Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Explorer drill pictures - Yes, real useful training

Some pictures from an Explorer Drill this week. I thought it would be nice to show some of the grinches around here that not all Explorers / Juniors are useless and they do care about real training, not just flashing lights and leaving school. The ones in orange striped gear are explorers.

I setup a burning pile of pallets behind the building. Used the fog machine to smoke up the building, tripped the fire alarm, and shut off the lights. Everyone "responded on the trucks" and had to do a number of tasks as teams. One team was responsible for setting up ladders and PPV. Another for the water supply (tanker, LDH, etc). The interior team had to pull a line, properly advance into the building, down to the basement and out the back door, then extinguish the fire. Afterwards, we pulled the line back out and did another evolution so everyone got a chance to advance the line and attack the fire. Each team had to properly utilize the radios for communication with command and we even had someone pretend to be dispatch.

This took eight senior firefighters to run including the three drivers. Command, two safety officers, someone inside coaching, and someone tending to the oversized campfire.

For the rule nazis, all of this was designed to be within the scope of practice and what is allowed by OSHA, state child protection laws, department regulations, and common sense. Those wearing packs were not actually on air. The smoke is fake. And the fire was not interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by nmfire; 12-21-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Some more pictures of the "Fire attack".

Unfortunately I just didn't have the time to take pictures of the laddering, PPV, and water supply since I had enough to do running the thing.

Bragging contest eh?!

I'll have to get some of our pictures up!

But seriously, looks and sounds like it was well run and a fun experience for all.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Bragging contest eh?!

I'll have to get some of our pictures up!

But seriously, looks and sounds like it was well run and a fun experience for all.
    Nope. Nothing to brag about. Just trying to show some of the complainers that not every explorer/junior is a punk. I wish more people would do the same. Maybe it would overshadow the other junk that constantly gives them a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Nope. Nothing to brag about. Just trying to show some of the complainers that not every explorer/junior is a punk. I wish more people would do the same. Maybe it would overshadow the other junk that constantly gives them a bad name.
    Nmfire,

I'm sorry if you took offense to my statements. I totally agree with you that many people do not see explorers as anything more than kids who like the flashy lights and want to wear i fight what you fear shirts.

I'll add some of our pics and a short story for some of our drills on this thread. Hopefully this can be the thread where people come to put pics/videos so that the non-believers might change their minds.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

This is a slideshow from our Mock Disaster Event. It is put on by KTorak's post in Mi, and appx. 4-5 Fire Explorer Posts and 1 police post attend every year. The posts act as "fire departments" and respond to "calls" that are actual scenarios set up for each post. These calls can include car fires, medical scenarios, building collapses, etc.

Here are some pictures from a pt extrication drill that we did earlier this spring......obviously didn't do any cutting....yet.....but practiced backboarding, c-spine, etc.

*** Yellow Salad Bowl = Probie
    Traditional = Regular Member

Last edited by backsteprescue; 12-22-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member

http://www.ldvfd.org/drills/MassiveT...ght/index.html

Not really explorer/junior drills, just volunteer drills. The county held a "hell night" for volunteers where we responded to structure fires, auto fires, medical calls, and other things.

anything with 40/sandy spring is us..We had our truck and a chief up there for it.

god

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    http://www.ldvfd.org/drills/MassiveT...ght/index.html

Not really explorer/junior drills, just volunteer drills. The county held a "hell night" for volunteers where we responded to structure fires, auto fires, medical calls, and other things.

anything with 40/sandy spring is us..We had our truck and a chief up there for it.
    wow, that is 'hell' (no pun intended)...amazing photos. I wish we did something like that over here, especially with Voulenteer FF/EMTs/etc...

where was this?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no pictures jake, but we are formally starting a cadet ff program. Starting age 16. Talking with ourinsurance carrier we can train them in all aspects of the job. I will probably get bashed by some, but we watch, handle every cadet carefully. They get lectured about SAFETY, public image, etc....

By this I mean we express to them that public image effects ALL ff's. So they understand that going out in public and bragging about this and that (Which may be blown completley out of proportion) is not COOL. SOG's will be followed and why they are in place.

We assign a safety officer to each cadet during all training excercises. Do they go into an aquired structure, (I am running as I type this) yes. A very short distance to see some fire behavior, feel some heat, and use an SCBA. That is the most dangerous training they will be allowed to do. They basically just get to go in far enough to see the fire and feel a little heat. And NO they do not go interior on structure fires.

There is more they get to do, but got to go. Have a Merry Christmas to ALL.

T.J.

Forum Member

Last edited by ResidentTruckie; 05-16-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    wow, that is 'hell' (no pun intended)...amazing photos. I wish we did something like that over here, especially with Voulenteer FF/EMTs/etc...

where was this?
    It was held at the counties training academy. (Montgomery county PSTA mcfrs.org)

It really was useful training.

We had about 50 volunteers up there for the night.
    Last edited by somebody509; 12-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayFireEater View Post
    I hope I don't make anyone mad or something I am just curious what other states say about juniors and training.

JF38
    PLEASE TRY A SEARCH!!! I beg of you.....PLEASE!

Oh, and the class I am in is FF1+2, then later we will be doing extrication and nims and maybe wildland firefighting too. Its a cool class!
    NIMS isn't all that cool and easy to do on your own time.

Here's some food for the fire...no pun intended

Sorry for the crappy pic quality...

-This drill had everything a real structure fire would have. Safety officer, OIC, water supply coordination, full turnouts and SCBA, Re-Hab is also a must with live burns...especially when this drill took place in the summer. All the participants were "certified" with SCBA use and handling. There were also firefighters with FF 1&2 certifications on scene.
    Last edited by Motorhead90; 01-01-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Here are some pics from a search drill we did a month or so ago. Smoked up the second floor of the station and a neighboring dept has a fitting to charge hoselines with air pressure so as to simulate the awkwardness (NOT THE WEIGHT! ) of a charged hoseline.

More pics......

Here are some other pictures from another search drill we did. This one was in a neighboring town at an acquired structure which was about to be burned by that towns FD.

Forum Member

RFRD... Nice pictures.
    Whose photobucket are those from...?

Last edited by RFxplr326; 12-30-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Good to see everyone out doin some good solid training. When I was a Junior I did training with the rest of the dept(seeing as I was the only one) and generally there wasn't much in the way of training done. So this is nice to see. Prepares these future generations of firefighters for what they are going to face in the years to come.

Funny how a lot of people complain any other time, but when there are good stories to come out of the Junior/Explorer section and not how many lights can I have on my Chevette, you never see any of those people.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information