Thread: Scott Scba

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Poliseno View Post
    We are getting awarded Friday for SCBA's. I specified SCOTT SCBA's in my grant request, do I need to get bids from other brands or just bids from 3 SCOTT vendors in my area since SCOTT was specified?

You won't get much competition in pricing if only one brand under eval. Invite in the vendor you want to work with FIRST. Hang on to your spec/info until then. If Scott is concerned you're going to change to another brand (MSA of all other) they will get interested in providing special pricing to ONE vendor. None of the mfg are interested in their distributors cutting each others throats with a price war. Distributor needs to make a profit or they won't stay in business.

Forum Member

Poliseno, our experience in NJ was that there was little difference among different SCOTT vendors in NJ. If I recall correctly, the lowest they got on the AP50 with 30 minute bottles and spares was around $5800/pack. Unless your department or town is going to chip in $800/pack, I would suggest looking at other brands. The other brands, particularly Draeger, are hungry to make inroads in NJ. If you leave an e-mail address, I can get in touch with you offline to discuss details.

Did you find a vendor outside NJ who would bid for you?

Forum Member

I find it interesting that folks in other states have gotten quotes as much as a thousand dollars lower for those same packs from scott. Seems to me that the scott dealers in NJ are price fixing in collusion with each other. Time to place a call to the local MSA Rep and get their price.

Yes I know you only want scotts and so do the dealers: Hence the outrageous prices!!! Something to think about.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't think any of mine in NJ were over $5100 for Scott AP75s. Can't remember for sure, I don't get involved in bids since I don't run there. None of my beeswax as far as I'm concerned, besides I'm just here to get the money.

MembersZone Subscriber

QUOTE=islandfire03;922973]I find it interesting that folks in other states have gotten quotes as much as a thousand dollars lower for those same packs from scott. Seems to me that the scott dealers in NJ are price fixing in collusion with each other. Time to place a call to the local MSA Rep and get their price.

Yes I know you only want scotts and so do the dealers: Hence the outrageous prices!!! Something to think about.[/QUOTE]

No. If you aren't only looking at one brand you're not going to get an extra discount (thru their dealer). If you're looking at multiple brands you can get some price competition between the brands for your business. The mfg and distributor both want your business, but give away $ when not neccessary? Hardly likely?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    Poliseno, our experience in NJ was that there was little difference among different SCOTT vendors in NJ. If I recall correctly, the lowest they got on the AP50 with 30 minute bottles and spares was around $5800/pack. Unless your department or town is going to chip in $800/pack, I would suggest looking at other brands. The other brands, particularly Draeger, are hungry to make inroads in NJ. If you leave an e-mail address, I can get in touch with you offline to discuss details.

Did you find a vendor outside NJ who would bid for you?
    The company in PA as stated above told me they can not sell me SCBA's being Its for NJ. You can reach me at polisenon@coned.com

Forum Member

We recieved our grant for 10 scba's in the 4th round. (1st grant ) We looked at 3 different manufacturers and ended up liking the Scott NxG7. We just ordered them at the end of Janurary and the cost was $5000 per pack plus a spare bottle for each ( Scott was only willing to give us 8 spares but we finally got the 10 ). I understand though Scott's prices went up Feb 1st but not sure by how much.

Forum Member

Scott & MSA must read the boards. I got called by both 3 hrs after the awards were issued. Scott has assured me they can give me a pack and spare bottle for the 5K limit. We will see when they come to meet us in March. MSA also would like to give us a pitch for there product. Will keep you all posted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poliseno View Post
    Scott & MSA must read the boards. I got called by both 3 hrs after the awards were issued. Scott has assured me they can give me a pack and spare bottle for the 5K limit. We will see when they come to meet us in March. MSA also would like to give us a pitch for there product. Will keep you all posted.
    Of course they read the boards and the AFG awards list. They also know that they will meet the $$$ line or we will go to someone who will. Just like pricing on spare carbon bottles at 900.00 . That only worked until we mentioned we were purchasing SCI bottles for half that. All of a sudden they were able to match that price.
    And don't believe they will void your warrantee , they make the bottles for most of the pack makers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jjchief1 View Post
    We recieved our grant for 10 scba's in the 4th round. (1st grant ) We looked at 3 different manufacturers and ended up liking the Scott NxG7. We just ordered them at the end of Janurary and the cost was $5000 per pack plus a spare bottle for each ( Scott was only willing to give us 8 spares but we finally got the 10 ). I understand though Scott's prices went up Feb 1st but not sure by how much.

New Scott combination allows you to now get the NxG for same price as the AP (both with the Ezflo I regulator). Formerly had to buy the EzFlo II regulator which as a couple hundred more. So now no reason no to step up to the NxG (and it is very worthwhile).

Forum Member

We were awarded for 10 SCBA with spare bottles and mask with voice amp in 2007. We have always been a Scott department.

We got quotes from Scott and MSA so far. We were quoted $5470 for the pack plus mask and spare bottle. The Scott quote will leave us paying close to $5000 extra.

The MSA dealer is willing to come down to match our award...he's being more competitive to try to win us over to MSA since a couple other local departments switched to MSA.

We haven't made a final decision on which to give our money to, but you'd think Scott would come down on price to keep us. Scott sells by regions here, so we can't go to any other Scott dealer to purchase them at a better price.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

If possible would any of you awarded SCBA's in 2007 email your narratives?
    marctrollinger@cox.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcmechenvfd View Post
    We were awarded for 10 SCBA with spare bottles and mask with voice amp in 2007. We have always been a Scott department.

We got quotes from Scott and MSA so far. We were quoted $5470 for the pack plus mask and spare bottle. The Scott quote will leave us paying close to $5000 extra.

The MSA dealer is willing to come down to match our award...he's being more competitive to try to win us over to MSA since a couple other local departments switched to MSA.

We haven't made a final decision on which to give our money to, but you'd think Scott would come down on price to keep us. Scott sells by regions here, so we can't go to any other Scott dealer to purchase them at a better price.

Read thru discussion above. Contact the Scott regional rep about MSA/competitve pricing. There are also at least two major vendors that sell Scott nationwide (or most of the US).

Forum Member

The price quotes we are getting for the 2008 AFG are above the $5000 limit on Scott and MSA. Do we put these quoted prices in the grant app and then wait to see if we get reduced later?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd suggest using the quote/quotes you are getting if (or when) DHS reduces allowble to whatever # they think appropriate, price competition likely will pressure the mfg to make price concession in order to "get the job done". Then you'll at least have sufficient $ to complete your project. Can count on price being higher a year from now.

Alternative might be that by asking for a lower $ amount might make your project more competitive. But what $ cap is DHS going to use for 2008? When is your grant (if successful) going to happen? Can you buy at 2008 prices or will you have to buy at 2009 prices. You could take this years $5000 cap and add $x to it as a median. Perhaps Brian has an idea on the cost benefit angle of what $ to request.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RES81CUE View Post
    If possible would any of you awarded SCBA's in 2007 email your narratives?
    marctrollinger@cox.net

Sent to you. It also has exhaust system & Generator along with SCBA's. Any questions let me know.

Forum Member

Default slightly off topic?

My Dept was awarded AFG for replacing 8 SCBA and upgrading 4 others to the new 07 standard. While writing the grant, I got an estimate of what an upgrade'kit' would run us, but it turns out now that SCOTT will not be making a '02 - '07 upgrade kit (would need to change out too much...)

Question I have is (before I contact my FPS) has anybody run into this yet? I could get the 'missing' components to make it similar to the 07 (but without the sealed electronics and the fact they have not / will not be tested for cert...) but they won't be NFPA 07 compliant...

Other problem becomes the fact we were trying to save AFG and us the monies by 'upgrading' the packs instead of replacing them (since they are only 4 years old) there is a considerable difference (like around $2,000.00 each) between 'upgrade' and replacement that was not factored in, of which we do not have the funds for...

Any thoughts how I can approach this with the powers to be? Suggestions? Thanks.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You mean no upgrade from 97 to 07. I already have pricing on upgrades from 2002 to 2007 from Scott (and 1-2 other manufacturers) so far on official and certified upgrade kits.

No one is doing 97-07 because to do that it costs around $4000 with no cylinders. So that upgrade isn't cost-effective for anyone since the new packs are $5500-6000 with new cylinders.

Forum Member

Nope, these are 2002 edition SCBA's... Problem becomes due to the major overhaul of the electronics due to the 'sealed' requirement, the entire pressure reducer was redesigned. In order to 'upgrade' these packs, I'd have to replace the pressure reducer, all the electronics, and the regulator. The only remaining components would be the backframe, mask, and bottles. Scott has not created an 'upgrade' kit for 02 to 07 that I've been advised of (I'm a Scott certified technician) Suggestions from the sales reps would be to replace the pack in it's entirity.

Problem becomes that while researching for the '07 AFG, the sales folks estimated there would be a kit and estimated a cost for me as a place holder. I used the cost savings as part of my justification for upgrading them, only to find out now that there will be no upgrade kit available. I could replace the parts, but it would not be NFPA certified (they have not applied for certification for 02 - 07 upgrade) Otherwise, the purchase of new packs would cost more than we applied for...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Might want to check, talked to several Scott regional reps over the past 3 months, there are upgrade kits available with part #'s and everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not as of Feb 29 according to Scott Regional Rep in Illinois (who I know you've meet).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I stand corrected, no part #'s. But kit is being made, there will be a 2002 to 2007 one, saw the paperwork on it Thursday night.

Forum Member

Ok....we took a lot of what was said on this forum to heart and have tried to get Scott and MSA quotes better so we aren't paying as much over our award amount. We have always been a Scott dept. so MSA was giving us a pretty good quote...but our Regional Scott Rep still wouldn't come down on his quote. So we went another step further and called Finley Fire (our Scott Dealer). We told them about the above and that we'd like a better quote or would go to MSA.

The President of Finley Fire wrote us back with an awesome quote and now MSA is trying to come down on theirs...so we aren't sure which we'll go with in the long run....but it will be much less than our award amount YEAH!!!!!!

If interested...the quote we're getting is $49,500 for 10 Scott Airpaks with a total of 20 45 min cylinders, 10 pass devices, 25 AV3000 facemasks, 25 Epic voice amps and brackets, and 25 fit testing with delivery included.

If we go with this quote...we'll have $8000 left over...unbelievable.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Amazing what a little negotiation will get you. We worked extra bottles, personal mask, voice amps and all into ours as well with this friendly negotiation. They have the lee way, just gotta make them see the light sometimes.

Forum Member

What's amazing is that some dealers were trying to quote as much as a thousand $$$ higher per unit than what they end up finally charging .
    The company wouldn't look favorably at being the salesman that lost a long term customer to the competition over a few hundred dollars per unit.

Thread Information