Thread: backdraft movie

Everyone goes home!

Default backdraft movie

whats is your option on the movie backdraft? and are there any other good similar movies out there

Forum Member

Let me grab my popcorn cause this one may get funny.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

It looks hot in there

I prefer Towering Inferno myself, but, you can't beat the classic lines in backdraft.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Permanently Removed

Ladder 48.5

Forum Member

i prefer the movie ladder49.

but if you want real firefighting,watch" into the fire" by BCouturier,great documentary about firefighters.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FFYagour88 View Post
    whats is your option on the movie backdraft? and are there any other good similar movies out there
    I'm confused, Backdraft and "good" used in the same statement?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Am I being delusional or did I really just read a thread asking people's opinions of backdraft?????

BTW, I like it. As entertainment,which it should be nothing more.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry, much like the pizza of Chicago and its baseball teams....

Eng17 and Truck 46 running and responding to every fire in Chicago, while made goosebumps rise in my skin, and filled me with a longing to do something I haven't done since a very bad bar night in Chile....

They don't compare to.....

The great Tommy Gavin and the boys of Eng99 and Lad 62.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

If you think Backdraft is bad, rent "Ablaze".
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

What do you people want? Backdraft was good and entertaining. It's a movie, and an old one at that! What do we compare it to? That crybaby Ladder 49? Now that was a pack whiney, sissies. I cringe every time I see that overly dramatic, everyone taking themselves so seriously, pile of embarrassing crap. Who really goes home and complains to their wives? And who's wife is really that concerned? That syrupy drivel went on and on until I can't stand to even look at it anymore. The Backdraft guys were more my style - rowdy, drunken jagoffs out to have a good time, not cry in their beers all night thinking what big hero's they are. Merry Christmas.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    What do you people want? Backdraft was good and entertaining. It's a movie, and an old one at that! What do we compare it to? That crybaby Ladder 49? Now that was a pack whiney, sissies. I cringe every time I see that overly dramatic, everyone taking themselves so seriously, pile of embarrassing crap. Who really goes home and complains to their wives? And who's wife is really that concerned? That syrupy drivel went on and on until I can't stand to even look at it anymore. The Backdraft guys were more my style - rowdy, drunken jagoffs out to have a good time, not cry in their beers all night thinking what big hero's they are. Merry Christmas.
    i clearly understand your point of view,you work and live in Chicago,so.....
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking of movies, we're watching that James Bond flick which involves a car chase where Bond and his girl flee the police in a mid-70s American LaFrance tiller ladder.......

Suspension of belief is necessary of course, as the ladder's "locking lever" or whatever it was rattles loose as they careen through the streets, and the aerial begins swinging wildly from side to side as the chase goes on, whacking into a variety of objects. Obviously the writers don't know squat about hydraulics on a ladder truck (though clearly the props people did after it was over, as they had to disable or override the stuff to make those scenes work). I can see some side to side movement if it wasn't totally secured, but not the free-swing action like a worn-out toy fire truck.

ANYway.... since I have never had the good luck to be able to work a department with a tiller, one question comes to mind.

At the beginning of the chase, it is just Bond and his girl in the cab, no one in the tiller. If no one is holding the tiller steering wheel, will the rear axle tend to drive in a straight line and "trail" like a normal trailer, or would it turn one way or the other and "lock" in the outward position with no one holding the wheel? Secondary to that, I assume there is a way to lock the rear axle into the straight position to make it possible to drive the truck with one person if necessary.

Any insight and education appreciated....
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 12-25-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Same thing happens with a ladder truck at the end of the movie Con-Air. The ladder starts the raise as its tearing through the streets of Vegas and the bad guy at the end of the stick goes through the side of a bridge. Seems to me like some one went to fantasy land or smoked one to many doobies while writing the script.

As to Backdraft.... Its a freaking movie. It was entertaining but no where near realistic. But thats what movies are supposed to be. They are supposed to broden your imagination.

I liked Ladder 49 better. Everyone says I kinda look like Jouquin Phenix. I don't see the resemblance.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

backdraft? i think every firefighter should see it and learn from what i think is the best training video out there for firefighting!! its so realistic and (not to mention) so up-to-date with 21st century technology that nobody should go without watching it!

*for the record yes, this post is just bleeding with sarcasm*
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by res54cuecaptain View Post
    backdraft? i think every firefighter should see it and learn from what i think is the best training video out there for firefighting!! its so realistic and (not to mention) so up-to-date with 21st century technology that nobody should go without watching it!

*for the record yes, this post is just bleeding with sarcasm*
    Wait a second........by bleeding with sarcasm you mean that you really don't think that its a great training movie?

Hell thats our whole training library right there.

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ladder 49 and Backdraft are movies, how many cops that you know shoot at cars they are chasing until they explode. They are movies!
    For the record I like Backdraft better, I can't swallow Vinnie Barbarino as a chief officer. A fire? "What? .... Where? ...."

Forum Member

Backdraft happens when my wife steals the covers off of me while I'm sleeping!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Smile Other things that cause backdrafts

Backdrafts occur after eating very spicy food....

Forum Member

I'm not too fond of it and I don't really have a reason why. Just never enjoyed it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Backdraft happens when my wife steals the covers off of me while I'm sleeping!

lmao.nice!
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

Forum Member

I enjoyed the movie and take it for exactly that, a movie.

I still wish, though, that the fires put off as little smoke inside the building as those did. That would make things so much easier.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    ANYway.... since I have never had the good luck to be able to work a department with a tiller, one question comes to mind.

At the beginning of the chase, it is just Bond and his girl in the cab, no one in the tiller. If no one is holding the tiller steering wheel, will the rear axle tend to drive in a straight line and "trail" like a normal trailer, or would it turn one way or the other and "lock" in the outward position with no one holding the wheel? Secondary to that, I assume there is a way to lock the rear axle into the straight position to make it possible to drive the truck with one person if necessary.

Any insight and education appreciated....
    The steer axle of the trailer is just like that of the steer axle of the tractor, although with more weight on it. They can, will, and have turned by themselves. I can think of numerous occasions in (name of major city in southeastern Pa.) where the driver has taken off without the tillerman in place, turned out of quarters, and the trailer kept going in it's own direction. One company's piece wiped out a pole and several firefighter's personal cars across the street from the firehouse and totalled the trailer.

And yes, most manufacturers have a "pin" feature, you have to get on a creeper under the truck and "pin" the steering mechanism in place.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey311 View Post
    Same thing happens with a ladder truck at the end of the movie Con-Air. The ladder starts the raise as its tearing through the streets of Vegas and the bad guy at the end of the stick goes through the side of a bridge. Seems to me like some one went to fantasy land or smoked one to many doobies while writing the script.

As to Backdraft.... Its a freaking movie. It was entertaining but no where near realistic. But thats what movies are supposed to be. They are supposed to broaden your imagination.

I liked Ladder 49 better. Everyone says I kinda look like Jouquin Phenix. I don't see the resemblance.
    1.Didn't a similar scene happen in "Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines"?No,wait,that was a crane Kristen Lokken was "driving"down the street with the outriggers extended and knocking cars and trucks ever'whichaway.Jeez,you'd think the mechanic and driver characters in movies would check out that hydraulic system before the killer robot or Double naught spy came along to take their trucks.

2.Yes,"Backdraft","Ladder 49","Firehouse"and even "Emergency"(boy am I gonna get in trouble for that one)are just entertainment.Don't go drawing ideas on what to do from whatever Scott Glenn,Russel Crowe,Jouquinn Phoenix and John Revolting did in their movie.Remember,any scene where an actor is going into a burning chemical plant sans SCBA or even a hose is NOT something that you should emulate.

3.I don't see it either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The steer axle of the trailer is just like that of the steer axle of the tractor, although with more weight on it. They can, will, and have turned by themselves. I can think of numerous occasions in (name of major city in southeastern Pa.) where the driver has taken off without the tillerman in place, turned out of quarters, and the trailer kept going in it's own direction. One company's piece wiped out a pole and several firefighter's personal cars across the street from the firehouse and totalled the trailer.

And yes, most manufacturers have a "pin" feature, you have to get on a creeper under the truck and "pin" the steering mechanism in place.
    Thanks FWD, that was very helpful. It's reassuring to know my assumptions were more or less on target, and it's always a good day when I learn something I didn't know before.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    2.Yes,"Backdraft","Ladder 49","Firehouse"and even "Emergency"(boy am I gonna get in trouble for that one)are just entertainment.Don't go drawing ideas on what to do from whatever Scott Glenn,Russel Crowe,Jouquinn Phoenix and John Revolting did in their movie.Remember,any scene where an actor is going into a burning chemical plant sans SCBA or even a hose is NOT something that you should emulate.

Based on other threads, maybe Hollyweird does their technical research on Youtube......

Thread Information