Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Northern Illinois Medic Class?

anyone know of any medic classes starting soon that would be not too far from my town of Ohio, IL? I would be willing to travel a reasonable distance to class say 30-50 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was going to take the class at Sauk Valley Community College but they cancelled the class again for the second semester in a row.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Default Some Ideas

Well, being a Bureau County transplant, I'll tell you what worked for me....Trinity College in Rock Island has a 2 semester class, but it starts in the Fall, so that wouldn't be until August. However, it's one of only two programs with national accredited programs. The downfall is the price, it's high, like $10,000, 2 days a week plus clinical time, but an excellent program to get in to. Blackhawk College has a program as well, 3 semesters, but it is being rewritten, you could look into that as well, and a lot cheaper. AMT in Peoria has classes, too, not sure about the pricing. So I guess I have a few options, you can drop me an email at rifd0906@yahoo.com if you have any other questions. If you are looking to be hired by a full time department, the sacrifice is worth every minute of the class.

Forum Member

I'm hoping to find something from OSF in Rockford seeing that they are our EMS system here at my fd and at CGH in sterling. I am hoping to get on full time but i would like to go to the suburbs, lisle-woodridge way or naperville, etc.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

Default I hear ya

I know that there are classes up around Rockford too. Going to the burbs could be fun, I guess you really want to be a busy paramedic! I'm not sure if you are looking to be more active in the fire or EMS side, but I'd ask some guys in the burbs how many "fires" they run, I know that it isn't as busy except for car fires, alarms, and stuff like that. The City of Chicago would be better for fires, or even some mid sized departments like out here seem to have more actual working fires. I had some friends go to Rockford for medic school, but I'm not sure where they went. You could always look up the EMS websites for Rockford Memorial or Swedish American, the EMS Coordinators there would be the people to talk to. Shoot me an email if you need some contact names, I have a few.

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Smile P class

Sorry I didn't get this out sooner.
    Swedes EMS is having a P class at Highland College in Freeport. The way they do it is a Basic to I class first and then those who want to go on to Medic take that class. The B to I class started in Oct and will end in June '08The I to P class starts Sep 25, 08 and ends April 16, 09. Cost is $800 per class. Both my kids took an I class thru OSF and that cost was $1,100 or $1,200 and that much again for Medic. Swedes instructors are excellent too.

For info, Call Linda at Swedes at 815-489-6082 or Dick 6081. If you talk to Dick, tell him I sent you
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member

i have a application for the P class coming from swedes for their P class starting in the fall. Only down side is when/if i pass the state test i will have to test into the OSF system. But oh well it wont be the last time i test into a new system im sure. Thank you much for the info though capt. I appreciate everyone who has offered help.

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Good luck. Then again, you could get your department to change resource hospitals and go with Swedes like most of us up im my neck of the woods did.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member

is it hard to get into the swedes class. where i am from every one uses osf

Default Medic Class

I am on Mendota Fire Dept Part-time and a private in Aurora Full time, also a NREMT-B instructor for the College of Dupage. I was in the same boat you were. Mendota is in RMH's system, "Rock River Region EMS" Region 1. RMH is holding a class right now at MFD 2 nights a week, Monday and Thursday from 6p-10p. It's an 18 month class an also nationally accredited program. We are done with this class in November 08 so we're more than 1/2 way through it now. I know they are starting a second one at Rockford Memorial Hospital in August. rifd0906 has been given false information if he states that trinity college is 1 of 2 nationally accredited programs. Loyola is # 1 and Rockford is also, and apparently trinity college. $10,000 is crazy, the program is $1500 and thats all of your fee's for ITLS, ALCS, PALS, and a 12 lead course put on by Bob Page @ RMH who is the on Paramedic on the AHA board of Directors. There are many programs out there that would fit your needs, you can e-mail me if you have any more questions. Justinj30@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Talking Illinois Accredidation

Actually Probie, I am correct. There are only 2 EMT-P accredited programs in the state of Illiois by the Commission on Accredidation of Allied Health Programs, these being Loyola and Trinity. You may be correct in the thought that NREMT recognizes other sites, but as for actual college programs, these are the only two. I have been in EMS in Illinois for 13 years and don't speak out of turn without knowing the facts. You can visit the CAAHEP website at http://www.caahep.org/Find_An_Accredited_Program.aspx to verify. Yes, I don't argue that they may be a bit on the high dollar side, but coming from the Illinois Valley area, they are a HUGE step up from having to spend time in the firehouse or at a smaller, less busy hospital area with limited call volume. I worked there for 10 years, including with some of your own firefighters on the EMS side. Other programs do turn out excellent paramedics, I'm not arguing that point in any way, shape, or form. Sorry if you felt that I was misspoken, but as for college programs, this is correct. These are very highly respected, accelerated programs that have an excellent reputation, not that others do not, but I would list them as cream of the crop. I know my buddies in Mendota can back me up, lol!
    Last edited by rifd0906; 05-28-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Thread Information