Thread: Sav-a-jake

Forum Member

Question Sav-a-jake

I recently bought a peice of equipment called sav-a-jake and it has many uses none of which I have got to try out but I guess I was just wondering if anyone here has an opinion on this peice of equipment that they would like to share

Stay Saff
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

One question, is it true that the Sav A Jake can carry an irons set?
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Forum Member

Please tell me that the Sav-A-Jake was a gift. I would definatly not spend $45 on that thing.

I always have carried a piece of webbing tied into a loop with a biner at the end, in a daisy chain, in my gear. If I need to bring out Joe Schmo Civilian, I pass the webbing underneath his body and arms, put the biner end through the other end of the loop, tighten up, and pull him out.

If I need to bring out a FF, I can do the same thing but loop the webbing around the top of the shoulder straps, where the straps meet the frame, or if the pack has it, hook the biner into the hole in the frame made for this purpose.

I'll try to take a picture of it today.

I didn't pay a dime for it because we do alot of rappelling anyways, but you could get the webbing and a biner for around $15 bucks if you were to go out and buy it.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Not only tell me this was a gift... But tell me why as an Explorer, you'd need this intricate of a device???

Stick with what RFRD said... No need to waste money on a Save-a-Jake. Training with it is good... But is by far, a waste of money for a Jr./Explorer, IMHO.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

One question, is it true that the Sav A Jake can carry an irons set?

You can use the save a jake to carry irons
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Not only tell me this was a gift... But tell me why as an Explorer, you'd need this intricate of a device???

Stick with what RFRD said... No need to waste money on a Save-a-Jake. Training with it is good... But is by far, a waste of money for a Jr./Explorer, IMHO.
    It was a gift but it is getting to be that time where I am trying to prepare for the academy and I find it is a helpful training tool.

However I am not sure if when I do go to the acadamy if during the search and rescue phase the instructors will allow us to use personal rescue devices such as this but if anyone knows that would be helpful
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Good to hear it was a gift. I don't know why anyone would waste 45 dollars on something that you can make yourself and it would be just as effective. You only pay for the name,but I've seen things like that, turn out to be garbage in the end.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine View Post
    However I am not sure if when I do go to the acadamy if during the search and rescue phase the instructors will allow us to use personal rescue devices such as this but if anyone knows that would be helpful
    I know ours doesn't. We were required to drag 180lb dummy with turnout gear on(no SCBA) without using any webbing or tools, and without standing up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a 10' piece of webbing with a banged up old carabiner that does the same thing. And I paid no where near 45 bucks!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    I have a 10' piece of webbing with a banged up old carabiner that does the same thing. And I paid no where near 45 bucks!
    That's the same thing I was thinking... Although I don't own webbing or a caribiner, I wouldn't spend $45 on a Sav-a-Jake, both as a, FF or explorer.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sav-a-jake????

We have all tried to save him and determined it to be utterly hopeless.....

Thread Information