Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's it like?

Default What's it like?

Hello,

I am an EMT-B interested in volunteering for a volunteer fire company. I wanted to hear some experiences from other volunteer firefighters. What kind of training do you go through? What do you usually do? What is it like being the new person around the fire house? Are the physical requirements for a volunteer firefighter the same as a career firefighter?

Thanks for all your help.

Thumbs up I hope this helps a little.

It's great to hear that your interested in becoming a firefighter. The training that you go though will depend on your local department, my department sends us to training though out our state if we want to. As far as what you will be doing that varies by department also. I live in a largely rural area so most of my calls are on the farm. Now for being the new guy, always be willing to learn whatever you can from the old timers, as you might already know being an EMT, also remember that at some point everyone was a new guy.

As for physical requirements that also depends on your department, my department really doesn't have any standard so long as you can do the job.

You can check with the department that your interested in joining and ask them. I hope this helps.
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamWolf View Post
    Hello,

I am an EMT-B interested in volunteering for a volunteer fire company. I wanted to hear some experiences from other volunteer firefighters. What kind of training do you go through? What do you usually do? What is it like being the new person around the fire house? Are the physical requirements for a volunteer firefighter the same as a career firefighter?

Thanks for all your help.
    Well you are making a good choice. I have nothing but good things to say about my time in the VFD. It's been a great way to meet new people, both in the Dept and within the community. The training I went through was my FFI and MFR, with a few other courses here and there,those are all done at the fire school or instructors brought in. We train weekly as a dept, doing various things from cutting up a car to the very basics. As far as my dept there is no real difference being the new guy and the oldest guy there. None of this you are the new guy so you get to do all the probie style jobs like you might find in some career depts. You are there to learn your job and show that we should spend the money on you to get you on a FFI and other courses. My dept is much like the above poster in that we don't have a set physical requirement although most have a good workout from doing PT at work on or their own time. Really it all depends on the jobs you are going to do. Maybe as a guy who drives all the time it might not be as stressed as say the person who is constantly doing the interior work or what have you. Hopefully you decide to join up. You won't regret it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information