Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FSVO in IL Inquiry

I have recently signed up for FSVO Online through the Illinois Fire Service Institute in Illinois. I know that there is a practical portion as well. Does anyone have information about the entire OSFM Certification for this? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber bfdpipeman's Avatar

Here's the info on the course:

http://www.state.il.us/osfm/PSandE/FSVO.htm

There's a classroom portion, a driving practical, and then of course a state test. The driving portion is relatively easy, and any compotent driver should be able to handle the course. Then again, I had some troubles getting through it with out 76 telesquirt the first time through... that thing is a beast!!!

It was a piece of cake man... I took the class in 2 nights w/ the on site exam, the practical on a sat. I received my results in the standard turn around time of the IL OSFM, like 6 months later!!! LOL

I had crappy shaking mirrors on an older engine to contend with on my practical. The cone weave sucked... lol
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

I am a trainer for this course and help teach it at my FPD. The course isn't heard. I believe it is designed to get people to THINK while driving and the Competency course is to get a driver used to their vehicle. I haven't really seen too many experienced drivers have a problem with it.

As far as the serpentine (the cone weave), there is a trick to it for backing through it. While backing, and you get the cone in your mirror, don't turn until the cone reaches the rear tire...then turn and start watching for the other cone in the opposite mirror. Every time, turn when the cone reaches the rear tire! Then you won't be swinging the front end out too far and trying to over compensate.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    As far as the serpentine (the cone weave), there is a trick to it for backing through it. While backing, and you get the cone in your mirror, don't turn until the cone reaches the rear tire...then turn and start watching for the other cone in the opposite mirror. Every time, turn when the cone reaches the rear tire! Then you won't be swinging the front end out too far and trying to over compensate.
    Thanks for the tip. We are taking the course now and will have the practical soon.

Thread Information