Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default any 1 out there?

fixn 2 go 2 iraq, whats ur advise?

MembersZone Subscriber

Read the other threads, including the monster-sized original. Keep in mind that some of that info is dated, so maybe you could get away with reading the last half or third of it. Take some of the info with a grain of salt. This includes both the ultra-negative (including some of my own) AND the "gee golly it's great here" overly positive stuff. Like anything, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

But for a (sort of) quick answer:

First and foremost, remember that the military personnel you come in contact with are the reason you have a job, and that many of them are outside the wire on a regular basis, putting it on the line for you. Treat them with lots of respect, from the lowliest private right on up the rank structure. Thank them every chance you get. I mean that.

Pack light, but remember you'll get uniforms issued in Houston, so have some room in your luggage or be ready to buy another suitcase or backpack. Try to condense everything to one bag, two at the MOST. You'll be carrying everything you take with you, at least until you find out where you're going, and you can mail it ahead to your site. You'll also get turnout gear once you get in country.

Keep your expectations low. You're less likely to be disappointed. If it turns out better than you expected, then it's good.

Don't come over here expecting to fight a lot of fire.

Don't come over here thinking YOU are the guy who will fix all the problems. You may be able to improve some things, so be happy with that.

Don't expect it to be like a fire department back home. It's a corporation engaged in the business of fire protection, with a heavy emphasis on inspections.

If you want to get promoted, expect to do something to get it. DON'T just say "I want to be a lieutenant" and think it's going to happen on its own. Of course, on the negative side, all too often it's apple polishers who get promoted, because that's who stands out. There aren't enough calls to stand out on the fireground, and no matter what kind of firefighter you are, if you can't handle the tons of paperwork, you won't make it as an officer. (I am NOT saying that all you'll have for officers are ***** kissers.) Also, if you do get promoted, don't think you're going to be like a fire officer back home. You'll be an administrator who just happens to ride the right front seat. Your workload will depend on how much your site leader delegates.

When you arrive at your site, sit back and see how things work, then figure out how you can contribute. Don't walk in the door saying "I'm going to prove to all of you why you don't deserve to be called firefighters" YES there was a guy who said those very words. He proved to all of us why HE didn't deserve to be a firefighter. Don't try to change everything in place the minute you get involved with it. Some of it might in fact be completely jacked up, but it might also be getting done in accordance with directives from HQ. There's a lot of micromanagement. Deal with it. Vent about it.

Last but not least, whenever things look bleak, and it's driving you crazy beyond what you think you can stand, next thing you know it'll be payday, and it won't suck nearly so bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple more things.

Alcohol. It's not allowed. Deal with it. If you can't go 4 months without a drink, find an AA chapter and stay home.

No matter what kind of player (swordsman, stud, gigolo, insert-your-choice-of-word here) you are or think you are back home, IF you choose to try your luck here (and especially if you succeed), keep it LOW KEY. First of all, if you're hitting on anything on two legs, you look like an idiot. Second, if you think you're her only offer, get a grip on reality. Third, she just might report you, and you'll be out of here faster than you can blink. Is that piece of tail worth $90,000?

Forum Member

cmon, how good looking are the girls there that youre willing to risk the money ones making?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcuf9905 View Post
    A couple more things.

Alcohol. It's not allowed. Deal with it. If you can't go 4 months without a drink, find an AA chapter and stay home.

No matter what kind of player (swordsman, stud, gigolo, insert-your-choice-of-word here) you are or think you are back home, IF you choose to try your luck here (and especially if you succeed), keep it LOW KEY. First of all, if you're hitting on anything on two legs, you look like an idiot. Second, if you think you're her only offer, get a grip on reality. Third, she just might report you, and you'll be out of here faster than you can blink. Is that piece of tail worth $90,000?
    No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
    ~W. A. Nance~

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
    ~Walt Disney~

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    ~Mark Twain~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
    ~James R. Cook~

Life don't suck. Life is what you make of it.
    ~FIREFLY~

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFly61875 View Post
    cmon, how good looking are the girls there that youre willing to risk the money ones making?
    dude, 2 words, air force. !!! think about it.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by clif21402 View Post
    fixn 2 go 2 iraq, whats ur advise?
    U cld lrn 2 rite n spel.........
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude, I wouldn't post the warning if there weren't folks (and I don't necessarily mean WSI) doing so.

The point was really as much DON'T MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD (by hitting on anything with a pulse right in front of everyone, and/or just by being "that guy" who thinks he's a stud and runs game on every female he sees) as it was not risking it/getting caught. I guess I didn't really phrase it right, so it came across more like "don't get caught." Frankly I don't really care if a guy gets caught and fired, OTHER THAN for the fact that it would make us all look like crap.
    Last edited by Tikcuf9905; 01-06-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Forum Member

i hear ya and i wasnt thinking .. airforce girls are HOT!!!!
    No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
    ~W. A. Nance~

~Walt Disney~

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    ~Mark Twain~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
    ~James R. Cook~

~FIREFLY~

MembersZone Subscriber

i hear ya and i wasnt thinking .. airforce girls are HOT!!!!
    The Army is no slouch either, and even the Corps seems to have a higher percentage of good looking women than when I was in. I used to think that Marine recuriters were only allowed two women a year who rated better than an 8, and only five women rated 5 or higher. After that it was 4's and below.

Forum Member

Default Spelling, chicks? Airforce, Marines and Army?

I'm laughing at these posts here. This thread started as what? Who knows cause now Fireflee is looking at who has the hottest chicks. LOL
    But i'm with tikcuff. Don't be that guy and don't make yourself look like a ***** cause she is the only girl you see in a 1/4 mile radius.
    Yeah when she first gets there she will walk into the DFAC and look around, showered, hair is done, make up on and looks like she is carrying a a smile. After about a month of being there she probably won't shower, won't do her hair, won't wear the make up and won't even budge her eyes in ANY direction other than her destination and if you make the mistake of being the fool to hit on her at the DFAC your the one who makes WSI look like crap.
    There are also plenty of horror stories about hooking up so don't do it. Thats my warning.
    I saw one guy who hooked up with a Army gal and fall in love, then suddenly he was tranferred to another place where he couldnt be withher anymore. He was heart broken but she was ok surrounded by about 1 lady to 5,000 guys. H A HA That poor guy was soo broken hearted.
    He became disgruntled and ****ed off all the time after that. I wish he wouldn't of ever hooked up cause now i had to deal with him and his anger for the next 3 months.
    So don't be a sap and make your time in Iraq hard by falling in love and don't try to hook up. HA HA just don't be stupid.
    We could go on with the don'ts so I'll keep this simple for all, its against your contract. Get caught or in trouble doing it will only hurt you.
    Oh and the hottest chicks are Air Force for sure!!!!!!!
    Last edited by FIRESKEITH; 01-09-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post

Chief, you did that so well...........

I am working on becoming illiterate . Any suggestions????
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Cool

I would like to point out that the girls from other countries military's aren't that bad looking either, I'm currently deployed with the Army to Kosovo. Just thought I would throw that out there. But as far as having many calls, I wouldn't depend on that, I only here the Fire Dept here a couple times a month. Also Good Luck
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

Smile passwords

anyone have aa and DO codes for knightlite....???pls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VolFFJohn View Post
    I would like to point out that the girls from other countries military's aren't that bad looking either, I'm currently deployed with the Army to Kosovo. Just thought I would throw that out there. But as far as having many calls, I wouldn't depend on that, I only here the Fire Dept here a couple times a month. Also Good Luck
    this is true .. i seen a vid of other women in the service of other countries. maybe one day ill get to see em first hand. as of now things are held up yet again...
    ~W. A. Nance~

~Walt Disney~

~Mark Twain~

~James R. Cook~

~FIREFLY~

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post

Too funny. I have to come here every so often to get in a good laugh. Thanks guys and gals!!

Thread Information