Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I instilled the fear of god in them about that. "If you open this nozzle in the building, YOU will be making the drywall repairs with YOUR money."
    Even with the fear of God........................ Explorer Murphy is always lurking around the corner.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Not an Explorer drill, the department's drill... but it's worth mentioning.
    The department was lucky enough to get in a new hotel in town that is being built. Nothing is complete on it. Tonight, we smoked up the 2nd and 3rd floors for the department's drill. We placed victims in random spots... RDRDxplorer never got found on the 3rd floor as he was in the bathroom and they never looked in there. But I made my self easy and laid in a doorway on the 2nd floor.
    I must add that the place is going to be really nice... Big rooms. Bass Pro Shops is building across the street and is due open I believe early fall of this year last I heard. So if anyone is coming in to shop, I would recommend this place (if you don't have a problem with the hotel chain which I am unsure of what it is right now). Small pool... if you care. The rooms make up for it though.

Album Link-
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...20New%20Hotel/
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Don't you hate the reflective stripes? The always wreck the photos. The reflective stripes kick the iris down and the whole picture becomes dark.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Yes... I hate it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

BUMP! Lets see some more guys.

http://www.nmvfc.org/explorers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NismoFire View Post
    Simulating charged hoselines:

Attach a gate valve (or hydrant valve, whatever you call it at your dept) to the female end, nozzle at the male end, and hook the whole thing up to a hydrant or discharge on a pumper. Charge the line, then CLOSE the gate valve and remove from hydrant/pumper.

We use that method quite often. You get the weight and awkwardness, all in one whack.
    You can also fill a 25 -50 foot length of old retired hose with sand, and pop either a retired nozzle or a cheap plastic forestry nozzle on the end (plug the nozzle coupling with cloth to avoid losing sand or jamming the bale).

Weight and stiffness is good for exploreres/juniors without the potential for water everywhere. Useful in finished buildings (like the firehall or gov't buildings) where a spill would have to be repaired.

Lots of ideas out there.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Some on here...
    http://explorerpost790.teach-nology.com/index_2.html
    Our Post's (some what) new website put together by Jake's brother.

2008 Mock Disaster Day in Monroe, MI - Previous post from Jake in this thread is from 2007.
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...saster%202008/

Not so much as in training... but our Muster from July of this year.
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...20Muster%2008/
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Default more training is better

hey, nice training pics. you guys definitely have some good "Junior/explorer" drills out there. anyone out there know of a device that is used to fill the hoses with air instead of water using a trucks on board air compressor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957 View Post
    anyone out there know of a device that is used to fill the hoses with air instead of water using a trucks on board air compressor?
    I soppose you could do that, I'd recommend just having a gate on the end of the line and then some reducers and have the young members air it up manually.

Forum Member

There is probably no such thing as an official device for filling a fire hose with air. Anything that does that will probably be something custom made by the guys in da' house with some ingenuity. To interface to the apparatus air supply, it would be nothing more than an air chuck and a regulator. No different than the horns. If its a rescue truck with an air compressor for tools, you could use that too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957 View Post
    hey, nice training pics. you guys definitely have some good "Junior/explorer" drills out there.

We have a pretty good drill schedule and a pretty good base of things we train on. We do both in class and hands on stuff - we try to even it out as best as we can. Our problem is, we plan big drills and only half the post shows. The nights we don't really plan much, everyone shows up. We're lucky enough to have not only our main department (Rossford) be very good to us, but we have another department (Northwood) that helps us out a lot - we drill at Northwood once a month. We also have a fire training facility (opened in April 2007) (https://www.owens.edu/cep/index.html) that we use every once in a while. So I'd say, we're pretty lucky.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Nice pics and sites.
    Last edited by FDNYexp6012; 09-10-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: b

Forum Member

freewebs.com/fdnyexplorer

Thread Information