Default QUESTION: when cutting during roof ventilation...

when making cuts on a roof should be below or above your cut?

Forum Member

You always want to work back towards your point of egress. Start at the top and work towards your ladder. Also remember to have the wind at your back when making a cut.

Forum Member

Be below your cut. Or to the side. From a roof ladder do the cut farthest away from you. then the top and bottom cuts. Then the cut closest to you.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

We usually cut from above, working below/in front of us. We start from the furthest point we want to cut, then work back toward the ladder, which is behind us. If we use a roof ladder (not that often), we do it like the other folks have said, working from below the cut.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

I am honestly going to quit answering questions when it is someone's first post. This thread like so many others has the first post of someone asking a question from over a week ago and as far as we all can tell, he hasn't been back.

I guess we either won or lost the guy a coca cola. Maybe its just me, but its getting kinda old - especially something as easy as this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I am honestly going to quit answering questions when it is someone's first post. This thread like so many others has the first post of someone asking a question from over a week ago and as far as we all can tell, he hasn't been back.

I guess we either won or lost the guy a coca cola. Maybe its just me, but its getting kinda old - especially something as easy as this.
    I don't really need to reply to your comment, but I am anyway.

Just because I haven't made any other posts, doesn't mean anything. I'm not some paid on call or volunteer working some minimum wage job on the side waiting for a call.

I happen to be a full time police officer/career firefighter with a Department of Public Safety working 12 hour shifts. So I don't want to hear about how many posts I make. Save it.

Forum Member

Yeah like most everyone above be stated, I start with the top cut, then the outer cut then the inner cut and then the bottom cut. That way I am always near the ladder and can get off the roof easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dps251 View Post
    I don't really need to reply to your comment, but I am anyway.

Just because I haven't made any other posts, doesn't mean anything. I'm not some paid on call or volunteer working some minimum wage job on the side waiting for a call.

I happen to be a full time police officer/career firefighter with a Department of Public Safety working 12 hour shifts. So I don't want to hear about how many posts I make. Save it.
    I call bullsh*t. And hey... what's wrong with being a volunteer? You're just jealous cause you can't play xbox at the station. I risk my life just like you do. And for less than minimum wage. Zero, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by PATCHE5 View Post
    I call bullsh*t. And hey... what's wrong with being a volunteer? You're just jealous cause you can't play xbox at the station. I risk my life just like you do. And for less than minimum wage. Zero, actually.
    that made no sense

Thread Information