Permanently Removed

Default In search of a pager

Hey Guys im a new Jr firefighter and im in search for a pager, my captin told me to go to the safety officer incharge on pagers and ask him but... he has ran out. so if there is anyone around here that has an old one lying around please please tell me..i'll pay you as much as i can at a time..thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xmikex72 View Post
    Hey Guys im a new Jr firefighter and im in search for a pager, my captin told me to go to the safety officer incharge on pagers and ask him but... he has ran out. so if there is anyone around here that has an old one lying around please please tell me..i'll pay you as much as i can at a time..thank you
    Ebay is the best option good deals there um you need your departments information though such as frequencies,tone frequencies etc to get it programmed properly.

Forum Member

You can go to radio shack and buy the nascar scanner for $100. Then all you do is put in your frequencies and you have a pager. It is very light weight. Make sure to buy rechargeable batteries. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

Ebay or other auction sites is your best bet... It will be very tough to find someone on FH to sell you a pager.
    Above all, you're new... Why do you need one so fast?
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Gone.

I have a Motorola Minitor V, but they are expensive. But, if you are expecting someone to send you a pager, then you pay them so much so often, then I doubt anyone will. Just wait for your company to get some in, that way you can pay them so much at a time for it. As a junior, your last worry should be obtaining a pager, and more focused on learning and gaining knowledge of your chosen volunteer activity.

Forum Member

I agree with the above poster. If you are so new, why are you worried about having a pager. You should be more worried about learning the basics and the way things go. Wait a little while, when they have one, and feel the need to give it to you they will.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

This sounds more like an "I asked for a pager but they said no" type of deal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    This sounds more like an "I asked for a pager but they said no" type of deal.
    Now that you mention... It does.
    Like asking Dad for something and he says no so you go ask Mom...

You're no good on a fire scene if you don't know the basics. If you're new, it's obvious that you don't know the basics. So a pager is not, in any way, a nessesisity... Especially for a junior (almost in general because I understand things are different everywhere). You should not be depended on anyhow... You're new. So they're probably not giving you one for a reason.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

RF, my thoughts exactly.

Mike, do you have any idea how much a pager costs? It's actually more than a radio in some cases.

Forum Member

Expecting someone to extend you credit and let you pay for a pager "as much as I can at a time" is... ludicrous.

A new "junior firefighter" needs a pager as much as a fish needs a motorcycle.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Actually Gonzo, I got out of bed this morning and stepped on Nemo riding his favorite bike......damn near killed my self
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Maybe Yates has a new screen name.

Isn't this how that whole fiasco started in the first place???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post

Perhaps...

I sure as hell hope not though.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post

........Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Perhaps...

I sure as hell hope not though.

Wasn't Yates' counterpart "Mike Hope"???
    If I remember correctly, "Mike Hope" came on here saying he was Yates' cousin and that he was sorry for Yates' behavior then Yates' tried to say that "Mike Hope" had no relation to him and he didn't even know "Mike Hope". Then a fellow FH Poster found Yates' MySpace in which we found "Mike Hope" was like 1st or 2nd on his top friends list and we found the world's most hilarious pictures...
    It's a little foggy, but I do recall some of it.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Wasn't Yates' counterpart "Mike Hope"???
    If I remember correctly, "Mike Hope" came on here saying he was Yates' cousin and that he was sorry for Yates' behavior then Yates' tried to say that "Mike Hope" had no relation to him and he didn't even know "Mike Hope". Then a fellow FH Poster found Yates' MySpace in which we found "Mike Hope" was like 1st or 2nd on his top friends list and we found the world's most hilarious pictures...
    It's a little foggy, but I do recall some of it.
    I'm not entirely sure. I remember Yates quite well, but no of his sidekicks. Good god I hope not. I don't want to deal with that crap again.

Ryan

Forum Member

I don't know why the poor kid wanting a pager to listen to the radio is such a travesty to you guys.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Comeback kid???
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Comeback kid???
    HAHAHAHA. Oh god I remember that tool. Thank you for the flashback.

Ryan

Forum Member

Yates... How about I bring back all of the old threads about the _____...

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ight=AlexYates
    --"No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! I just did not get one... They ran out of them...."
    INSERT RED FLAG HERE - Sound familiar???

Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Ahhh the good old days.

There was never a dull moment back then!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I still don't understand what the problem is here. The kid asked if anyone had a pager to sell. You automatically assume it is malicious for no reason.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone really had a major issue with it. Does a Junior/Explorer really need a pager?? No. I really have to agree with a couple of the others, when they say it really sounds like a case of he asked, they said no, now he will do anything to get his hands on one for whatever reason. Did he ever think maybe there was another reason behind them saying no, but "not having any" was the easiest answer to give him?? There could be a lot more to this story than any of us know and maybe him not having a pager is for the better. Who really knows.

Besides, you know as well as any of us here, that there has been so many of these sorts of threads that now whenever somebody does ask, the thread quickly heads south.

Ryan

Forum Member

My problem with this thread is that this guy's question is self-explanatory. At least for a halfway intelligent person it should be.

Forum Member

It is not for any of you people to decide if he needs a pager or not. Would you prefer he look for smoke on the horizon to know when there is a call? Hell, even if juniors in his department don't go to calls, a pager is a lot easier to carry and listen to than a scanner.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    It is not for any of you people to decide if he needs a pager or not. Would you prefer he look for smoke on the horizon to know when there is a call? Hell, even if juniors in his department don't go to calls, a pager is a lot easier to carry and listen to than a scanner.
    Your right, but if his department said they dont have one for him then that should be it no is no he needs to study his fire departments SOP's and learn why they said they dont have one. Or have you stopped to think they honestly dont have one? I no im not going to be the person here to offer this person a pager because well i only have one and im using it and its not mine to give away. A scanner will work fine for him or if he has the 200 dollars go onto ebay and buy one.

Thread Information