Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What are your thoughts?

1. What do you think of sprayed on liner materials used in pickup beds (and such) being sprayed over aluminum tread plate or in place of it for all the walking surfaces on fire apparatus? And in place of paint on steel bumpers? Also does anyone know of any fire apparatus having this done to there walking surfaces?

2. What do you think of using the ploy type of bodies for aerial device bodies?

Forum Member

I have used it in refurbs inside compartments with good results. Never have used it on treadplate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWER412 View Post
    1. What do you think of sprayed on liner materials used in pickup beds (and such) being sprayed over aluminum tread plate or in place of it for all the walking surfaces on fire apparatus? And in place of paint on steel bumpers? Also does anyone know of any fire apparatus having this done to there walking surfaces?

2. What do you think of using the ploy type of bodies for aerial device bodies?
    I would look at the "grip" the liner material provides for the stepping surface. If there isn't grit of some sort in the mix, I don't think it would be NFPA compliant. Obviously, this won't matter if you aren't having it installed on a new rig or something a third party is refurbing.

I'll refrain from commenting on poly bodies.
    Last edited by npfd801; 12-29-2007 at 12:45 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

The spray on urethane lining materials while being incredibly tough & abrasion resistant are also slippery to walk on. We use it for coating dump bodies to keep materials from sticking or freezing in the beds. makes the load slide right out of the body.
    As npfd801 said I don't believe it would be nfpa compliant for non skid surface.

As a coating in hose beds or compartments it works very well. it would be excellent on painted bumpers. no more pitting from bugs. You would have to properly prep the metal before application.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 12-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We used it inside all the compartments and slide-out trays on our new rescue and it looks and works great. I tend to agree with npfd801, however, that it would not be NFPA compliant.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

That stuff is tough but I think if you spray it on diamond plate it would wear off on the high points because of the small surface area. Then you would be right back where you started except it would look worse.

Crown Fire Apparatus used to put a (I think this is what it was) shredded rubber like from tires inplace of diamond plate there running board surfaces. It didn't look bad and had all kinds of traction.

Maybe a left coaster can shed some light on that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with Joel and the Cajun about the non-compliance of the spray-on, as a matter of fact it probably doesn't even come close. As for Poly we don't use it much in the US, we have a Poly Aerial in Carrabassett Valley, ME that turned out to be a really nice truck. In Europe we have been cranking out Poly bodies and tanks for years. Many of the crew cab chassis are two door cabs with the crew compartment molded as part of the body. Seems to work real nice.

Forum Member

we use bedliner with sand mixed in on walkways on our brushtrucks. So far it works great, even better than the rolls of 3m stuff.

Forum Member

I agree that it would make treadplate slippery. However, I think it is a great idea on compartment interiors. We used it on our grass trucks Reading body on it is holding up great.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post

I'll refrain from commenting on poly bodies.
    they're not that BAD!!! LOL
    I saw the aftermath of using the wrong length screws for tool brackets on the boards... hehe!
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

We have a tanker with a poly body and its been around for quite some time with no problems.But than again we are a small rural town and who knows how well it would fair in a city setting where it gets used a lot more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Have a pumper being built now with spartan cab, and poly body.

For the people using e-one aerials(not bronto's) what is the coating on the turntable made out off is it a sprayed on product and does anyone have pics of there turntable with this material on it and can it be applied to other areas of the trucks.

Thread Information