Thread: Beware!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Beware!!!

My day job consists of testing fire alarm systems and each device (smoke/heat/duct detectors, pullstations, etc) included in said system.

Thursday, I had the "privelege" of testing a long-term care center. I found this in the basement:

This is a storage room in the basement. One door (I was standing in the doorway when I took the pic), newly added studded wall (left side), and the 2 large windows in the background (room in rear of building- front of basement is actually underground). Here's the problem with the new wall: say you're searching, the $h!t hits the fan, and you need a rapid means of egress. The windows are unaccessible because of the chairs, so NOW what do you do? Unless you put your face on the wall, you might not know that it's actually drywall and 2"x4" studs; a wall you can breach/your means of egress.

These are wheelchairs. Wall-to-wall. It took me and 2 grown men to push this door open, as there were chairs IN FRONT of the door. Fortunately (or un-, depending on how you look at it), I'm skinny, so we only had to push the door open about 2' to get me inside. There is ONE smoke detector in the center of this room about 10' up. I had to climb on top of the chairs to get to the device. Imagine having to do a search or do suppression in this room. Can we say "hell?"

This isn't in my fire district, but it may be in yours. Keep your eyes open, and stay safe.

Just lookin out for my brothers and sisters.
    Last edited by NismoFire; 01-05-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

This is a classic storage room. The packrat kicks in and people cant trash anythng if there is still space left in the attic or basement. Be safe when searching rooms with limited egress.

Forum Member

Amazing!!! A clutered basement.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Amazing!!! A clutered basement.
    No kidding......I have seen some houses (Living quarters) cluttered the same way. With very narrow walkways from the couch to the kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms......etc. At least in commercial structures you can at least get a little heads up (sometimes) with inspections.

T.J.

Forum Member

it is the same problem here,in many different buildings:hospital,house for retired people....

it is crazy that the basement is full of wheel chairs or chairs or armchairs....

you can say to the "manager" of this long term care center that this behavior is dangerous and can kill many people in case of fire.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

It looks hot in there

I would waltz right over to the local FD and talk to whoever does inspections, I'm sure if they have the authority to levy fines, there probably would be one levied here.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

This looks like most of the affordable housing in my town. they cant afford to go to the dump but they can always afford to get more junk.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

breaking news, the first Coller's Health Facility!

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not the first time I've seen it, but the first time I've seen it THAT bad.

......it's always those "packrat" homes that catch fire. Never the nice, neat ones..
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    I would waltz right over to the local FD and talk to whoever does inspections, I'm sure if they have the authority to levy fines, there probably would be one levied here.
    Is it common in your area for the FD to levy fines? All I care about is hazard abatement.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

As a Code Enforcement Official, my primary concern isnt really the poopload of crap (although it does worry me, dont get me wrong.....) My main concern would be that newly installed wall. Did they obtain a building permit, which would have:

-ensured they used the proper materials and methods for the existing building type and occupancy class

-ensured through inspections that all fire stopping was installed, and installed correctly and where needed

-and most importantly of all- that the new wall does not interfere with sprinkler coverage! (if sprinklers are present.)

As far as the loading goes, jurisdiction for this falls on the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). Some places it would be the Code Enforcement Office, some places it would be the Fire Marshal's Office. Remember, many communities do not have a Fire Marshal, and in most cases AHJ falls back on the Code Official. (And for an added twist, many communities dont have a Code Enforcement Official OR a FM, so AHJ falls on the Fire Chief! )

Legally (at least in my jurisdiction) you just cant march in there and "fine" them right off the bat, no matter how stupid you think they are, or as much as you'd like to. This situation was no doubt caused by mismanagement who is just niaeve to the causes of fire, or the situation which they created (no doubt out of complacency.) They probably have no other place to store the materials.

In the jurisdiction where I am a Code Official, I would have handled it like this: I would have Nextelled the FM, (who by the way I have a great working relationship with) and if he was able, had him come right over. We both would have spoken with the Manager of the Facility, and explained the do's and dont's of storage of combustibles in an Elder-Care Facility. We would then have offered several options (get rid of it all, get rid of some of it and store it in a neat and orderly manner, store it off site, etc...) and then given the management a reasonable amount of time to correct the situation. (15, 30, 45, whatever days.....) Our FM probably would have allowed 15 days if this was not sprinklered, 30 if it were.

At the end of the amount of time, a reinspection would have occurred, at which time we would mark the violation as "corrected" and if not, a Notice of Violation would have been issued, which basically says "You have X amount of time (we would have been ****ed at that point that they didnt do it in the 15-30 and probably given 5 days at that point) or we issue a citation. A monetary amount is noted on the citation ($1000 a day per day for the violation, that being every day beyond the date of issue of the NOV.)

A Non-Traffic Citation would have been written. Copies mailed to the local District Justice (DJ), the "Defendant", the FM and Code Enforcement Official, and the Town's attorney (solicitor.) DJ gives everyone a date to appear, everyone appears, presents evidence and testimony, and then the DJ renders a verdict and what he deems and appropriate fine. Around here, the DJ's are usually pretty good about big businesses and fire code violations and usually hit them pretty hard, only because they chose to ignore all of the above.

So, as you can see, just "marching in there and issuing a citation" isn't always easy. It's the last thing most AHJ's want to do. (in most cases.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information