA Grants

    I have done alot of research on 2007 compliant SCBA's that fall close to the 5K alottment of the AFG grants. Scott is willing to deal the prices down close to the 5K threshold. They do force you to deal with regional reps as do most others. Any one that has received a grant should keep an open mind about manufacturers; there are some like MSA, Drager, Survivair, ISI that will give you demo's and then quotes. All have come close to the 5K amount. Drager was the best prices of the group that I delt with. Most manufacturers will not give you their best prices right away, they want to see if you will meet their prices first before negotiating down.
    I know how hard it is to convince people to change from Scott but the others do offer the same basic items at about the same prices. Don't be fooled all manufacturers have alot of room to get close to that 5K mark and the AFG knows it.

  14. #39
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5alarmcooker View Post
    First one is are you allowd to purchase and recieve bids from another scott dealer saying that that dealer is not your regional dealer. ...
    It's your money you can buy from anyone you want to buy from. Buy I wouldn't even consider buying from anyone that does not have mobile service tuck operating in your area (or has a local shop). If you're not getting the price you need (see # listed above) from the local suppliers talk the the regional Scott rep about the issue. He does not set selling prices but he can make any special pricing available to other distributors if the distributor you're talking to is not pricing the equipment appropriately for the discounts they are receiving from Scott. Scott certainly does not want you to buy MSA because a distributor is trying to overprice the equipment. There is a Scott distributor that, with the assistance of Scott can get you the price required to stay with in budget.

    Hopefully you asked for Paktracker, voice amps, radio interface in other equipment.

  15. #40
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    neiowa,

    I don't know if you're specifically referencing Scott or generalizing, but many times like 5alarmcooker has stated, I have been denied quotes/bids from a dealer outside of our area for certain stuff.

  16. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    neiowa,

    I don't know if you're specifically referencing Scott or generalizing, but many times like 5alarmcooker has stated, I have been denied quotes/bids from a dealer outside of our area for certain stuff.
    I got into one of those regional things with Scott on our packs from last year. I'm not a fan of the people that service our region, so I sought out another bid. The guys I talked to were happy to bid after I explained the situation to them (that I wouldn't buy from the guys that service our area).

    After they recieved the bid, I got word the regional Scott rep wasn't happy because he got a complaint from the company in our area. I wrote a quick letter nicely (well, as nicely as I could) stating that we would not deal with the regional distributor and that if wanted, he could give us a full refund and pick the packs up and we'd go with a competitor. I haven't heard anything since in regards to the matter.

    I will note, I'm not the only guy in my area that won't work with that particular company. MSA has made a fortune in our area because of it (which was also explained in my letter). Another department is working on the same thing I did for his grant, but he is calling Scott before he does it. I'll admit, I should have first, but at the time I didn't think to do so. Ever since, if I have an issue I go to company headquarters as a courtesy.

  17. #42
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    I am another department in Catch22's area, that will NOT ever buy Scott until they get a different company to service and supply airpacks here. (SCOTT REP - ARE YOU READING THIS?)

  18. #43
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,586

    Talking

    Certain sales reps are under the mistaken idea that they are the only game in town. It never hurts to take them down a peg or three in their attitudes when they receive a loud phone call from the factory wanting to know what the he!! is going on with their territory.

  19. #44
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I would like to hear how this works out for Poliseno. If I recall correctly, we (another department in NJ) were not able to obtain a quote from a SCOTT distributor outside of NJ. It wasn't until we told the SCOTT rep we were going with another manufacturer, they started their Monty Hall impression and started saying, "Let's make a deal!" It was too late, and we went with another manufacturer. If SCOTT does not smarten up, they are going to lose a lot of business.

  20. #45
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    neiowa,

    I don't know if you're specifically referencing Scott or generalizing, but many times like 5alarmcooker has stated, I have been denied quotes/bids from a dealer outside of our area for certain stuff.
    Scott. Well known the two major brands will compete head to head with promotional pricing (or free 2nd cylinder). Talk to the vendor you WANT to purchase from FIRST so he can get you the bid/spec you're looking for.

    Don't know who the guys in Mo are talking about, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one state/regional distributor of Scott everywhere in the US. There is also a jumbo size distributor of Scott that operates in at least 40 states (who my FD purchased our Scott NxG2 from). And at least one other distributor that has nationwide GSA bids/contract for Scott.

    You need to think about who is going to do your maintenance and annual function test. Freelance contractor (or train someone to do in house)?

  21. #46
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spotswood, NJ
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    I would like to hear how this works out for Poliseno. If I recall correctly, we (another department in NJ) were not able to obtain a quote from a SCOTT distributor outside of NJ. It wasn't until we told the SCOTT rep we were going with another manufacturer, they started their Monty Hall impression and started saying, "Let's make a deal!" It was too late, and we went with another manufacturer. If SCOTT does not smarten up, they are going to lose a lot of business.

    I will let you know how we make out. Also want SCBA did you go with? How do you like it?

  22. #47
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Poliseno, we went with Draeger. We have not received the packs yet. As you will find out here, many people have a very strong opinions on brands, particularly negative opinions against anything not SCOTT. See this one, for example:

    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78879

    Our Department did a thorough evaluation of several brands (SCOTT, MSA, Survivair and Draeger) and Draeger was our unanimous choice, and I don't think SCOTT was second.

    One thing you should do when you deal with vendors, and I have a feeling you may deal with the same vendor we did for SCOTT, is tell them that under no circumstances will you purchase the packs (full pack, with integrated pass and spare bottle) if they don't come in at $5,000.00 and under. We thought we made that clear during our process, and we were surprised to hear from several vendors who claimed they didn't know about the $5,000.00 limit. Makes me want to go out and start selling SCBAs to put the clueless out of business.

  23. #48
    FH Mag/.com Contributor

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Well if you checked pricing for all manufacturers you'd find you wouldn't be selling them under $5k either. Everyone had recent price increases so won't be finding the $5k limit for 2008 if DHS does a market research.

    I don't take issue with anyone's choice of brand, I've worn a lot of different brands and never had an issue with any of them. But that doesn't mean that low bid is the answer if it isn't put together right. Low bid built the Space Shuttles. Also doesn't mean that the highest $ is the highest quality either. Evaluation is the best way to make the decision, especially on something you're going to have for 15 years.

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I should add our evaluations were done in the absence of the committee knowing the prices or bid information. It was based on the committee's evaluation of the SCBAs. It turned out the committee's choice was also the best bid.

  25. #50
    FH Mag/.com Contributor

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    That's the way it should be done. Ideally evaluations are done before bids are done, or at the same time using different people. Even better, do them before you even apply.

    Just out of curiousity, Draeger hasn't passed the test yet for 2007 according to SEI (www.seinet.org). Did they give a timeline for passing? Still only showing ISI, MSA, Sperion (Survivair), and both Scotts as compliant.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scott SCBA
    By fugittk in forum New Web Site Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
  2. Scott Scba - H.u.d/s.o.g
    By JAFA62 in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
  3. Scott SCBA
    By Firefighter430 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 08:52 AM
  4. Scott or MSA scba
    By engine121 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-19-2001, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register