Forum Member

Default Why is the stereotypical FF...out of shape?

It seems like most FF's are out of shape or overweight. Is this true...and if so...why?

I know that half of the guys at my local department are overweight and smokers as well.

Just seems weird to me on a job that is so physical.

Forum Member

Most Americans are over weight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know that I would say MOST. There are a lot that are, yes. There are also a lot who work out everyday, eat right and work to be healthy. I would say MOST are in between those two categories.

I'm starting to see a change in the works here. MOST of our guys didn't work out. Several (myself included) smoked like chimneys. And we ate whatever sounded good at the time. Now I'm starting to see a lot more guys in the weight room. There are only a couple smokers left on the entire department. People are eating a lot better. I hope its a trend that sticks. Our Union is working hard to get a wellness and fitness initiative put into the contract.

It really boils down to individuals. I hate to look at this way, but its true: if a guy really cares about the job, and HONESTLY wants to be the best firefighter possible, they will get in shape. And the rest will either catch up or fall behind.
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

Forum Member

OK, maybe your right Dj, "most" is not the proper word. How about "a large percentage". Thant's what the national studies indicate. XstalkrX, you can replace firefighter other professions like...I don't know....how about police officer. The dough-nut jokes do have some validity. Unfortunately a lot of us are just plain lazy and it takes a motivated person to turn things around. Try getting your Company Officer involved in some type of PT during the shift or even a station run prior to or just after shift change. Start cooking health food and get rid of B.S snacks in the pantry. Once you get everyone involved they will start to feel better and when you go to a fire your crew will stand out amid the other guys. Also, try to remember that your not going to change everyones mind. There will always be a lazy POS who won't snap out of it. Take the new training slow so that know one gets hurt and don't over do it because you never know when the tones will go off. You wouldn't want to be too weak to do your job. Stay safe and healthy!

Forum Member

He's not even "on the job" yet... research his posts!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    He's not even "on the job" yet... research his posts!
    lol. ya i know.

but I went to the open house at our local department, and I've seen my fair share of other departments.

also, the stereotypical mustache........I sure hope I don't see too many of those out there. hideous.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    but I went to the open house at our local department, and I've seen my fair share of other departments.
    So with all this in-depth research you're prepared to move from questioning your own health...

I am at home now, about 20-30 minutes after I have stopped running...and my heart rate is at 108. Is this normal?.... I am a bit concerned
    ... to indicting the entire fire service in just over a week?

That's pretty funny.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Talking

lol. ya i know.

also, the stereotypical mustache........I sure hope I don't see too many of those out there. hideous.
    I don't know Chief, I think mustaches are on there way out. What do you think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    I don't know Chief, I think mustaches are on there way out. What do you think?

This handsome son of a gun says no...

I found a pic of xstalkrx...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-03-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking

lol. ya i know.

Well my young kiddo:
    I've had my stash since long before your mommy & daddy started playing hide the sausage, So I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey now there young feller. I happen to have a nice big fu manchu, or what I otherwise refer to as my "winter bush ". I see nothing wrong with it. So what if some firefighters, who you saw down at the local open house had mustaches? Mine does not interfere with the seal on my mask, most places are fit tested for this reason, and as long as you pass a fit test, you are golden. So be careful whose toes you step on, young buck............ Plus at about 10 degrees tonight, it's keeping my upper lip warm.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Default What????

Round is a shape.....
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

It seems like most FF's are out of shape or overweight. Is this true...and if so...why?

I know that half of the guys at my local department are overweight and smokers as well.

Just seems weird to me on a job that is so physical.

There are a lot of fire fighters that are "overweight" by definition however; there are quite a few that are in better physical condition than citizens their age also.

So, what are you going to do about the physical fitness/health issue at your department? My department(not that it's better than anyone elses) has a wellness program with the YMCA and the department saves big bucks on workers comp. You may want to investigate something like this for your organization.

Thread Information