Forum Member

Default Work Out Schedule

I'm trying to make up a work out schedule and I need to know what I should include. Things like: how much I should lift(I weigh about 125), how many sit ups/push ups I should do and how far I should run each day. Thanks for the help.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

I didn't look, but you may be able to find what you need here

Testing and Fitness

Forum Member

Mon- Fri

0530-0745-Swimming
    1500-1800-Swimming

Tues-Thurs
    1800-1930-Lifting

Average yardage per workout (not per day) for swimming is appx. 7000 yards. A bad day might have 12000 yards a practice (grand total of 24000 yards for the day). Everyday, whether I lift or not I am doing somewhere in the vicinty of 300-400 sit ups and 200 pushups.

On lifting days, I alternate between an upper body set and a lower body set. Our workout was designed for our swim team by our swim coach, strength coatch, USC swim coach, ND swim coach, and coach for the Olympic team. Squats, bench press, DB Snatch, curls, triceps, pretty much everything their is to do. If I can remember to grab a workout form the next time I am in there, I will bring it home and type it up. Each lifting workout is accompanied by a 1.5 mile run, 200-300 situps, 100 pushups, 50+ pullups, and numerous other calisthenic exercises.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Mon- Fri

0530-0745-Swimming
    1500-1800-Swimming

Tues-Thurs
    1800-1930-Lifting

Average yardage per workout (not per day) for swimming is appx. 7000 yards. A bad day might have 12000 yards a practice (grand total of 24000 yards for the day). Everyday, whether I lift or not I am doing somewhere in the vicinty of 300-400 sit ups and 200 pushups.

On lifting days, I alternate between an upper body set and a lower body set. Our workout was designed for our swim team by our swim coach, strength coatch, USC swim coach, ND swim coach, and coach for the Olympic team. Squats, bench press, DB Snatch, curls, triceps, pretty much everything their is to do. If I can remember to grab a workout form the next time I am in there, I will bring it home and type it up. Each lifting workout is accompanied by a 1.5 mile run, 200-300 situps, 100 pushups, 50+ pullups, and numerous other calisthenic exercises.
    Thanks RFRDxplorer. I would like to see that form, so please post it when you can or PM it to me. Thans again.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no idea what you current physical shape is so an exact workout can't be given.
    You should do some form of cardio 3 days a week. Attempt to get your heart rate to 50 to 85 % of your max heart rate. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.
    When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate.
    Your workouts should keep your hear rate in the target zone for no less then 20 minutes, work up to thirty minutes. Unless you have specific goals don't go over the 30 minute mark.
    Now on to strength training. You will have to experiment with weight to get what you should be using. Warm up with five to 10 minutes of stretching, then choose a weight or resistance level heavy enough to tire your muscles after about 12 repetitions.
    Start with 3 sets of 10 reps. You can do multiple body parts at a workout or split it up on several workouts.
    To give your muscles time to recover, rest one full day between exercising each specific muscle group. When you can easily do 12 or more repetitions of a certain exercise, increase the weight or resistance. Remember to stop if you feel pain. Although mild muscle soreness is normal, sharp pain and sore or swollen joints are signs that you've overdone it.

Good luck and feel free to ask about anything else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    I have no idea what you current physical shape is so an exact workout can't be given.
    You should do some form of cardio 3 days a week. Attempt to get your heart rate to 50 to 85 % of your max heart rate. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.
    When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate.
    Your workouts should keep your hear rate in the target zone for no less then 20 minutes, work up to thirty minutes. Unless you have specific goals don't go over the 30 minute mark.
    Now on to strength training. You will have to experiment with weight to get what you should be using. Warm up with five to 10 minutes of stretching, then choose a weight or resistance level heavy enough to tire your muscles after about 12 repetitions.
    Start with 3 sets of 10 reps. You can do multiple body parts at a workout or split it up on several workouts.
    To give your muscles time to recover, rest one full day between exercising each specific muscle group. When you can easily do 12 or more repetitions of a certain exercise, increase the weight or resistance. Remember to stop if you feel pain. Although mild muscle soreness is normal, sharp pain and sore or swollen joints are signs that you've overdone it.

Good luck and feel free to ask about anything else.
    Sounds good ADSNWFLD, I'll give it a try. Also my current(and what I have been since I was born) shape is tall and skiny. I have tried to build up some muscle for a few years now but, no matter what I do, I can't buld up my arms. I already have some good leg muscle from playing baseball and soccer for 7-9 years, so I can run/jog/walk a good distance.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

anyone can build muscle or gain strength. last wrestling season i wrestled 125 and i am 6 feet tall. when i was sucking weight i was still able to bench about 170 and squat 300 plus. So if you stick to a good work out schedule you can build the muscle you want

MembersZone Subscriber

Adding muscle has as much to do with diet as it does with your workout. You need enough calories of good food to allow your muscles to grow. Start off with a good amount of protein from clean sources like chicken and white fish, eggs and red meat are OK but can pose some unwanted health effects.
    Most sources recommend eating 1 to 1.5 grams of protien for each pound of body weight per day. Keep your carb sources good like brown rice, vegtables etc. Avoid white bread and other enriched wheat products. Stick with whole grain, higher fiber foods.

During your workouts lift to failure for faster growth, be safe use a spotter or machine.
    Experiment and have fun with it. Start off slow with the diet changes, remember to feed the machine what it needs, if you don't get enough you won't see the gains your looking for.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thread Information