Forum Member

Question Helmet Question - Traditional Vs. Salad Bowl

I am looking for information.....

While at my paid job, I wear a leather helmet, my volunteer department insists on us wearing salad bowls.

I have managed to talk a group of the guys to at least switch to the fake leathers (probably the Morning Pride Ben 2).

What I am looking for is any reasons why a traditional style composite helmet would be better than a salad bowl style composite helmet ?

(other than they look better......I tried this reason and did not get far !)

Thanks for the help !

Boog

Forum Member

A helmet band may be used on a traditional lid for holding such things as a flashlight, sprinkler wedges, door chocks, etc.
    A band will not work (not very well, anyway) on a salad bowl.

Other than that, I don't know of any other argument, unless you want to use tradition and pride as leverage.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Permanently Removed

Me- I have found that function is the best option. Whats works the best over just looking a certain way.

The citizens never really cared what I wore anyways. I suggest buy and wear what is comfortable for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-01-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    The citizens never really cared what I wore anyways.
    That's painfully obvious to all.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    That's painfully obvious to all.
    They just want their problems handled. Besides, the chicks dig me regardless of what helmet I wear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    A helmet band may be used on a traditional lid for holding such things as a flashlight, sprinkler wedges, door chocks, etc.
    This statement has no basis in fact. A vast majority of the departments around here wear "tactical tupperware", and most of us wear bands with chocks/wedges, nails/golf tees on our "salad bowls", and have no problem doing so.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post

This statement has no basis in fact. A vast majority of the departments around here wear "tactical tupperware", and most of us wear bands with chocks/wedges, nails/golf tees on our "salad bowls", and have no problem doing so."

I think the helmet bands can work with the Phenix "salad bowls" because of the shape. If you are talking about a Cairns Metro or similar shaped helmet, a helmet band won't work.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    I think the helmet bands can work with the Phenix "salad bowls" because of the shape. If you are talking about a Cairns Metro or similar shaped helmet, a helmet band won't work.
    Before we went to the Phenix TL-2, I had a 660C which had a band and chocks.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Default Traditional bettter...

The helmet band is good....

How about the safety factor with scalding water?! The back of a traditional helmet sticks out further past your back and less water would drip down your neck?

Just an idea...
    Everyone Goes Home --- Prevent LODDs
    Visit www.everyonegoeshome.com

• Wear Your Seatbelt! --- Every Time, Every Call, No Matter What!
    • Pay Attention to the PASS --- Every time you hear a PASS, realize this time it might be the real deal!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rtrudeau View Post
    The helmet band is good....

How about the safety factor with scalding water?! The back of a traditional helmet sticks out further past your back and less water would drip down your neck?

Just an idea...
    Did an attic fire last night...didn't have any such problem. I also keep my turnout collar flipped up all the time, though, specially in back. That might've had something to do with it.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Permanently Removed

Me- I dont use helmet bands. Those "pocket" things work wonders.

More junk on your head means more stuff melt. And yes, more weight.

Forum Member

if my wooden door chock melts, the I have got more problems than I'm wearing the wrong type of helmet.... just wanted to say....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never seen documentation or anything to reinforce it, but I've "heard" that the ridges on a traditional helmet provide more strength than the standard mold of the turtle shells. May be BS, may be some truth, I really don't know. Anyone know?

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by rtrudeau View Post

Just an idea...

I know that this will be starting a fecal hurricane, but why do the helmets of our European brothers and sisters have no 'tail fin' at all? Could it be that advances in fire gear has made the 'tail fin' unnecessary?

Let 'er eat...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

I dont know what kind of helmets you guys have, as in the salad bowl, but on my departent, the juniors have to wear them (with the exception of the guys who bought their own i.e. leather) and they are uncomfortble and sit way to high on my head and I believe they are either an older cairns or bullard model I believe its bullard because the trad. we have are bullard. They are light in terms of a helmet but they make traditionals that are somewhat light. Just don't go with the Bullard traditionals, way too heavy.

my 2 cents.

Back In Black

Whatever they give me.

I've worn the rounded lids and the traditional lids (although not leather).

The bowl shaped helmets were lighter and less bulky, but that's it.

I've found no other difference, none. I've never had water drip down my neck with either, and never felt that one was more protective than the other.

I think that those in favor of one over another is because of the asthetics or traditions of their background.

The only thing I really don't like is when you have a mixed bag in the same company. I like that I can look at a group and pick out "my" guys.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Gone.

Could be the cost as well. I notice you can pick up the Modern Helmets cheaper than you can Traditional Helmets. Departments around where I live are tight budgeted, and even mine is but we still use Cairns 1010's, some older 880's, and a grand total of 3 Leathers.

Forum Member

The band is just to hold the flashlight (primarily while it is ON). Other storage takes place in the pockets. When I had a metro, I had one of the clips that held a flashlight without the inner tube.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    if my wooden door chock melts, the I have got more problems than I'm wearing the wrong type of helmet.... just wanted to say....
    Last time I checked, wood can burn. So you might have the wrong type of helmet.

Forum Member

Exclamation Get the facts first.

Quote Originally Posted by JayFireEater View Post
    Just don't go with the Bullard traditionals, way too heavy.

my 2 cents.
    Scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.bullard.com/Fire_Rescue/h...ction_12.shtml

IMO if your going to go with a modern looking helmet than get the best one made. The Phenix 1500 First Due weighing in at 32 ounces. Bullard modern helmets are at least 50 ounces, and the Cairns 360 modern is 44 ounces.

Most make the statement they like the modern helmets because they are lighter yet they do not wear the lightest modern helmet made? Doesn't make sense.

Default Getting back to the original question

Go to youtube.com search "firefighter training mishap" granted, these idiots should not have gone into that shed. That being said it illustrated what happens in a hot fire with a modern helmet. Pay attention to the helmet melting in flaming drops of multin plastic as the chief pulls the idiot probies out. Enjoy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.bullard.com/Fire_Rescue/h...ction_12.shtml

IMO if your going to go with a modern looking helmet than get the best one made. The Phenix 1500 First Due weighing in at 32 ounces. Bullard modern helmets are at least 50 ounces, and the Cairns 360 modern is 44 ounces.

Most make the statement they like the modern helmets because they are lighter yet they do not wear the lightest modern helmet made? Doesn't make sense.
    ok I guess they are 'better'

I was just saying because I expected my leather to be heavier but it wasn't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Me- I dont use helmet bands. Those "pocket" things work wonders.

Since when do you wear your helmet on EMS runs and assuming you did...how would anything melt on it? Do you have lots of runs into old peoples houses where they have the furnace cranked to 89 degrees?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JayFireEater View Post
    ok I guess they are 'better'

I was just saying because I expected my leather to be heavier but it wasn't.
    From your reply it sounds like you missed my point. That link was to show you that the Bullard UST traditional is the same weight as the Cairns 1010 traditional.

I wear a n6a. It is heavier than most helmets. About 1/2 a pound actually. I could care less.

Forum Member

Personally I've never found one salad bowl that was as comfortable as a carins 1010.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Thread Information