Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default turnout gear question

We are ordering new Globe x-treme turnout gear for our entire company however we have a small issue to contend with. We have 4 or 5 guys that strictly drive and pump the engine. They are not able to where a mask any more due to physical restrictions. We can't justify spending the $2k on full structural gear , yet we want them to look like the rest of the company. Have any of you ran into this issue in your dept.? Do any of you have any suggestions ? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default My thoughts...

Is there any possibility that these ff's would ever pick up a hose? I think that if there is even the slightest possibility they should have proper gear. You could opt for the GX-7 for those guys. It is cheaper than the G-Xtreme, but looks similar when worn properly. You could also cut down the liner to less expensive material. Usually the cheaper you go the less thermal and moisture protection and the more uncomfortable, but it saves money. You may also be able to change outer shells. Several outer layers have similar colors, that may be close enough that they won't stand out on scene. There are also ways to save on boots, helmets, hoods, gloves, etc. If they will never see a hose or interior, they don't necessarily need the same protection as the others. Just a thought.

I dont even wanna tell you how many sets of gear my cheif has and he hasnt gone into a fire in probably 6 year let alone pick up a hose. Thats alot of money. And thats not the worst of it.

They are members of your dept and they need to be protected just the same as everyone else.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

I agree with the Monkey about everybody needing protection, but as long as those members have decent gear, to provide good protection for the tasks they perform, I'd say get the different stuff! If, due to physical issues, they never wear BA, then why would they need the super protection of the extreme stuff? Just an opinion, and I know there'll be plenty of people who disagree, but I don't mind that.

Anyway. Have you discussed this with the distributor you're getting the gear from? If you say straight out that you' won't be buying the expensive gear for these members, I'd be very surprised if they didn't come up with a cheaper form that looks the same.

Forum Member

I wouldn't be that concerned with everyone looking the same. What does it matter? They need to be provided with safe gear that meets the standard (NFPA), I would not ever replace anyones gear for cosmetic reasons. If it fails an inspection okay, but spend the money on something you need if it passes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most gear makers offer a similar gear for extrication and/or USAR and it looks like the standard gear at slightly less money (not a lot less). While I like the uniform look also, our state requires that the IC be able to immediately identify non-structural firefighters from those that go in. Their thought (not as flawed as usual) is that the IC should not be given a false sense of fireground staffing when he sees and believes he has a bunch more interior guys. I'm not sure how most of the vollie FD's are meeting this, but it seems as easy as a helmet or striping color change.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. You guys gave me some good ideas that I will forward to my Chief. I want to clarify 2 things :

1. There is 0% chance of these 4 or 5 members ever performing a task
    other than driving and pumping.

2. We currently have yellow Cairns turnout gear. We are buying
    Globe X-treme. Black and tan are the only 2 color options. We are going
    with the tan. We don't want these 4 or 5 members to look drastically
    different from the rest of the company.

If anyone else has a suggestion please reply. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    ...requires that the IC be able to immediately identify non-structural firefighters from those that go in. Their thought (not as flawed as usual) is that the IC should not be given a false sense of fireground staffing when he sees and believes he has a bunch more interior guys. I'm not sure how most of the vollie FD's are meeting this, but it seems as easy as a helmet or striping color change.
    Good point. Who's allowed in and who isn't and how do you tell, quickly. We cover it with two letters on either side of the helmet. No letters, no internal work. Only an issue for us Vols, career are all internal.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think these are all good points. May I suggest outfitting these "driver-only" personnel with different color helmets so that they are rapidly identified on the fireground...just a thought.

Around here, most engine drivers where navy blue pants and a T.

And, I have never understood the rainbow of colors with the helmets. We all wear black or white and have never had a problem. When the white hats are outside doing their job and the black hats are inside doing theirs, neither can see the other one's helmet anyway!!
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-08-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

If this was a department that I was associated with I would be thinking down the road. You say these firefighters have some physical reasons that would prevent them from ever going into a structure fire. What happens in 2 years if one or more of these guys decides to leave the department. Then you have a lesser quality set of gear that will be issued to a new guy that will be going in. I would go ahead and spend the money and get them the same gear everyone else is wearing. I could save you in the future.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by THEENGINEGOES View Post
    Thanks for the replies. You guys gave me some good ideas that I will forward to my Chief. I want to clarify 2 things :

1. There is 0% chance of these 4 or 5 members ever performing a task
    other than driving and pumping.

2. We currently have yellow Cairns turnout gear. We are buying
    Globe X-treme. Black and tan are the only 2 color options. We are going
    with the tan. We don't want these 4 or 5 members to look drastically
    different from the rest of the company.

If anyone else has a suggestion please reply. Thanks.
    What came to my mind is what your drivers roles are on calls such as vehicle accidents, extrications, or other rescue situations (say SAR after a tornado or something). Basically, is there any situation where they will need bunker gear for protection? If not, a possibly alernative would be buying them EMS "gear." I don't know if they make colors that match, but it's possible since they use a lot of the same material.

My opinion is practicallity(sp) over looks. Yes in a perfect world everyone would match, but I would not want to take money away from the general fund so we could look good. Instead, spend the money to get something like a thermal imaging camera.
    FF/Paramedic

That justification I would use for purchasing a full set of gear for this engineers has to do with a standard routine that I have seen here. After a while, for whatever reason, gear can be re-issued to new or special circumstances members.

That being said, even though the original wearers may never use it for it's intended structural firefighting purpose, at least you have the ability to issue that gear to someone who could use it a bit down the road.

Plus, there may be circumstances that even though they may never pick up a line, they may need that protection, who knows?

There is a lot of variables that change from a departments makeup, history, etc, that play into this issue of yours.

Best of luck.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    My opinion is practicallity(sp) over looks. Yes in a perfect world everyone would match, but I would not want to take money away from the general fund so we could look good. Instead, spend the money to get something like a thermal imaging camera.

After I posted my reply I forgot to mention what you just said. So.. what he said! Heh.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

I would just buy a USAR/Extrication style gear for these guys, That way they will have protection at an MVA or USAR incident, while still maintaining the look of just regular structural stuff. And I'm sure they will appreciate the lighter weight
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    I would just buy a USAR/Extrication style gear for these guys, That way they will have protection at an MVA or USAR incident, while still maintaining the look of just regular structural stuff. And I'm sure they will appreciate the lighter weight
    We had a meeting the other night and that's what we decided to do. It makes the most sense for us. The extrication gear is far less expensive and they make a color that will match our new turnout gear.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

Be safe.

Thread Information