MembersZone Subscriber

Default Captain to New Recurit

I am in the process that will have me start over, I am currently a Capt. with a smaller dept. than the one that I am appling for. The question will come up about how I will handle being a "NEWBIE" again. I have been a CO for 3 years now with 14 years of service at the ripe old age of 28. Any and all help on how to answer this questions would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Went from Training Officer (4th in overall command) to probie myself.

Let your actions speak for you, but don't seek out opportunities to let your actions speak.

The other guys will know your history. Don't bring it up unless asked. When asked, answer the question or issue, and then close with something like "was that helpful?" or "did that answer your question?", and then don't miss a good opportunity to shut up.

When someone tries to explain something or show you something you already know, do not ever say "yeah I know that" or anything along those lines. Thank them for showing you. Yes, I did grind my teeth when - after what was at that point an eleven-year career - a 2/20 kid "taught" me to roll hose with the male coupling in.

When it comes time to share war stories, keep your participation scaled back, but not so much that it is obvious. Don't tell stories that draw attention to your CO time.

As you let your actions speak, if you do it correctly, the discomfort on both sides will quickly fade.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 12-21-2007 at 03:28 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with seasoned veterans taking entry level or lateral tests is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board's skills are rusty and antiquated. It's hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan is in place. In the process let them know you have seen what it takes to be a rookie and you're prepared to start at the bottom like every job you have ever had.

I think this says it all:

It was five years ago that I first visited bulletin board. It was how I found and landed my first job at a small career department, and served for four and a half years. The entire time I wanted to make the lateral move to my hometown dept.--a larger city, more opportunities, Paramedic and tech. rescue opportunities...But I was a bone head. I thought because I was already on the job elsewhere, I could waltz through the process, and to some extent I did--all the way to the Chief's interview twice, but never got the call. Laterals, my advice to you is this: we are our own worst enemies...you think you are a good judge of your interview skills, trust me you're not. Don't be a bonehead like me and go through the process twice before getting help from professionals on this board. Think this is some baloney sell-out advertisement? Well, all I can say is after five years of trying, my recruit academy starts in two weeks. You be the judge.
    Matt

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information