Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New, loking for advice

Hey everyone, Im getting ready to join the Navy Reserve as a FMF Corpsman (combat medic with the Marines) and my plan is to go to school to become a Firefighter in Florida...

I know that Florida Departments are looking for EMT-Paramedics for best change of getting hired...
    My questions are

1. What kind of schooling will I need to start when I get back? I should be able to get my EMT-b cert when I get back? If not after my C-School

2. Im 26 years of age now and will turn 27 by the time I return, Is this to old of age to start this type of career?

3. Any FMF/Corpsman (prior service or Active Reserve) on here that Drill in Florida?

4. What steps can I take before I ship off to boot camp/school to better my chances?

I want to get into firefighting or even just being a paramedic...
    Any info would be great... thank you very much and happy new year!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Drays1218 View Post
    Hey everyone, Im getting ready to join the Navy Reserve as a FMF Corpsman (combat medic with the Marines) and my plan is to go to school to become a Firefighter in Florida...

I know that Florida Departments are looking for EMT-Paramedics for best change of getting hired...
    My questions are

1. What kind of schooling will I need to start when I get back? I should be able to get my EMT-b cert when I get back? If not after my C-School

2. Im 26 years of age now and will turn 27 by the time I return, Is this to old of age to start this type of career?

3. Any FMF/Corpsman (prior service or Active Reserve) on here that Drill in Florida?

4. What steps can I take before I ship off to boot camp/school to better my chances?

Well i haven't got the job yet but i'm still working on it. but to answer a few of your questions

1.) I'm not 100% sure but i believe that your training in the navy should be able to get you your EMT-B national and then you can test to get you State EMT license. If you can squeeze in an EMT class between bootcamp and your specialty training go for it why not just mean you'll be one more step ahead.

2.) My fire academy class leader was 41. In my opinion i see that as an advantage as you have much more life experience then just being a few years out of high school.

3.) Sorry not me.

4.) Look into volunteer firefighting programs in your area, Get you EMT license before going off. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Forum Member

My questions are

26 is NOT too old!! Your still a young buck! Look into Orange County, they will pay you to get your FF/EMT. They also have a in-house Paramedic Program, done while your on shift and if you have a clinical off shift, you get O.T.!! OC is not the best paid FD in Florida, but I think that is going to change very shortly (i work for OC ). In South Florida I believe that the only FD that you will be able to test for without any certs is Miami-Dade, which is an excellent FD. As far as training goes, Fire Academies are appx. 3 mnths long 5 days a week for full time, 6 mnths long 2 nights, and all day Satudays for part time. Stay or get in good cardio shape, no traffic tickets, no criminal record, and believe it or not alot of FDs do credit checks, so keep that in mind. Any questions, just let me know. Good luck.

Forum Member

1. My friends kid went into the Air Force and is going to PJ school. When he is finished he will be a NREMT-P. I'm sure you must get at least EMT-B as a corpsman. Check it out with your recruiter. If not then start school ASAP.

2. The last group we hired had people in the 35-40 range.

3. No

4. I don't know how much time you have but the most important thing I can tell you is stay clean and keep out of trouble. One dumb mistake can follow you around for life.

Last edited by Dell205; 01-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flfirebuff86 View Post
    Well i haven't got the job yet but i'm still working on it. but to answer a few of your questions

1.) I'm not 100% sure but i believe that your training in the navy should be able to get you your EMT-B national and then you can test to get you State EMT license. If you can squeeze in an EMT class between bootcamp and your specialty training go for it why not just mean you'll be one more step ahead.

2.) My fire academy class leader was 41. In my opinion i see that as an advantage as you have much more life experience then just being a few years out of high school.

3.) Sorry not me.

4.) Look into volunteer firefighting programs in your area, Get you EMT license before going off. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

just curious where you went to school? a guy in my emt course finished dbcc academy in may and was 41. i hear he was picked up by daytona shortly after so that answers the age thing

Forum Member

Thumbs up

My questions are

Honestly, working for the fire department is a better choice than working as a paramedic for a private ambulance company. I say this because with the FD you usually get health care, a defined benefit pension, and union benefits. My $.02.

Thread Information