Thread: Where to begin?

Post Where to begin?

Hi, my name is Jasmine and I wanted to be a FireFighter since I was 14 and now I'm 17 going on 18 and I know you have to have be patient in getting job being a Firefighter and I'm willing to do that so now I want to get started for a career in Firefighting and I have a couple of questions..my location is Orange County, California

1.I havent done the explorers program will it affect me?Althought I have done 1 year of R.O.P for "Fire Science" and I loved it so I know this career is for me.but I want to know what you guys think.

2.I wondering is it a good idea to go to 2 year college like Santa Ana college for "Fire Technology" some people yes its good and people say no, but I dont know where else to start I'm a fast learner and I wish to learn more by going to this school to get knowledge/ and hands on experience under my belt,but again what do you guys think.

3.I have read people say they have to get a Emt certificate and other certificates like FF-I and FF-II how do I earn those certificates do I go to college I know it kind of sounds like a stupid queston but I'm not stupid I just want to know where to get started and get on the right track .

please help Jasmine

Forum Member

Hi Jasmine, I'm surprised no one has responded to your inquiry yet. The explorers program would give you an opportunity to "explore" the fire service and learn the various aspects involved in both firefighting and leadership. Definitely a good program to get into, if you're interested.

I would personally get a degree in Fire Science (or technology if that's what they call it). Having that will certainly make you more attractive to prospective employers.

If you want to work for a big city fire department you should have FF II and your Paramedic certification. You can obtain all of these (with the exception of your paramedic certificate) though public service training.

Best of luck to you!

Forum Member

Another thing to think about it where you want to work. Are you open to the possibility of moving around the country to find a job? Or, are you set on working where you live right now?

Look at the places you think you'd like to work, and call their HR department's, or talk to the firefighters in your area, and let them know you are interested, and trying to find out what it takes to become a firefighter there. It's going to vary place to place. If you are set on California, find one of the cali guys around the site, there are a few.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar2390 View Post
    Hi, my name is Jasmine and I wanted to be a FireFighter since I was 14 and now I'm 17 going on 18 and I know you have to have be patient in getting job being a Firefighter and I'm willing to do that so now I want to get started for a career in Firefighting and I have a couple of questions..my location is Orange County, California

1.I havent done the explorers program will it affect me?Althought I have done 1 year of R.O.P for "Fire Science" and I loved it so I know this career is for me.but I want to know what you guys think.

2.I wondering is it a good idea to go to 2 year college like Santa Ana college for "Fire Technology" some people yes its good and people say no, but I dont know where else to start I'm a fast learner and I wish to learn more by going to this school to get knowledge/ and hands on experience under my belt,but again what do you guys think.

3.I have read people say they have to get a Emt certificate and other certificates like FF-I and FF-II how do I earn those certificates do I go to college I know it kind of sounds like a stupid queston but I'm not stupid I just want to know where to get started and get on the right track .

please help Jasmine

Being an explorer or not shouldnt really effect your chances.

Taking classes towards a fire reltated service can do nothing but help you.

Go to your local college or community college and take your emt there. To take FF I/II get sponsered by a fire dept. They will pay for the class and issue you your gear.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Smile Thanks you guys

thanks for you info I'm going to go to college for 2 years for my fire science degree and get my certificates also to answer you questions Jerry4184 I am willing to go other places I currently live in anaheim,ca so I''ll probably go to L.A county but im open to any where in Southern California, I would consider going else where in the county but it depends on my status or situation after I'm done with college and get my certificates

Thread Information