Thread: Written test

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Written test

What study guide do you recommend for the written test. I'm going to be taking the test for Arlington and I'm looking for suggestions.

Forum Member

You might want to call the Human Resources department and ask them for any recommendations on which book to use.....or check out the Firefighters Bookstore @ www.firebooks.com

Best wishes.

Forum Member

Default Which written test?

A little more information might be helpful.
    Arlington VA?
    Arlington Ohio?
    Arlington GA?
    Arlington TX?
    Arlington Mass.
    Arlington TN.
    Arlington MN.

Etc. Etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry Arlington VA

Forum Member

Default Arlington VA Test

Have you seen this?

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...loyHiring.aspx
    Notice that they will provide you with a study guide. This will probably be your best source for information.

I can't offer much more specific to Arlington VA.

In many civil service cities, the missing of one question can drop you 10 places, or more, on the list.

I have been involved in the administering of these tests. I have seem people do poorly because of simple mistakes.

Much of the test will probably be reading comprehension and math.

Advice I can give you includes:
    1. Listen to the instructions CAREFULLY. Often there will be hints that will tell you how to do better. For example, "You may answer the questions in any order." This means that you can look at the questions, on the reading comprehension part BEFORE you read the paragraphs. I have seen people trying to memorize paragraphs before turning the page to answer a simple question. It is much easier to find the answer if you already know the question.

2. Study up on 9th grade math. Make sure you know how to add, divide and multiply fractions and decimals. Do you know how to cancel to speed up fraction multiplication?You will have some Algebra. Simple mistakes will cost you. They will give you some values and ask you to solve for an unknown.
    For example: np= 49, d=2
    29.7 X d squared X square root of np = GPM. (Of course this will be written with math symbols.)
    Do not skip steps or do it in your head. If you do and make a simple mistake, you can rest assured that the incorrect answer you come up with WILL be one of the choices.
    Rewrite the line, each time with either values inserted or the math done.
    You will get to,
    29.7 X 4 X 7 =
    Then do,
    29.7 X (4x7) =
    29.7 X 28 =
    831.6 = GPM
    This might seem simple but MANY people fail on this simply by skipping a step.
    These websites, and others can help you with fractions and algebra.
    http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/algebra.html
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/
    Don't worry about the advanced stuff. Just go over the basics.

3. They will also often say, "You may write on these books/tests." This means you can draw and do what every you need to in order to determine what cog turns another or what drawing makes a cube.

4. Do not waste time. I have seen people fail because the spend too much time on questions. Quickly mark your first thought and then mark the question, in the book, if you want to come back to it later, if you have time. I have witnessed smart people run out of time and not have half of the questions answered.

Good Luck!

Permanently Removed

Brother Scott beat me to it- www.firebooks.com

PS- Scott, come back home to Cali, now.

Forum Member

They are basic. If you graduated high school without a problem you will do just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now what actually determins who gets the job, written test score? Or does your test score just determine if you go to the next step?

Forum Member

The test score will most likely determine the next step in the hiring process. If you pass the cpat is normally the next step.

Forum Member

Default Who gets the job?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter3419 View Post
    Now what actually determins who gets the job, written test score? Or does your test score just determine if you go to the next step?
    This varies greatly from place to place. State rules vary and you can find vast differences between neighboring cities. But usually each step just gets you to the next one.

In my city your score on the written test is everything. There will be several pass/fail situations to deal with like background checks and physicals but each person is considered in the order of the test score. If you make it to the interview, you will be hired. (If there is an opening.) The guy after you could be the chief's nephew and have a masters degree in fire protection and 8 years on another department, but if you score one point higher on the test, you will get hired, and not him. (Unless the interview board happens to get you to spill you guts about something they did not know about.) This is all because we are governed under state civil service. (In my state a city can choose to be civil service or not by a vote.)

With other (non-civil service) cities the hiring process is very subjective. They can hire someone who barely pases the test over you, even though you made 100% on it. They can hire him simply because they like him better. Often they prefer local guys. One department in my area actually gives district questions on their test.

Look at the Arlington VA website I gave you. It gives you step by step what happens. The value or weight of the oral interview is probably something only people with that department can answer.
    http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...loyHiring.aspx

Arlington VA, last I checked, is not really a city but rather a county / district. I can't begin to tell you what laws govern the way they hire FFs.

For my department we just gave a written test for firefighters. About 200 people passed the test. We immediately sent a notice to the first 50 to take the physical fitness test. The one's who passed that, were sent to physicals etc. and then given a time to be at HQ for the interview. We did not get enough people to hire out of that group so now we have sent the second 50 a notice of physical fitness test etc. They will have their interviews in a few weeks. (If they get through everything.) We might have to go to the third 50 to get everyone we need this year.

Does this help?

MembersZone Subscriber

CAPT, Thank you very much for your insight.

Forum Member

I've had much success with the Red covered Barrons' study guide... had the content and more math than most books I looked at...

Thread Information