View Poll Results: Wear a ring(s) on duty?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

82 44.57%
  • no

102 55.43%
    Forum Member

Default Wear your wedding (or any) ring on duty?

Wife asked why I wasnt wearing my wedding ring when I came home this morning. I told her I forgot it in the truck and that I dont wear it on duty. I tried to explain to her that it is not safe to wear rings in alot of situations (extrication, truck maint., hazmat, almost everything we do). And for me add the fact that my ring is titanium and ring cutters arent gonna even come close to cutting it off if necessary.

How many of you do or do not wear rings on your fingers?

I mentioned that I wasnt trying to say I was available to the 80 y/o pt from the nursing home we ran.

Forum Member

Now that I'm working in the office I no longer take my rings off at work as a matter of course but I do if I'm pulling an extra shift on the floor so I voted, "No."

IMHO, rings and the kind of work we do are a bad combination. I've seen some nasty degloving injuries on other people from rings versus equipment/machinery and I'd prefer not to see any on myself...

My wife knows I take my rings off and she knows why -- she's an ER nurse and has seen plenty of ring related injuries, too.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Well.....

If I am worried about my ring getting snagged on something, I will generally put a glove on.

For some reason, it seems more like a clever excuse to get out of wearing it, but thats just me. Besides, its easier to pick up chics with it on!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    If I am worried about my ring getting snagged on something, I will generally put a glove on.

For some reason, it seems more like a clever excuse to get out of wearing it, but thats just me. Besides, its easier to pick up chics with it on!
    yup.................................

Some Guy

I don't even wear it at home.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

kyle, you are a good brave man! Rings are for women anyway!

Forum Member

Get it snagged once and deglove your finger or worse(maybe) yet tear it off your hand and you'll wish you would have left it in your locker
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

In 25-1/2+ years of marriage, I can count on one hand how many times my wedding band has been off my finger...Five, to be exact.
    Two of those times was to have it repaired, once was because I snagged it while swinging down from a roof truss on a house I was building and it cut into my finger, another time was because of a broken ring finger (also construction related) and once to re-exchange them when we renewed our wedding vows at our 10th anniversary Mass.

I have had a few accidents that resulted in a finger injury over the years. All of them were while doing construction related work, never while performing firefighting activities.

If you're afraid if an injury because of your ring, then by all means take it off...Or, just wear your gloves like you're supposed to!
    I will say this, however, you are much more likely to be injured by wearing a wristwatch than you ever will be by wearing a wedding ring.

By the way, I remove my watch only slightly more often than I do my wedding ring.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

My ring has not been off my hand since the day I said "I do". As Memphis said, if you are wearing your gloves like you are supposed to, it is damn difficult to catch it on anything. I have never even heard of an incident where a FF wearing gloves caught their ring on anything and was degloved.

(Please note: I did not say it hasn't happened. I said I never heard of it).
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Never wore my rings while on duty full-time and always took them off responding to calls with my volunteer department.

Summer of 1986 I responded to a structure fire with my volunteer dept near my cottage. I grabbed a 100 ft roll of 1-1/2 inch hose and threw it out to unroll it. In the process the ring finger on my left hand somehow got caught in the roll.

When I got my hand loose the ring finger was peeking out from behind my baby finger. Fracture dislocation at the metacarpophalangeal joint where the finger joins the hand. Doc said that had I had my wedding ring on I would have lost the finger.

Ironic thing is I took it off pulling up to the call as I always did. My wife gave me one dirty look as I threw it into the ashtray. Told her I would explain later. Needless to say I didn't have to say much. Wouldn't have mattered if I had gloves or not.

I respect the rational for keeping a wedding ring on but I'm afraid that it may cost somebody a finger someday. I know some guys who put it on a neck chain while on duty.

Forum Member

I just don't wear jewelry to begin with. The Army got me wearing a watch anytime I'm awake (good for timing pulses/ respirations now), other than that I never wear necklaces, rarely wear a wedding ring. The few times I have worn it, I bang it off everything, get it stuck in stuff. Just seems easier not to deal with it.

Wife knows I love her. And I ain't good looking enough to pick chicks up anyways...
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Not Me......

By mutual agreement with my wife (who knows the Fire Service extremely well) I don't wear a ring. My VFD also has a rule regarding Facial jewelry which we don't take lightly. Rings, Studs, Ear Rings, etc. must be removed or covered to prevent injury while operating at a Fire.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I've worn my wedding ring only few times in the 14 years I have been married. I just don't like the feel of any jewelry-watches, rings, necklaces, etc. I can't even stand wearing a tie.

Fortunately, my wife is very understanding.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CANFF2706 View Post
    Never wore my rings while on duty full-time and always took them off responding to calls with my volunteer department.

Summer of 1986 I responded to a structure fire with my volunteer dept near my cottage. I grabbed a 100 ft roll of 1-1/2 inch hose and threw it out to unroll it. In the process the ring finger on my left hand somehow got caught in the roll.

When I got my hand loose the ring finger was peeking out from behind my baby finger. Fracture dislocation at the metacarpophalangeal joint where the finger joins the hand. Doc said that had I had my wedding ring on I would have lost the finger.

Ironic thing is I took it off pulling up to the call as I always did. My wife gave me one dirty look as I threw it into the ashtray. Told her I would explain later. Needless to say I didn't have to say much. Wouldn't have mattered if I had gloves or not.

I respect the rational for keeping a wedding ring on but I'm afraid that it may cost somebody a finger someday. I know some guys who put it on a neck chain while on duty.
    Did you have gloves on?

MembersZone Subscriber

17 years in the fire service, had a ring on more than 12 of those, never a problem. Watches have been a problem many times (ONLY wear those at work) but never had an issue with the ring. I know when to wear gloves and I can adapt to other situations as needed.

Now water skiing, I take it off. I also wear gloves for that even without the ring. See, I can blame it on the ring throwing me off balance when I fall, rather I have it on or off, since I usually wear it. Water hurts with it being incompressible and all.

COME ON SUMMER! (Cold here, eager to get back out on the lake.)
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I dont have one. But with the people i work with its a fifty fifty. some wear it, some dont. personally i wouldnt wear a ring if i had one. I am petrified of the ring avulsion pictures you see.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Let's talk fire trucks!

When I was married (for 7 years), I wore my wedding ring about 10 times (and no, this didn't contribute to my divorce ). I told my wife before we married I didn't want the damn thing, but we compromised and I got a cheap one to wear to weddings and funerals and whatnot.

Anyway, I would NOT wear it at work, and when I get re-married, I won't wear it at work then either. I've witnessed a de-gloving injury at work, and that was enough for me. In this case, the member exited the cab, and used a manufacturer-installed handrail that had two exposed bolts on it. The ring caught one of the bolts, and his body had too much momentum to for him to stop, causing the degloving injury. Ugh! Yes, it could have happened at home just as easily, but why take the risk at work.

And no, George, he didn't have gloves on. He was getting off the rig to get groceries for the tour at the grocery store.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    And no, George, he didn't have gloves on. He was getting off the rig to get groceries for the tour at the grocery store.
    There you go. If he wasn't wasting taxpayers money shopping while he was supposed to be protecting the lives and properties of the citizens who paid his salary, it wouldn't have happened.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I was kidding.

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you get a C**k ring caught at work......oh wait...you mean a ring on your finger!

Boss one day for got to take it off...accidentally smashed it in the door of the cab and we had to use the ring cutter to get it off....he tapped out...couple weeks to let the finger recover...it was pretty swollen and cut up.

I don't wear mine...always learned from a young age when working around machinery or jobs like this....don't wear loose clothing, rings...etc.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

When I was a yun'n, my dad who drives commercal long haul got his ring caught in a conveyer belt. Twisted the ring all to he!!. FORTUNATELY did nothing more than provide him with a slight cut to the knuckles. I learned the lesson well.

However, have had my own lucky experience, similar to my Dad but somewhat less traumatic. And it was not work or fire related. Playing pool of all things; snagged it on the edge of a table pocket. Anyhow, short story is, I do not wear my ring when on the rig, and I dont wear it while aboard ship either. Too many "innocent" things for it to snag on.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not an issue.

I have lost four of them in 15 years of marriage. I stopped replacing them a few years ago.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

For those of you who say that if you are wearing your gloves properly, it shouldnt happen....

What about checking the rig at the start of your tour? You wear your gloves for that?

Ems runs? I have seen someone get a ring snagged through the latex gloves.

Getting on and off the rig before and after runs? We keep our gloves and helmets on the rig, and many other places do to.

More importantly, if I am in the sink (yes Vinnie, I know where the sink is in my house, right next to the couch!) and the damn thing comes off, I wont lose a finger, ill lose a more important appendage!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hell no! This is my excuse for not getting married. Much too dangerous!!!

My girlfreind of 12 years sees this thread and I'm homeless!

MembersZone Subscriber

Fifteen years of marriage. Never made it a point to take the ring off on the job or at any other manual labor jobs I have worked. I used to take it off when working on the car. I can't get it off any more, my knuckles are too knobby. I'll eventually have to get it cut off and resized, I think.

I hear what some of you guys are saying, but like George and 4949 I intend to keep wearing it. Stuff can go wrong on the job and at home and anywhere. If you're really worried about it you would do like some of the other guys said and never wear it. Loose bolts and other oddities can happen anywhere, they are not restricted to incident scenes and fire stations. Taking it off only when on the job is like only wearing your seatbelt on certain roads.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Thread Information