Forum Member

Default What do you know about Kwanzaa?

I was just curious to see how much people knew about kwanzaa. I didn't know much myself, so I looked it up..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Karenga
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Kwaanza isn't significant to me at all...I don't feel the need to know much about it. I don't know anyone who observes the holiday.

Forum Member

East of the Pecos...South of North Carolina

Same here. I think it snuck in under the pc radar.

How many kwanzaa gift cards are there? Where do you buy a tree? Is there a tree? If so........ never mind.

makes good girls go bad

I had Kwanzaa Kookies.

(someone dropped them off at the firehouse for us.)
    They were good.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm still looking for a Festivus card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Nothing like a good old fashioned airing of grievances and demonstrations of feats of strength.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I was just curious to see how much people knew about kwanzaa. I didn't know much myself, so I looked it up..
    Isn't He running for President? I thought I saw his name in the paper...

Forum Member

I have worked adn gone to church with many folks from Africa, several countries in Africa and I have asked them about this Kwanzaa nonsense. They look at me and ask:

"What is Kwanzaa?"

That ladies and gentlemen is your answer. It is a farce.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kwanza

Only thing I know about Kwanza ( only 1 A) is that it is the currency of Angola. I think exchange rate is about 800 to $1 or maybe 8000 to $1. Cannot take out of country of Angola. As far as holiday, PASS

Forum Member

More than likely it is yet another way to separate people from their money in a specific target market.

I mean no one thinks Mother's Day just popped up for no reason, do they?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

East of the Pecos...South of North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    I'm still looking for a Festivus card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Nothing like a good old fashioned airing of grievances and demonstrations of feats of strength.
    "I have a lot of problems with you people" Frank Costanza

Forum Member

A member of my department once stated...

"Kwanzaa is when Santa arrives in a reposessed Coupe de Ville pulled by 6 Bail Bondsmen."

I don't know what it means, but it sounds funny!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    More than likely it is yet another way to separate people from their money in a specific target market.

I mean no one thinks Mother's Day just popped up for no reason, do they?
    Quite true, Good Sir. Quite True.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

It's just another made up holiday...just like Christmas.

MembersZone Subscriber

BINGO!!!

Well, in all reality, Christmas is just something that Christians adopted from the Romans called Sol Invictus... try looking it up.

So when you think of Christmas, you also need to be thinking of the Roman Sun God.

But wait, I thought Christians didnt worship other god or idols?b

How does that work out?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Christians just took "pagan" holidays and made them into Christian holidays. Same as All Souls Day being the day after All Hallows Eve, aka, Halloween.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Cool Kwanzaa...nah...

What do you know about Kwanzaa? Plenty, but i do not consider it important enough to celebrate.

Now Christmas? Yes the Universal church, ( Catholic means "universal".) took over a ancient holiday and made it into something it was not. They made it into a celebration of Christ, our Lord.

While many things in our past have thier roots in ancient bygone days, they have been usurped and changed... changed into something better.

So no there is no reason to think of what Christmas erased, (the pagan festival) you only need to take the time out of your day and celebrate the birth of Jesus... or not if that is your thing.

The Church has the authority to bind and unbind, they can make a holiday or disband one...whether YOU choose to follow thier lead, well, that your choice.

Anyways... I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

MembersZone Subscriber

so then tell me.... where in the bible does it mention that we ought to celebrate the birth of Jesus?

All that I've read is where Jesus says to "Remember the death of me"....

and then tell me what other birthdays are celebrated in the bible?

Sorry for going off topic but I just hate the fact that everyone wants to connect Christmas to one thing yet most of them refuse to look at the facts
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Exclamation cool a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    so then tell me.... where in the bible does it mention that we ought to celebrate the birth of Jesus?
    The same place it mentions the Trinity. It does not, so you beleive the Bible, if it does not mention it, it should not be acknowledged?

Sir, ( i am assuming you are a "sir".) Some folks beleive in Solo scripturum, the thought that the bible is the end all be all of authority in Christianity. Can you find THAT in the bible?

Now with that said, who put together the bible? Answer: The Church.
    Who chose what books went into the bible? Answer: The Church.
    Who has the authority to say we as Christians should celebrate Jesus' birth? According to scripture, the Church. The Church has the power to bind or unbind. If the Church chooses to December 25th as the day they want to celebrate Jesus' birth, why should'nt they? Why cant they?
    The bible does not say to celebrate many old testament holidays but the Jews still did.. and do.
    Does that make them wrong? No.

All that I've read is where Jesus says to "Remember the death of me"....
    And so... so what? He said "Do this in rememberance of me" in speaking of replacing passover with the holy communion. The drinking of wine (his blood) and the eating of bread (his body).
    Now.. where does remember the death of me...come from? I do not remember that passage.
    and then tell me what other birthdays are celebrated in the bible?
    What other birthdays are as important as Jesus'? none....and the Church has the authortity to make it a special day.
    Other birthdays? Well i from memory, i remember the step daughter of was it Herod? She choose as her birthday gift John the Baptists head.

Off the top of my head thats all i can remember...but there might be one more...sorry, thats all i can remember right now.

Sorry for going off topic but I just hate the fact that everyone wants to connect Christmas to one thing yet most of them refuse to look at the facts
    No problem with going off topic, and i am sorry if "everyone" who connects Christmas to Jesus offends you. I am curious what "facts" you think "we" wont look at?

Please....write back.
    Last edited by Raughammer1; 12-29-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raughammer1 View Post
    The Church has the power to bind or unbind.
    Not for everyone. Only for those who choose to believe any such thing.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Thats good enough for me. If you choose to believe otherwise, thats your perogative.

Not all are called by the Father...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Or if you choose to follow the Catholic church. I do not.

I do not celebrate Christmas - since even if you choose to accept the celebration of His birth, there is not a single shred of biblical evidence to substantiate the birth of Christ on December, nor even a mention of the month of His birth. Only a mention of the timing of the year - which can be interpreted into Fall or mid-Spring when the shepherds did not have their flocks in the field.

Same for Easter. Not a correlation to the time of year. Adopted from one of the Pagan holidays celebrating fertility.

And if you want to get deeper, the Catholic church changed the weekly day of worship - the Sabbath - to Sunday between the 1st and 3rd centuries, because this was the day of His resurrection. Not a shred of authority to do so, except for "Papal infallibility."

The "church" can do what it wants. It is the people that determine what it is they will do.

Ergo, I celebrate only 3 holidays a year - Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and the Fourth of July. Couldn't care less what "the church", some guy in a white robe and hat, or the PC crowd tell me to celebrate - hence no freaking Kwanzaa nonsense either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Total agreement Nozz. As SC said - just another way to make a buttload of money. Many stores make about 40% - 60% of their ANNUAL revenue between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Already seeing freaking nonsense for Valentine's day poking around. It is all about the benjamins, and people are stupid enough to fall for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Or if you choose to follow the Catholic church. I do not.

I do not celebrate Christmas - since even if you choose to accept the celebration of His birth, there is not a single shred of biblical evidence to substantiate the birth of Christ on December, nor even a mention of the month of His birth. Only a mention of the timing of the year - which can be interpreted into Fall or mid-Spring when the shepherds did not have their flocks in the field.

Same for Easter. Not a correlation to the time of year. Adopted from one of the Pagan holidays celebrating fertility.

And if you want to get deeper, the Catholic church changed the weekly day of worship - the Sabbath - to Sunday between the 1st and 3rd centuries, because this was the day of His resurrection. Not a shred of authority to do so, except for "Papal infallibility."

The "church" can do what it wants. It is the people that determine what it is they will do.

Ergo, I celebrate only 3 holidays a year - Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and the Fourth of July. Couldn't care less what "the church", some guy in a white robe and hat, or the PC crowd tell me to celebrate - hence no freaking Kwanzaa nonsense either.
    You are 100% within your rights to believe anything, or nothing, as you choose. That's what religious freedom is. I choose to believe the teachings and the Doctrine of the Catholic Church.

So far as December 25th is concerned, what date do you suggest in its place? It matters not the specific date, nor even the specific season. What does matter is that the faithful celebrate the birth (and the death and the resurrection) of Jesus.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Which pagan holiday is that? I thought Easter was calculated on the time of year - the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

Just curious...
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    You are 100% within your rights to believe anything, or nothing, as you choose. That's what religious freedom is. I choose to believe the teachings and the Doctrine of the Catholic Church.

So far as December 25th is concerned, what date do you suggest in its place? It matters not the specific date, nor even the specific season. What does matter is that the faithful celebrate the birth (and the death and the resurrection) of Jesus.
    Jesus is the reason for the season....you got that right.

Yesterday was the holy day: Holy innocents martyrs day. A day to remember all the children murdered by Herod in his search for the baby Jesus.

Is this a "biblical" mandated day? No. But how is it wrong to have a day to remember those many children wrongly killed?
    What does it hurt? Nothing as far as i can tell.

I do celebrate my saviors resurection, his birth, etc. etc... Why not?
    I do partake in communion as He instructed us to continue to do. Why not?

It is kinda funny to see those who are not Catholic, using a book put together by Catholics say what is and what is not Christian.

Keep it up guys, this is better than most of the discussions we have in this forum.

Thread Information