Forum Member

Default Firefighter/Cadet Position-Texas

The Longview Fire Department in Longview TX is now accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Cadet.

This is a starting position and applicants that are hired [U]WILL BE REQUIRED[U] to complete Fire academy and the Paramedic program.

The Longview Fire Department is a progressive Fire/EMS based department located in the heart of East Texas. We are located 160 miles East of Dallas, and 60 miles West of Shreveport.

We currently operate out of 8 stations, working a 24/48 hour schedule. Staffing is 50 per shift.

Minimum Requirements: High School diploma or GED, 19 y/o, and posses or have the ability to obtain a valid Texas D.L.

Starting Salary: 30,077.84

For information visit www.longviewfire.com.

I just looked and the link for online applications is not up yet, maybe later today or first thing in the morning. As a 19 year member of this department I can answer any questions anyone that may be interested may have. Just drop me a PM or something.
    Last edited by Station2Capt; 01-06-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

youngone08
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm wondering how many people they are looking to hire in 08. I'm 19 and have a level one card and EMT-B. Would it be worth the drive down there, i'm coming from ohio.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by youngone08 View Post
    I'm wondering how many people they are looking to hire in 08. I'm 19 and have a level one card and EMT-B. Would it be worth the drive down there, i'm coming from ohio.
    Sorry I did not post a reply sooner but I just now saw your post.

Right now I know that we are 4 people short due to recent retirements. We have at least 20 that could go within the next 18 months. Now for the difficult and complicated answer to your question. I feel at first right now we will hire 4-5 Cadets to send to the Fire Academy and Paramedic School. This is the first time we have ever taken applications for a "Cadet program" where you can apply with no certifications at all. We are doing this to increase the number of applicants. In the past few years we have noticed the number of applicant drop to where we are only getting a few more applicants as the number of openings we have. Our Chief wanted to open the process to any applicant to increase the number of candidates. This has been a major push budget wise for several years. Now we are still accepting applications from people with Fire and EMS certs of course but we know that in the next 18 months (the time it will take to get Fire and Paramedic) we will have several more retirements. These Cadets will take those openings when they complete all the required training. The Chief made the comment in a meeting last week that he may hire another group from this list around September if everything looks like it is going OK and the budget allows him to do so. I could not give you a number for that group this far out, like I said we have around 20 that could retire right now or in the very near future.

As far as your drive from Ohio I can only say that is up to you. That is a really long way to travel so you will have to make that decision. You need to know that if you do you may have to make the trip 4 or 5 times depending on how far in the process you make it.

If you have any more question drop me a PM I will see that faster than looking here for a reply post.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

no offense but if u want to increase your applicants, u need to increase your pay. I looked at both Tyler and Longview but I just couldnt do it. But, then again, your in East Texas, where the cost of living "Used" to be cheaper but like everything else, its going up also
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Thread Information