Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: backdraft movie

Forum Member

I enjoyed the movie and take it for exactly that, a movie.

I still wish, though, that the fires put off as little smoke inside the building as those did. That would make things so much easier.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    ANYway.... since I have never had the good luck to be able to work a department with a tiller, one question comes to mind.

At the beginning of the chase, it is just Bond and his girl in the cab, no one in the tiller. If no one is holding the tiller steering wheel, will the rear axle tend to drive in a straight line and "trail" like a normal trailer, or would it turn one way or the other and "lock" in the outward position with no one holding the wheel? Secondary to that, I assume there is a way to lock the rear axle into the straight position to make it possible to drive the truck with one person if necessary.

Any insight and education appreciated....
    The steer axle of the trailer is just like that of the steer axle of the tractor, although with more weight on it. They can, will, and have turned by themselves. I can think of numerous occasions in (name of major city in southeastern Pa.) where the driver has taken off without the tillerman in place, turned out of quarters, and the trailer kept going in it's own direction. One company's piece wiped out a pole and several firefighter's personal cars across the street from the firehouse and totalled the trailer.

And yes, most manufacturers have a "pin" feature, you have to get on a creeper under the truck and "pin" the steering mechanism in place.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    Same thing happens with a ladder truck at the end of the movie Con-Air. The ladder starts the raise as its tearing through the streets of Vegas and the bad guy at the end of the stick goes through the side of a bridge. Seems to me like some one went to fantasy land or smoked one to many doobies while writing the script.

As to Backdraft.... Its a freaking movie. It was entertaining but no where near realistic. But thats what movies are supposed to be. They are supposed to broaden your imagination.

I liked Ladder 49 better. Everyone says I kinda look like Jouquin Phenix. I don't see the resemblance.
    1.Didn't a similar scene happen in "Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines"?No,wait,that was a crane Kristen Lokken was "driving"down the street with the outriggers extended and knocking cars and trucks ever'whichaway.Jeez,you'd think the mechanic and driver characters in movies would check out that hydraulic system before the killer robot or Double naught spy came along to take their trucks.

2.Yes,"Backdraft","Ladder 49","Firehouse"and even "Emergency"(boy am I gonna get in trouble for that one)are just entertainment.Don't go drawing ideas on what to do from whatever Scott Glenn,Russel Crowe,Jouquinn Phoenix and John Revolting did in their movie.Remember,any scene where an actor is going into a burning chemical plant sans SCBA or even a hose is NOT something that you should emulate.

3.I don't see it either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The steer axle of the trailer is just like that of the steer axle of the tractor, although with more weight on it. They can, will, and have turned by themselves. I can think of numerous occasions in (name of major city in southeastern Pa.) where the driver has taken off without the tillerman in place, turned out of quarters, and the trailer kept going in it's own direction. One company's piece wiped out a pole and several firefighter's personal cars across the street from the firehouse and totalled the trailer.

And yes, most manufacturers have a "pin" feature, you have to get on a creeper under the truck and "pin" the steering mechanism in place.
    Thanks FWD, that was very helpful. It's reassuring to know my assumptions were more or less on target, and it's always a good day when I learn something I didn't know before.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    2.Yes,"Backdraft","Ladder 49","Firehouse"and even "Emergency"(boy am I gonna get in trouble for that one)are just entertainment.Don't go drawing ideas on what to do from whatever Scott Glenn,Russel Crowe,Jouquinn Phoenix and John Revolting did in their movie.Remember,any scene where an actor is going into a burning chemical plant sans SCBA or even a hose is NOT something that you should emulate.

Based on other threads, maybe Hollyweird does their technical research on Youtube......

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    What do you people want? Backdraft was good and entertaining. It's a movie, and an old one at that! What do we compare it to? That crybaby Ladder 49? Now that was a pack whiney, sissies. I cringe every time I see that overly dramatic, everyone taking themselves so seriously, pile of embarrassing crap. Who really goes home and complains to their wives? And who's wife is really that concerned? That syrupy drivel went on and on until I can't stand to even look at it anymore. The Backdraft guys were more my style - rowdy, drunken jagoffs out to have a good time, not cry in their beers all night thinking what big hero's they are. Merry Christmas.
    OUTSTANDING OBSERVATION. When people asked me if the movie was realistic I tell them the only scene in the movie I thought was most accurate was the toast at the dinner table.

I think it appropriate that we recognize the two asswipes... Probationary Firemen... among us today who were officially baptized into the world of Old Man Fire. First, to Tim. Despite the fact that he has a rather dull expression, and a really hideous pair of ears; he not only took on the beast but pulled from its clutches, assisted by a more famous and brilliant firefighter, me, a kicking and screaming civilian who will probably wind up suing us for breaking her fingernails. And to Brian...
    [pulls up mannequin]
    whose own contribution was not only more beautiful but less likely to sue. You know, when I learned that both McCaffrey brothers would be assigned at the same station together at the same time, my heart was filled with... a sudden desire to transfer. So raise a glass, gents. To funny-looking Tim, and the McCaffrey brothers, who have gotten on each other's nerves so badly and dedicated themselves to still be ****ed off at each other. Gentlemen...
    F*** YOU.
    Last edited by scfire86; 12-26-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

best line of the whole movie... sums up High Rise training...

How are we supposed to know if the floor is on fire in one of these?

When the doors open, if it's hot, don't get out.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Ladder 49 is a better movie.

Dont let the man with the 2nd place complex from Chicago tell you different.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post

Hey, what about that big movie they made featuring the fdny? What? Oh sorry, I didn't know THEY NEVER MADE ONE!

PS Seriously, Ladder 49 sucked. Sissies...
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Hey, what about that big movie they made featuring the fdny? What? Oh sorry, I didn't know THEY NEVER MADE ONE!

Backdraft was originally supposed to be about NY...but the Chicago guys cried because they were only famous because of a stupid cow 136 years ago. So NY let them have it.

P.S. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was better than them both. And Jessica Biel.....

Forum Member

Backdraft was originally supposed to be about NY...
    But they wanted an action movie, not a bunch of loads sleeping on the couch all day so they switched it to Chicago!

P.S. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was better than them both. And Jessica Biel.....
    Whoever produced Chuck and Larry needs to be beaten severely!

But they wanted an action movie, not a bunch of loads sleeping on the couch all day so they switched it to Chicago!

Whoever produced Chuck and Larry needs to be beaten severely!
    How did you get a tape of my firehouse?

There was something being beaten severely while watching that movie, but it wasnt the producer.

Forum Member

There was something being beaten severely while watching that movie, but it wasnt the producer.
    You knicknamed it "The Producer"? Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense...

You knicknamed it "The Producer"? Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense...
    How did this seaman work out for you?

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...6&sectionId=46

Wink

i agree with you about ladder49.let's watch it,i will bring some pop corn,lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Some Guy

What do you people want? Backdraft was good and entertaining. It's a movie, and an old one at that! What do we compare it to? That crybaby Ladder 49? Now that was a pack whiney, sissies. I cringe every time I see that overly dramatic, everyone taking themselves so seriously, pile of embarrassing crap. Who really goes home and complains to their wives? And who's wife is really that concerned? That syrupy drivel went on and on until I can't stand to even look at it anymore. The Backdraft guys were more my style - rowdy, drunken jagoffs out to have a good time, not cry in their beers all night thinking what big hero's they are. Merry Christmas.

So true about the wife part. Mine could careless about what I do. She teaches in a pretty hardcore area. She thinks that my job is cake compared to hers. (I am sure it's true.)

Here is a classic phone conversation I had with her last year:

Me “Yeah, what’s up?”
    Her “I am in the parking lot behind my school.”
    Me “OK”
    Her “It looks like the house is burning next to the parking lot”
    Me “Why do you think that?”
    Her “There is fire coming out of the window.”
    Me “SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING ME?”
    Her “WELL, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?”
    Me “CALL 911!!!” (Click)
    This space for rent

I liked the funny little cat with the hat, sword and boots. Also the donkey was good.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Oh sorry, I didn't know THEY NEVER MADE ONE!

Hold on now; don't forget about the movie Frequency.

NYC does have a point about Jessica Biel, though.

Good thing's happening

Correction according to imdb.com Ladder 49 was supposed to take place in NYC but was moved after 9/11.

"The original script, written before the terrorist attacks on the USA of 11 September 2001, set the events in New York."

Rob
    Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 12-28-2007 at 01:13 AM.

Good thing's happening

sorry a double post...

Thread Information