Forum Member

Default What can excess funds be used on?

My Dept. received a grant for 12 SCBA's and a compressor/fill station. One of my dealers is wanting to work with the pricing and have the 5 thousand of excess left. He wants to offer us a TIC with the excess as part of the whole package.

My question is does the excess funds have to be used on scba related items or can it be used on anything that is normally eligible through the grant program.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by conkster View Post
    My Dept. received a grant for 12 SCBA's and a compressor/fill station. One of my dealers is wanting to work with the pricing and have the 5 thousand of excess left. He wants to offer us a TIC with the excess as part of the whole package.

My question is does the excess funds have to be used on scba related items or can it be used on anything that is normally eligible through the grant program.

Thanks for any help.

Dan
    Per the PG:

(1)
    Grantees may use the greater of 1% of their award amount or $5,000 to continue, or expand, the activities for which they received the award. For example, if a grantee has funds remaining after completion of the activities listed in their grant agreement, the grantee may use excess funds (subject to the above limitation) to purchase other eligible items without seeking DHS approval.
    There is alot of leeway when using excess funds to further the scope of the grant. The TIC is an eligible project under AFG, the question is does it fall within the scope of your grant. You need to CYA. Let the AFG make a determination that it falls within the above definition.

The easiest way is to submit Grant Amendment Request explaining how the department will use the excess funds. Also explain the cost difference that the department will make up.

More than likely the request will be denied, because the amendment was not needed meaning it's approved. You would recieve something like this:

Mr. So and So, an amendment request is not needed to use up to $5,000 in excess funds to purchase additional items within the scope of your grant. After you have completed the purchase of all items originally requested in your grant, you may use up to $5,000 in excess funds to purchase additional equipment. Please call name of GMS at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you have any questions. Thank you.
    Did this for radios for the brush truck in 2005.

This also provides documentation if there are any questions about the purchase during an audit from your FPS.

Forum Member

Default Question on line items

If we were awarded 25 radios for 100% department compliant....and someone wanted to keep their old radio and get a mini-monitor instead....is this allowed???

If there is extra dollars left in this line item....could we update a radio in one vehicle and still be ok? Talking about maybe $500 total.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. After talking to my sales rep more, what he is doing is charging us a little more for everything. He said we will still be within budget for the scba's and compressor/fill station and the TIC will be a "freebie".

Wow, it only took 6 days for this post to show up. I thought it was lost. we'll see how long this reply takes.

Dan

Forum Member

Carl,

Kinda confused with your question. Could you give us a little better explanation as to what you were applying for and what you were awarded?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by carlthompson View Post
    If we were awarded 25 radios for 100% department compliant....and someone wanted to keep their old radio and get a mini-monitor instead....is this allowed???

If there is extra dollars left in this line item....could we update a radio in one vehicle and still be ok? Talking about maybe $500 total.
    Carl,

IMHO, you would be violating the scope of the grant. You requested 25 new radios to bring the department to 100% compliance with standards, compatibility, interoperability etc. Keeping an old radio (non-compliant) and providing a mini-monitor (what ever that is) is not meeting the scope of the grant. It should be 100% replacement with new radios no exceptions.

Using excess funds to an update a vehicle radio would be acceptable, because it's continuing/expanding the current program. Just remember that you want to CYA in both situations.

Thread Information