Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Oustside for juniors

I am a junior firefighter at my station. I just joined and i would like to know what I can do to help and how to do the stuff. I would also like to watch trainign vidoes and any other info that will be uses. If you got any website or links I can look at plzz tell me.
    Thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fryguy822005 View Post
    I am a junior firefighter at my station. I just joined and i would like to know what I can do to help and how to do the stuff. I would also like to watch trainign vidoes and any other info that will be uses. If you got any website or links I can look at plzz tell me.
    Thank you
    Basically youll learn alot of stuff around your station from other people and at training or drills as far as videos and links to other websites for training go i really wouldnt be able to help you there. Just pay attention and have fun with it youll learn as you go or your department may put you into training courses im not sure.
    Hope this helped
    Andrew

Learn the rigs better than you know your own hand. When someone needs a tool offer to go get it. Watch youtube videos to see what goes on at a structure fire. Make sure to watch good departments; FDNY,LAFD, Houston FD. Listen to the senior firefighters and never get an I KNOW THAT attitude. A juniors job is to watch and learn. Good Luck.

Gone.

Any free time you have to spend in the fire house should be spent on gaining knowledge of the equipment and gear placed before you. Go over your apparatus and learn where everything is kept. If you have hose on a storage rack, go over the hose and learn the sizes, and practice coupling male and female ends together, putting on nozzles and knowing how to use them and how to change from stream to fog, rolling hose, etc. If you have a deck gun, get to know how to use it as well. Take time to go over your PPE. Practice putting it on and get a routine where you can put it on in a timely fashion in order to minimize time spent donning bunkers/turnouts. Learn proper storage of your gear, because lost gear is a no-no. Also laundering your gear is a task that some must undertake, so learn the proper way to do that so you don't ruin the gear. It's expensive and it's what keeps you safe. Familiarize yourself with SCBA equipment and get an idea of donning it and it's use, and get a crash course on how to use it properly so you aren't left totally in the dark. Learn how to use rescue and firefighting tools such as Halligan bars, pike poles, axes, sledges, gas-powered saws, etc. Also make sure you know how to assemble and use the Jaws, Ram, Sawzall, etc. Knowing how to use those properly cuts seconds off the time it takes to utilize them and save someone's life. Make sure you know the proper way to use the ladders. Learn how to tie knots used in rescue and firefighting operations and practice them from time to time. Fun, learn how to have fun. There's tons more, but that's just a little overview for you.

Remember, in firefighting, one cannot know everything because the field is always expanding and opening up. It's an ever-learning process and the potential for learning should always be used to it's full extent. The more prepared you are for the situation presented to you means the more prepared you are to handle it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by fryguy822005 View Post
    Thank you
    You can help by doing everything you can to learn the basics. That is all you should be worried about right now. How things run around your station,learning where everything is on the rigs and what the staff will expect of you when you are around. Once you get all that down pat then you can start to move into the other stuff.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Nothing but listening, yes sirs and no ma'ms.

I learned the hard way, your opinion on how you like to do things is not important when you're the one learning. You can have your opinions but sharng them with someone trying to teach you can make you look like a know it all especially while they're teaching you. Questions are also a very good thing, you can't ask too many, it's better to have the guys frustrated with you for asking too many questions than for screwing something up becasue you didn't ask.

Also it's okay to make mistakes from time to time, mistakes are one of the greatest learning tools, just do your best to learn from them and not to make them twice!

BTW here's a great video on forcible entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uor16OYmKs

Hope that helps you out.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Depending on your department policies your range of can-do's will range from attending a weekly training session to exterior fire fighting. We have amended our SOGs to allow juniors to participate in exterior attack (including manning a hose line if they've completed FF1). Our neighboring department doesn't even allow them to ride the apparatus. Also, as long as there is enough room in the squad (and they have CPR/AED) they are allowed to observe EMS calls.

Like I said, mainly all just depends on your departmental policies and procedures. You should be able to get a copy of the SOPs.

Cool

Ask questions and never be afraid of volunteering to help clean the equipment or carry it. This is how it was when I was a junior member, I had a great mentor who was never afraid to answer my questions. We have had junior members on our department that you had to basically give orders to do things, because all they wanted to do was stand there, and be able to tell their friends that they were on the department. Good Luck and sometimes don't be afraid to get a little dirty.
    Last edited by VolFFJohn; 01-13-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

Smile

Deff. learn the rigs. The better you know the tools on the rigs the less nervous you'll be at a call. DON'T ever not know where anything is, Some companies like to move there tools around in there rigs, I don't know if yours is like that but always keep up on it. Don't let your chief catch you standing around like at training or a matience night, he might get a little mad. lol But other than that have fun!!

Thank you everybody for your advice. It will be a big help for me during training. Again, thank you

Thread Information