+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Scott Scba

Forum Member

Cool Scott Scba

Has anyone had any luck with SCOTT meeting the 5k limit? We are looking a SCOTT 4.5 with voice amp, EBBS system, Pack Alert,heads-up display, and spare 4500 carbon cylinder. The best price so far has been $5200 +/-

Forum Member

$5,200 doesn't sound too bad to me Chief, but perhaps someone who's been involved in recent purchases here can find something a bit better. I can't believe you'll get a whole lot less, however.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is the about the same figure I recieved from our sales rep. I requested a quote just to see where pricing was and for future reference.

Forum Member

shinds, give me your email and I will give you the prices I recieved, also what state are you from. This seems to make a difference in the price for some reason.

Forum Member

We received a figure that was pretty darn close to $6K for the 2007 compliant SCBA, two bottles, face peice, and EBBS. I've been told that 2007 apps are getting reduced to $5K. Is this correct?

Forum Member

Ryan:

This is correct, all of our customers have been cut to the $5k figure.

Stay safe,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

that is correct , The AFG will only give 5k per 2007 compliant airpack , no exceptions granted.
    Thats still a good deal with the feds picking up the majority of the cost.
    It will make the manufacturers a little more competitive if they want to sell their product. We have beaten that price with MSA, Scott came in around 5750.00

Forum Member

Oooofff, that's gonna be rough. Well we'll have to see where the chips land then.

MembersZone Subscriber

You still have one option available to increase the funding level. Check out the posting that Brian had on an email for SCBA funding.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94170

It allows for an amendment for additional funding to purchase SCBA. There are a number of steps to complete, but in a nutshell you must obtain bids/quotes from 3 different manufacturerers. If the prices exceed the $5000 limit, you would recieve the lowest of the 3. It may not be enough to fully fund the Scott SCBA, but it might take out the sting of the difference that your department has to make up.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got our Scotts at $4922. They are 2007 compliant with voice amps, spare bottles, and "Pak Tracker". They would be less with out the tracking. Bottles are alluminum.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CordovaFire View Post
    Bottles are alluminum.
    That's the key.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    That's the key.
    Only if you are looking at Scott 2216 SCBA, aluminum is not an option for Scott 4500 SCBA.

There is a significant savings between the two, could be as high as a 50%.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Funny thing is in some cases I've seen the composite 4500s come in less than the aluminum 2216s.

$5200 isn't bad at all for anyone's packs. Also remember that voice amps are not a requirement for Scott since their masks meet the decibel standard without them so if you can't afford the difference then drop the voice amps. I like them myself regardless, but if affordability comes into play now I'd rather have a new pack. I haven't checked into the other packs on the market, it's on the list along with a pile of other things. Like tile, bathtub installation...

Anyone hear anything about the other S's packs lately? They no-bid one of the apps I worked on, and regional rep didn't answer the question from city council about the stability of the company let alone answer timeline of having a pack pass the test. Didn't think it was that bad.

Forum Member

Our initial quote for Scott 2216 (NFPA 2007) with (2) composite bottles, face piece with voice amp came in under $4700. The rep said the number was a little high and would more than likely come down by award time. Still waiting for the announcement, returned 10 q's the first of November

Forum Member

Default SCOTT Pricing

This thread is a great example of the power of the Firehouse Forum. We were just awarded approx 400K for a regional SCBA project and are currently in discussions with a SCOTT vendor and SCOTT rep.
    Thanks for all your postings.
    Please keep them coming!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default put out to bid

We were awarded in the first round for all new SCBA ($306K worth) with no reduction asked. We put the project out to bid and saved almost $50K on the project. Saved us a ton on the project.

Downfall was that the grant admin from gov't said that because our award was so big they wouldn't allow us to spend anything excess funds on fire prevention stuff and we had to turn it all back in. We could have really boosted our program with much needed props but heck, they paid for the SCBAs so how much could we argue?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shinds View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with SCOTT meeting the 5k limit? We are looking a SCOTT 4.5 with voice amp, EBBS system, Pack Alert,heads-up display, and spare 4500 carbon cylinder. The best price so far has been $5200 +/-
    You can get AP75 4500psi 45min, w/spare bottle, voice amp/mount and pak tracker for under $5000ea Key is if the supplier (Scott) want the sale (they are worried that MSA is going to get it). IE Scott will allow special pricing on the spare cylinder.

Every pak has heads up/PASS. Dual EBSS (if you actually need it) or NxG7 will push you a bit over $5000. If you need it coming up with a couple hundred $ ea isn't going to ruin anyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    You can get AP75 4500psi 45min, w/spare bottle, voice amp/mount and pak tracker for under $5000ea Key is if the supplier (Scott) want the sale (they are worried that MSA is going to get it). IE Scott will allow special pricing on the spare cylinder.

Every pak has heads up/PASS. Dual EBSS (if you actually need it) or NxG7 will push you a bit over $5000. If you need it coming up with a couple hundred $ ea isn't going to ruin anyone.
    You are 100% correct neiowa: If scott wants to really sell their products they WILL have to be competitive. MSA has shown they are willing to sell for 5k or less and this should force the rest of the vendors to follow suit. Departments are not going to pay inflated prices just to buy a name plate.

that is unless you have money to burn!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question SCBA increase?

We are having the opposite problem, Scotts initial qoute was right where we needed it to be ( around $5200 including the pac tracker option), MSA came in at $6300. We are currently an MSA user, so we called them back in for another look. That was 2 weeks ago & we still haven't heard anything?
    Has anybody heard of price increases after Jan. 1. Maybe if Scott is planning an increase MSA is trying to delay us so they can be more competitive?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

All manufacturers will have a 3-5% price increase last I heard from my various clients that use them. So Scott's price increase isn't going to make that MSA price any better since both are going up. Even if MSA doesn't increase, you're still not going to be over $5500 for the Scott pack. Even my MSA customers that are staying MSA weren't quoted that high. Looks like someone is trying to make a ton of profit on you thinking you're not switching brands. Seen that too often from lots of different vendors. Ain't in the bag until it's in the bag....

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chief41 View Post
    We are having the opposite problem, Scotts initial qoute was right where we needed it to be ( around $5200 including the pac tracker option), MSA came in at $6300. We are currently an MSA user, so we called them back in for another look. That was 2 weeks ago & we still haven't heard anything?
    Has anybody heard of price increases after Jan. 1. Maybe if Scott is planning an increase MSA is trying to delay us so they can be more competitive?
    Chief 41 : you need to have a little sit down and come to Jesus meeting with your MSA rep. They can do better if you lean on them a little.We started out higher and then explained that even though we had been a MSA department for many years, we were being urged to switch to scott for interoperability with our neighboring dept's that provide mutual aid. All of a sudden they got out their pencil sharpener and found the discount pricing to keep us MSA. good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=chief41;899165]We are having the opposite problem, Scotts initial qoute was right where we needed it to be ( around $5200 including the pac tracker option), MSA came in at $6300. We are currently an MSA user, so we called them back in for another look. That was 2 weeks ago & we still haven't heard anything?.../QUOTE]

That's total nonsense. You asked for bids and you got quotes for the 2 good brands. To heck with you MSA vendor. There aren't any do-overs. MSA bid too high, forget about them. You'll be happier with the Scott units (and paktracker) anyhow.
    Last edited by neiowa; 12-29-2007 at 09:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    That's total nonsense. You asked for biss and you got quotes for the 2 good brands. To heck with you MSA vendor. There is any do-overs. MSA bid too high, forget about them. You'll be happier with the Scott units (and paktracker) anyhow.
    I have to agree. It is not fair, and in fact can lead to issues playing with
    the bids like that.

Although you don't have to take the lowest bid, asking one of the bidders
    for a do-over - that just is not right.

Now, if you can show the Scott bids do not meet specs, (and not for some
    inane part like color of the carrying case) then you throw the bids out and
    rebid. But if it is not a good reason, you can run into issues.

Now, if you speced something that is scott specific, or MSA specific, WITH GOOD REASON, such as the bottles must be interoperable with your existing packs, and the competing bid does not match, then you again have reason to throw out the bids and redo. If you did not spec that, redo the bid process.

Tis a slippery slope

MembersZone Subscriber

The original "QOUTE" (not bid) we received from MSA did not include, an accountability system, after the Scott rep. came in and demonstrated theirs we decided it was something we would like to have. That's why we went back to MSA for a second look, that and the fact the MSA dealer was unable to even show us the new 2007 compliant model at the time.

Forum Member

I have to say all the info i read here is a big help

we got our 1199 for SCBA regional grant, now both departments are very big MSA users right now , but everyone around us is SCOTT,

now on inital pricing, MSA was way out and SCOTT was very close, now we all agreeded on being open minded but want each company to know they got to work there pencil hard and most important give us a dependable unit and service with it

our big concern is getting the unit price close to 5,000.00 per unit if not under and from reading here i think it can be done, we are looking at 60 units

NEIOWA you bring up some great facts on your post, that is the unit we bid so it will be quite interesting, just anyone use the paktracker, how is that working out
    Last edited by hfdchiefone; 01-02-2008 at 11:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information