Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Who makes skid units for utvs (ranger)

Looking for a skid unit for a utv (ranger 4x4) I have searched the web and found a few but none that I really like the looks of. The skid will need 75 gal water, foam system, pump (honda), hose reel, sked mount also for rescue.

We have just ordered the Ranger and have tracks coming for it also. I have gotten info from RKO, CMI, kimtek, Cascade, Terrator. Kimtek is the one style we like. Is there any others like the kimtek style that we have to chose from? We like the low profile more compact style.

Also, I was told some departments go with pressure washer type hose and nozzle combinations instead of the 1" red hose. I was told they work got and they have low water consumption. Any experience with these?

Any help would be great! BTW I have done a few searchs on here also.

Forum Member

I have seen the rural department near me use the pressure washer type wands on several occassions. They have a couple ATV's setup with 25 gal of water. They use them for scouting mostly. But they have done initial attack and overhaul with them. They only use them for initial attack when they have short flame lengths and they work from the black.

Most of our fires are in dry grass and sage. What works for them may not work in your fuel models.

They felt that the pressure wand gives them better penetration for overhauling without using a lot of water. Working with ATV they didn't have room for a fullsize pump or redline. The fine mist works a lot more like a high velocity fog pattern.

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds like a bit of a heavy load for a 4x4. The skid units I'm familiar with are for 6x6 Polaris and are 65gal water.

+10gal = 90-100lb which is quite significant on a small vehicle

Adding a Cl A foam system may well be a better choice than the additional H2O. As photo.

How did you end up selecting the 4x4 rather than the 6x6 Ranger? All we see being placed in service around NE Iowa are the 6x6.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by neiowa; 01-04-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Forum Member

We wanted the 4x4 because of the terrain and its shorter turning radius. We have alot of trees in the valley and swampy areas so we went with all season tracks for it also. Weight is an issue but we needed the mobility and turning radius as tight as possible. We actually ordered our skid just yesterday. It is from KIMTEK. 75 gal water and around the pump foam added on. Looks to be a very nice unit...I am sure we will like it!

Thanks for your replys!

Forum Member

deleted duplicate
    Last edited by rbecklund; 01-24-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Thread Information