Forum Member

Default novelty lighter ordinance

I posted this in the prevention with no response. Are any other states pushing for a state wide ban on these imports? They are more prevalent than you think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I posted this in the prevention with no response. Are any other states pushing for a state wide ban on these imports? They are more prevalent than you think.
    Frankly, I have much more important things on my list of proposed ordinances than worrying about novelty lighters.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

How is the term "novelty lighter" defined???

Forum Member

What the hell is a novelty lighter? As far as I'm concerned, a lighter is a lighter. In the hands of an idiot, any lighter can cause an equal amount of pain, injury, and destruction.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

a novelty lighter is defined as.... "Novelty lighters are defined in the ordinance as "a lighter that ... resembles in physical form or function articles commonly recognized as appealing to or intended for use by children 10 years of age or younger. This includes, but is not limited to, lighters that depict or resemble cartoon characters, toys, guns, watches, musical instruments, vehicles, toy animals, food or beverages, or that play musical notes or have flashing lights or other entertaining features.""

source: http://thecabin.net/stories/121107/loc_1211070003.shtml
    so none of these buggers picture source http://cache.consumerist.com/assets/...toylighter.jpg
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Why would any legislative body even waste their time??? Is it a major problem somewhere???

Must be one of those villages Hillary wrote about!!!

Forum Member

Djohnson --- yea your right -- the politicians are working 24/7 passing so many usefull laws that they shouldnt bother. Heaven forbid someone not having access to a lighter that looks like santa.
    And NMfire -- Im not to conserned with the idiots -- its the children.
    And Deputy -- that must be quite a list , if trying to keep lighters that look like toys out of the hands of children, doesnt even make your list.

MembersZone Subscriber

The fact is, the government already HAS passed laws regulating these types of lighters. Contact your local office of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I am not certain of the current regulations, but they will be. They are actually quite strict.

You can also search the document ASTM F40000, which is the standard on lighters that the CPSC references.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Mr. Wendt , so are you talking about a national law restricting the import of them ? That would be good news. I know they have been banned by the European commission.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mr. Wendt , so are you talking about a national law restricting the import of them ? That would be good news. I know they have been banned by the European commission.
    As far as I remember, they do not specifically ban specific lighters. They require lighters to be built in a certain way that makes them childproof. That kind of removes the allure of lighters geared towards children.

But for specific regulations, you are going to have to check with the CPSC. I am not up on this specific regulation.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.......

Sanity Prevails. Thanks George.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Sanity Prevails. Thanks George.
    Yeah. Some people will spend 16 pages arguiing about which blue lights look best on a Chevy Vega, but this topic is too much trouble. Go figure.

Forum Member

From From Fire Chief magazine....

Oregon Seeks to Ban Novelty Lighters
    Mar 16, 2007 10:43 AM

Oregon State Fire Marshal Nancy Orr is leading a nationwide effort in calling for the Consumer Product Safety Commission to prohibit the sale and distribution of novelty lighters, which resemble toy versions of such common items as cell phones and footballs. The sale of novelty lighters has already been banned in Europe.

Orr's office has partnered with The Idea Bank to create a video-based Web page to gather fire incident data. In a video message on the Web site, Orr asks fire professionals, "Do you know of a fire or burn injury involving a child using a novelty lighter? If you do, please complete the incident report form we've provided and email the information to us. Together, we can eliminate novelty lighters and the fire dangers they create."

Orr points out that gathering incident reports is essential, as the CPSC requires nationwide data before considering changes to existing regulations. The Web page also offers PDF forms for incident reports and letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TVFR9923 View Post
    From From Fire Chief magazine....

Oregon Seeks to Ban Novelty Lighters
    Mar 16, 2007 10:43 AM

Oregon State Fire Marshal Nancy Orr is leading a nationwide effort in calling for the Consumer Product Safety Commission to prohibit the sale and distribution of novelty lighters, which resemble toy versions of such common items as cell phones and footballs. The sale of novelty lighters has already been banned in Europe.

Orr's office has partnered with The Idea Bank to create a video-based Web page to gather fire incident data. In a video message on the Web site, Orr asks fire professionals, "Do you know of a fire or burn injury involving a child using a novelty lighter? If you do, please complete the incident report form we've provided and email the information to us. Together, we can eliminate novelty lighters and the fire dangers they create."

Orr points out that gathering incident reports is essential, as the CPSC requires nationwide data before considering changes to existing regulations. The Web page also offers PDF forms for incident reports and letters.
    The Idea Bank is a wealth of information for those of you interested in juvenile fire setting. Here's a link.

http://www.theideabank.com/index.php

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I can't say I've seen any of these novelty lighters and didn't know they were an issue. Also thought all lighters were childproof and have been for a few years...maybe Delaware already has a law???

It'll give me something to look for today. Are there certain stores that sell them???

Somebody must have been sitting on the $hitter when they came up with that idea.

Maybe there should be a law prohibiting stupidity.
    Last edited by davjohnson; 12-27-2007 at 08:15 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh??...........

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    Maybe there should be a law prohibiting stupidity.

Not in our lifetime. That would affect not only our Job Security, but also the Job security of the Stupid, who are elected to make the right laws in the first place, but don't.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

They are sold in convience stores , discount stores, grocery stores etc. Usually near the check out -- many times next to the candy. Impulse type item. Also the CPSC standard for childproof is 85% -- so right from the getgo
    Fifteen out of 100 kids can light them. Then you take a lighter thats looks like a tank and shoots flame out of its barrel ---- and im pretty sure quite a few more of that 85% will spend the time to figure it out. Dont get me wrong , I hate excessive government regulations, but with kids as curious about fire as they already are , why would you want to make a lighter look like a toy?

MembersZone Subscriber

They are sold in convience stores , discount stores, grocery stores etc. Usually near the check out -- many times next to the candy. Impulse type item. Also the CPSC standard for childproof is 85% -- so right from the getgo
    Fifteen out of 100 kids can light them. Then you take a lighter thats looks like a tank and shoots flame out of its barrel ---- and im pretty sure quite a few more of that 85% will spend the time to figure it out. Dont get me wrong , I hate excessive government regulations, but with kids as curious about fire as they already are , why would you want to make a lighter look like a toy?
    The simple answer is they make them because people buy them.

BTW, in my experience, there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fires caused by juveniles with conventional smoking tools than there are with novelty lighters. I still agree with banning them, but I think you would find that the actual number of fires caused by kids with these lighters is very small. The real key is not what the lighter looks like, it is how they operate that leads to a reduction in juvenile fire play.

Forum Member

Mr. Wendt , I agree , these lighters are just a small part of a big problem. I just wonder why anyone would make (or buy) rat poison that looks like a donut.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mr. Wendt , I agree , these lighters are just a small part of a big problem. I just wonder why anyone would make (or buy) rat poison that looks like a donut.
    Free enterprise system. If someone would buy rat poison that looked like a donut, someone would make it. It is very, very simple.

BTW, unless your 12 years old, please don't call me Mr. Wendt.

Forum Member

-------- ok

Forum Member

Oregon is pushing for a ban on these. I believe the push is being spearheaded by the Oregon State Fire Marshals Office in Salem OR.

http://www.theideabank.com/psa/psa_direct.html

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Without having the time to check the links provided, we have "childproof" lighters up here and have for a good 10 years or more. I first remember seeing them (or having the misfortune to be partying outside in 1994 and coming across these "stupid" lighters that you had to "flick a switch" (unlock the lighting mechanism) before it would work. Now they come with a band across the top of the strike wheel to try to make it harder for kids to inadvertently start fires by "dragging" a lighter across the carpet, or making it supposedly impossible for their little fingers to have the strength to get the flint to light. Personally (I don't have children and have no contact with children of the age that would be a concern with this type of product left laying around") I pop the band off with a pair of scissors as soon as I buy a lighter.

Does the US have the same?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I have several of the "novelty" type (santa claus a christmas tree a monkey) that you just push down on a lever and they light (and play music) I had a 5 year old and a 6 year old light them first try with no coaching.
    Go to ebay and look at some, also go to the CPSC page and see how many have been recalled. And remember 99% of these are made in China, I really havent seen any evidence that our health and safety is a high priority over there.

Early Adopter

Arrow Count Arkansas In...

This became a big issue in Arkansas earlier this year when two boys were killed in a fire supposedly started by a novelty lighter. As a result, several cities across the state have either passed bans on novelty lighters or are discussing doing so. As I understand it, the Arkansas Professional Firefighters Association has also come out in support of these bans. I would imagine that a potential statewide ban will garner significant support.

http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/...ws/343511.html
    Last edited by cozmosis; 12-30-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: To add a relevant news link

Thread Information