Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lafd

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lafd

I have a few questions for anyone familar with LA City:

I'm flying out to LA to take the written next week. I'm from Milwaukee, WI so I'm not too familiar with anything out on the West Coast. My question is about EMS. I know they run ALS rescue units out of the fire houses. I'm guessing the medics run Ambo one shift, suppression the next? Do the rest of us only run BLS off of the engines and trucks? Or are there BLS ambulances as well? I tried researching this, but couldn't find a straight answer. Any information would be great.

I heard on the forums at firecareers.com that many with previous experience or certs get passed over during the background investigation because LAFD likes those that can start fresh. They don't want to try and change old habits. Is this true? I have WI FF I/II, EMT-B, HazMat-Tech, over half of my degree done, and experience with three different depts.

I work POC for three different fire departments in the Milwaukee Metro area. I also go to college full-time so I don't exactly have much money. I had to save up and get hooked up with some cheap plane tickets from a friend that works for an airline just to have a chance to come take the written test. So I was wondering how hard it is to start a life out there if I were to be hired? I have no wife or children so it would be only me. However, I heard it is still almost impossible to find a place to live out there without already being wealthy. I wouldn't need the nicest place to start out, but I would at least like somewhere safe. I know I still have a long way to go, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Are there any websites besides their recruiting site with information?

Thanks in advance for everything. I bought BC Lepore's interview book so hopefully I will be prepared when the time comes!

I think you are reading into the build up and hype too much. Dont worry about the certs, prev. exp. and cost of living. Just go there and do well on the testing part.

As for the flight prices, just do Southwest or Jet Blue. Find the cheapest price, book it and go.

PM me for anything else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Bou. I lucked out this time. My friend said if he can come along, he can get me round trip for $100 since he worked for an airline. Then he has a friend out there so I will be staying for free as well.

Don't fret about the cost of living. If you make it through and get hired, you'll be making enough money to rent a decent apartment. Just get ready for the culture shock. Los Angeles is a different planet compared to a place like Wisconsin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, that helps a lot. Wasn't sure how much someone needs to make to be comfortable over there. Also the starting salary on the website has a pretty big range so I'm not sure what that depends on.

I'm fairly familiar with the big city life style since I'm from Milwaukee. It's still NOTHING compared to LA, but I'm not from rural WI.

Thanks, did you get hired? I know you had a thread before about taking the test.

Only question I really have left is the one about EMS.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I'm fairly familiar with the big city life style since I'm from Milwaukee.
    That's cute, in a midwestern sort of way. I've been to Milwaukee. It's a big city in the fact that it's large, but it's pretty whitebread. You'll see what I mean when you get out here.

Thanks, did you get hired? I know you had a thread before about taking the test.
    I passed my interview and am currently waiting to hear from the Initial Panel Review as to whether or not I move on.

Only question I really have left is the one about EMS.
    I don't know what kind of shifts the paramedics run, but yes, they do have BLS ambulances. And there are also paramedic assessment engines in some stations.

Seriously, dont sweat the LA cost of living. I dont think you have to be a current resident during the probation period. So just go and kick *** on the testing part and wait for the call.

One more thing, plan on more plane tickets, obviously. If you pass the test, you'll be out the next month for the interview, and the next month for backgrounds if you pass the interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys.

And funny JLam. haha I've been to plenty of big cities though. Chicago, Hong Kong, St Louis, etc. I don't think it should be a problem. Always wanted to live in one, but never have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got back last night. I thought the test was pretty easy, and I can't wait to hear back.

LA was an amazing city. I loved it there. I stayed in North Hollywood with a friend.(same apt. complex as a few celebs like Jamie Lynn Spears and Outkast) The city fits my personality perfectly. It's fast paced, but still fairly laid back.

I visited St. 27 and St. 86. Every firefighter that I met from each station was great. I wasn't too sure how they would like out of state candidates, but they thought that it was awesome. They told me that thought it was awesome that I came from the other side of the country and that I seemed very dedicated.

After that visit, I realized that the price of living isn't too bad at all. Many of the firefighters also mentioned that you could easily make 100k with overtime because they are understaffed with so many retiring. It's available whenever needed.

One of the firefighters said his brother was in the process. He said each step for his brother was only two weeks apart. That's awesome that it moves so fast.

One question I do have is about the Mock Interview. It's next Saturday already and I have no chance of making it. This is too important to me to take any chances though so I talked to the lady scheduling them about my situation. It's literally impossible for me to financially afford to go. I also work a 60 hour shift at the firehouse this weekend. She gave me a number and told me to call some guy about it. She said that because of my situation I will probably be able to schedule it within a few days of my actual interview, which would be great.

I am just curious as to how much it helps. Was it so similar to the actual interview that you were almost positive that you would pass?

Thanks again!

Forum Member

Everyone’s an expert.

It’s an opportunity to get to sit in the hot seat before an oral. I think you should be careful in using what people tell you. As our son Captain Rob says, “There going to tell you how to do it if they were you. They’re not you.”

Using existing answers doesn't work in your favor as was pointed out in this recent posting: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97195

One candidate just went through a mock interview with a large agency. The following week he went to his oral and was immediately psyched out by the first question he had never heard. He had only heard two of the questions before. None from his mock interview. Turns out they changed the questions before he showed up and no body got the memo.

This from a LA City candidate:

I had a chance to do a mock oral for LA City in preparation for their interviews.

The Capt I interviewed w/ gave me some great suggestions. One question he did ask, in which I said, "I don't know the answer" was, "why is it important for a fire station to have diverse ethnicities". I now know.

He said it's important for the community to see their race/culture/ethnicity present when you arrive at an emergency. The public feels more comfortable when "one of their own" is present. I think it's probably good to have ethnic representation in the firehouse just to keep things even keel as well. Especially now days w/ tensions. Thought this might be something other candidates would find useful.

Reply: I would not use this type of answer. Think about it? If he gave you this answer he has given it to how many others? You would be a clone. Also, I wouldn't like the answer from this angle if I were a member on your panel. More here: http://www.eatstress.com/diversity3.htm

Rob had a candidate Dave in for coaching at our home testing for this same LA City department. He asked me some questions before the coaching session. One of the captains told him against our suggests to dump the whole load if they ask you “Tell us a little about yourself.” Just keep talking until they stop you. I told him BS! It’s not a scored question/answer. An icebreaker question just to get you comfortable in the chair. A minute or less about you, your hobbies and interests. If they look baffled ask them if they want to hear more.

He said, “Well this captain is on the panel.” Then you get to choose what direction you want to go in. This captain might want to hear the rambling but if the other raters don’t it could hurt your oral board score. Rob agreed.

So, this was a last minute coaching session on a Thursday for an interview the following Monday. Rob was driving home from work that next Monday and his cell phone rings. It’s Dave. He just got out of his oral board for LA City. He was walked down the hall, told he just scored a 100% on his oral and was handed a background packet. WOW! Dave said, “My head is still spinning. This is the best I’ve ever done.”

CB Reply: Oh, yea go ahead and dump the whole load.

More on the LA City process here: http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm

I heard on the forums at firecareers.com that many with previous experience or certs get passed over during the background investigation because LAFD likes those that can start fresh. They don't want to try and change old habits. Is this true?

The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with seasoned veterans like your self taking entry level or lateral tests is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board's skills are rusty and antiquated. It's hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-13-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Mock Interview.
    I took it and it was the single most important thing I did (I ended up w/ a 95 on my actual oral and am currently awaiting the results from the Initial Panel Review.)
    My advice? Call the recruitment unit and speak with one of the captains in there. Be humble and explain your situation, and maybe one of them will have a soft spot for you and offer to do a mock oral over the phone if you ask very nicely.

I'm not guaranteeing anything but it can't hurt.

(213) 485-8032 is the Recruitment Unit phone number.
    Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I finally got a hold of the guy that does the Mock Interviews. He told me that it would be no problem at all to have it right before my real interview. He also gave me another number and told me to ask to have my background scheduled for the same day as my interview. It's great that they are helping me out with this.

Thread Information