Training Officer

Default Pics of Training Props

I've searched the forums and found only a couple of pictures of actual training props different departments have built. I have some donated materiasl and am looking at putting multiple props in station we are using for storage. I would like to get some pic of props you guys have built, I'm looking mainly for a roof prop for vent work, a crawl maze, a con space prop, a forcible entry prop, and some type of air consumption drill using a few props.
    I have the list from ISFSI and some stuff from a website in IN, but I was hoping you guys may have some actual plans or pics from multiple angles, so I will know what we need and somewhat know how it goes together.
    I do have some donated supplies, but need to know what else I might need to get. Thanks for any help.
    Is that clear as mud?

Forum Member

If you look at our website (www.kvfd.net) you will see the roof vent prop we use. I have toured Virginia Beach's facility and they use a smaller ground based version with a burn barrel under it for smoke. I would like to add something similar to our prop.
    Regarding the air consumption drill, we have done it using pretty basic stuff. We have the fire fighter go through a entanglement prop (let me know if you need a discription), advancing a charged line, accending four stories of stairs, using a rope to pull up a roll of hose and chopping a vent hole with an axe. The key thing is to have them working until their bell goes off and time how longs it takes to sound the bell and how long the bell last.
    Let me know if there is more you need and I'll supply what I can.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Here are a few pics of a Denver Drill prop I built recently...

The dimensions of the prop are 10' long, by 28" wide with a 42" sill height. The same dimensions (the actual area of the incident was 11' long) of the aisleway that FF Mark Langvardt was removed from in the 1992 Denver tragedy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by fireman4949; 01-01-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

...And here's one of me and some of my crew...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent handywork, Lt...

To the OP: We (my FD) have an excellent attic simulator. We have an entanglement simulator that we have to traverse WITHOUT cutting the wire (we can't afford to replace it, also teaches those who don't carry wire cutters with them what they can do and why they should carry them). We built both of these from residential electrical wire, 4"x4" posts for the corner supports, and 2"x6" joists. Elevated both about 18" off the ground and about 48" wide.

We did a RIT training not too long ago with a confined space crawl, ceiling collapse, wall breach, then up into the attic where the FFs had to navigate the entanglement simulaide (it is elevated 18" to double as an attic sim), then into the open space of the attic where they then had to continue following the hose back down THROUGH the ceiling (simulating the FFs falling thru), around a "hose maze," where they either A) run out of air, or B) find the attack team and get the hell out of Dodge. I will be at the station tomorrow, so I can take pics for you. I can also get the exact measurements as well, if you like. Just say the word. Anything to help out a brother or sister.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default roof vent prop

Does anyone have pics of a roof vent prop?
    thanks
    Captain John C. Shearer
    Hialeah Fire Dept.

Forum Member

Default Attic Training Prop

NISMOFIRE:
    I would LOVE to have some pics of that attic prop and some dimensions. I could use this in my station as well as some firefighter survival stuff I do on a regular basis. If you want to, you can e-mail me as well as posting on here for everyone.

Thanks for sharing brother!

Quote Originally Posted by NismoFire View Post
    Excellent handywork, Lt...

To the OP: We (my FD) have an excellent attic simulator. We have an entanglement simulator that we have to traverse WITHOUT cutting the wire (we can't afford to replace it, also teaches those who don't carry wire cutters with them what they can do and why they should carry them). We built both of these from residential electrical wire, 4"x4" posts for the corner supports, and 2"x6" joists. Elevated both about 18" off the ground and about 48" wide.

We did a RIT training not too long ago with a confined space crawl, ceiling collapse, wall breach, then up into the attic where the FFs had to navigate the entanglement simulaide (it is elevated 18" to double as an attic sim), then into the open space of the attic where they then had to continue following the hose back down THROUGH the ceiling (simulating the FFs falling thru), around a "hose maze," where they either A) run out of air, or B) find the attack team and get the hell out of Dodge. I will be at the station tomorrow, so I can take pics for you. I can also get the exact measurements as well, if you like. Just say the word. Anything to help out a brother or sister.
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb From everyone's favorite sister...

Wall breach

Entanglement- Top

Entanglement- Side

Entanglement- End

Attic- Top

Attic- Side

These can be used in any combination. I'm currently working on a design for an obstacle course using these props and some I have come up with in my head....I've run into a lack of building materials, and since it's the middle of winter in Tennessee, there aren't many jobsites to ask for scraps from.

I'll let you know what I come up with. It's still in the design phase.

FH.com will only let me post 6 pics at a time, so I'll add the assembly diagram in another post.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It's all pretty straight forward. I didn't build any of these, but my handywork will be posted as soon as I can get materials.

Proud member IACOJ

Thread Information