Forum Member

Default Simple question (no debate, please) on Leather lids

1st- I know this has to be on here some where already but haven't found it...so in advance (before I get yelled at by someone), sorry if I missed the previous thread.

2nd- I'm NOT looking to start a debate, argument, etc! I simply have a question that I can not get answered by reading literature.

So hear it is. I'm seriously considering buying a Cairns N5A or N6A. The only huge difference I have read in the literature is that the N6A (Houston) has the Lexan dome. I also did see where it stated that the N6A was NFPA & the N5A is OSHA compliant. My main question is...are the exterior "looks" the same? As far as shape, height etc. (Of course not including the personal bending of the helmet).

Not very many people/depts in my area use leather, so if your thinking go compare them...I can't. There is one guy on my dist. that has a leather but not sure what it is yet...and I will get a hold of him as soon as I can.

Thanks for any serious input...it is much appreciated.

***ducking while waiting for a response...LOL***
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, the N6A and N5A look almost identical. the N6A might sit a little higher, but that's about it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the N6A compliant if you have goggles ordered and attached to the helmet. so if you order a N6A with just bourkes (like I would do) and carry safety glasses in your pocket, that it doesn't meet the NFPA requirements, only OSHA.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

The shell of the N6A is between 1/2" and 5/8" taller than the N5A. The reason for the difference is because of the differences between the impact liners in the two lids.
    I was told this information over the phone by a representative of Cairns/MSA.

Is 5/8" a noticeable difference? No. There is a slight weight increase with the N6A over the N5A. Roughly 8 ounces, if I recall correctly.

I was also told that an N6A with Bourkes is NFPA compliant, so long as goggles are kept with the firefighting ensemble. In other words, they may be kept in a pocket of your gear and you'll still be in compliance with the standard.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default :)

Thank you both for the info. Not to concerned about the goggle issue, I already deal with that for my 1010 to have it compliant. But it is a good point.

So is the N5A not NFPA compliant even with goggles? Is that because of the lack of the Lexan dome?
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wcfpd2601 View Post
    Thank you both for the info. Not to concerned about the goggle issue, I already deal with that for my 1010 to have it compliant. But it is a good point.

So is the N5A not NFPA compliant even with goggles? Is that because of the lack of the Lexan dome?

It is a Kevlar impact liner, not Lexan. But yes, you are correct.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

As a side note...

The N6A is NFPA compliant without goggles, if it has the 4" face shield. But who really wants that?!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Good information to know. I am in the market for a leather too in the near future...... Need to save some money.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Thread Information