Forum Member

Default what to wear to oral interview

I just took my written test. I am very confident that I scored well on it. I will know Monday if I move onto the oral. They have 2 orals and my 1st one would be with other firefighters and possibly a capt. from the department. What would everyone recommend wearing to this interview? I know that suits are a must when meeting with the Chief and HR rep, and I know when in doubt just overdress. But if it isn't typical to wear a suit to this 1st oral I would hate to stick out (in an akward way). Thanks for the advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by redtroy View Post
    I just took my written test. I am very confident that I scored well on it. I will know Monday if I move onto the oral. They have 2 orals and my 1st one would be with other firefighters and possibly a capt. from the department. What would everyone recommend wearing to this interview? I know that suits are a must when meeting with the Chief and HR rep, and I know when in doubt just overdress. But if it isn't typical to wear a suit to this 1st oral I would hate to stick out (in an akward way). Thanks for the advice.
    Unless you wear a tuxedo, you can't overdress. Wear the suit. Wearing the suit shows respect for the people that you are meeting with, as well as the position you are applying for. It shows professionalism. It shows maturity.

Anything more casual indicates that you are not taking the interview seriously and that you lack a basic appreciation of the process.

You may not make it to the Chief if you show up with an open collar shirt and khaki's. No one ever lost the opportunity to be considered for a position because they were dressed professionally.

Now, your suit....

Since you will be in a business atmosphere, your suit should reflect professionalsim.

1. Make sure it fits properly.

2. The suit should be grey, dark blue or black. Brown or green is a casual color. Any other color may have looked good at your sister's wedding, but is inappropriate for an oral interview.

3. White shirt (not your FD uniform shirt) that fits and is pressed and is not missing buttons. No "Find 'em hot and leave 'em wet" T-shirts under your white shrt.

4. Your tie should match your suit. A striped tie (regiment style) or a discreet pattern is OK. Flowers, team logos, etc. are not business oriented.

5. Black shoes SHINED. Black belt. Socks that match the suit color.

6. Except for a watch and your wedding ring, leave the jewelry at home.

Look at it this way. Have you ever attended a concert given by a major orchestra? How were they dressed? They were probably dressed all in black. Why? Because their message is the music. They want to look professional, but do not want the concert-goers to be distracted from their message by the clothing they are wearing. You should look at it exactly the same way.

Free advice. I am not selling books, CD's, tapes or seminars. I have no website. I have no testimonials.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

OMG George,

I just put it together!! Your George Zimmer!! Right???
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-06-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Truthfully, that info came from 25 years of getting beat up by lawyers on how to appropriately dress for court. It is easy to apply that info to the job world.

Story about MW: Person that I am related to needs a suit. There is a sale, so he ends up buying two. When he comes out of the dressing room, salesperson has 10 shirts and 10 ties that they want him to buy. Says that he can barely afford the suits, so he politely declined. Salesperson says how about 5? Again, he politely declined. Long story short, this ends up with 3 salespeople berating him and insulting him about how cheap he was for not buying any shirts and ties. I would have left the suits right there and walked out. I probably also would have laid into these people (imagine that). This guy didn't. But I'll tell you what. HIs story made it so I will never shop in a MW again.

Forum Member

Sweeeeeet..........................
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Smile

May I add ~ personal grooming is important, on any interview. Hair and nails. Men often overlook their hands.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good luck...

This might sound over the top but this is something I did while I was testing.

Shave your head completely.

I did this for many reasons. It makes it harder for an oral board panel to stereotype or categorize you. For example if they think your hair looks messy or not combed how they would like it they might think you’re a messy unorganized candidate. On the other hand if your hair is very neat with gel they might think you’re some pretty boy or that you are too neat. Many departments that have post employment academies have there recruits shave there heads similar to the military. Since the fire department is paramilitary and your attempting to get the position as a Firefighter Recruit why not already look like one? I think it will be easier for the panel to envision you in the department.

Yes you need to wear a suit for everything. Anytime you submit an application in person wear a suit. Wear a suit for the written test, oral board, chief's board, and any time after that unless otherwise told not too. If they tell you to wear dress casual do not wear a suit. It will show your inability to follow simple directions. You might not realize it but the department might be making notes about you every time they interact with you. You are in the spotlight.

A lot of what George stated is all great things to follow. You want to look good but not stand out in a bad way. Wear grey or black suits that are professional cut for you. Wear simple white shirts, white undershirt, and basic ties without crazy patterns. I wouldn't wear that big red "power tie." Wear shiny black shoes and make sure you wear dress socks not your normal sneaker socks. I would stay away from wearing crazy cologne as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

What I've got to offer is not what to wear for the interview; GeorgeWendt has already covered that very nicely.

There's nothing worse than to shake a hand that is cold and clammy due to nerves. It's time to take control of the interview and spend a few minutes just before the interview to wash your hands in as hot water as you can stand. Be sure to towel dry them and have a good interview.

ps Make sure you zipper is closed.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

wow, one of the few times when George is right on the money.

well said, everything he said there is 100% on the money
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Wear a suit... if money is the issue you can find places that sell lightly used suits at stores designed to help people without great means of income to get a suit to get a job. Popular in college towns.

When I was leaving my oral board, I saw a guy next in line that was wearing kakis and a polo shirt. Needless to say he was not in our rookie class the next month.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

The folded hankie in the front pocket to dry your hand before your meeting is also another nice trick.

Also leave the ten-ton billfold and the 20 keys in the car. Carry your ID and your car keys only (you're not likely going be buying them lunch.)

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmnk View Post
    No one needs to buy videos, CD or books to know how to dress appropriately.

Permanently Removed

This is a BUSINESS INTERVIEW. Wear a nice suit. Not something old, funky or with your volunteer company's pin on it. NOTHING fire service related on the suit.

I once stoped a Candidate friend who was going in with an axe as a tie tack. Looked lame and too over the top. Needless to say, he didnt get the job.

Buy a nice suit now and keep it for future interviews, funeral, weddings, etc. Spend the good money now, dont go cheap.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Forum Member

Wow, all good information for any type of job interview. I especially like the idea of washing your hands with hot water, because I suffer from the cold handshake phenomenon..

I used to work as a automotive mechanic, and was always embarrassed about having greasy fingernails and stains in my hands as well. Extra time spent with a scrub brush works wonders.

Another thing that I worry about is my breath. I don't have a problem with bad breath, but it is something that I always think about before an interview or meeting with people. I try to stay away from peppermint and other colored candies that might cause my tongue to change color. Chewing gum helps clean the mouth, but be sure to spit it out before the interview.

I am surprised that nobody jokingly stated to wear full turn-outs with a fire glazed helmet and smokey goggles..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Permanently Removed

And how should you smell at an interview? Old Spice, Axe or Dapper Dan?

Answer- You should smell like soap. Seriously.

Forum Member

I'm sure this will get a laugh...BUT...It's not only breath that can offend. No bean burritos for breakfast.!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    I'm sure this will get a laugh...BUT...It's not only breath that can offend. No bean burritos for breakfast.!!!
    You mean no Chili Dogs from Biggies?

Speaking of hot dogs, is Boulevard Drinks still on the square?

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, wear a REAL suit. I went for the painted on tuxedo look. It rained and all of the paint washed off while walking in.

Forum Member

NOW he tells me.No wonder I didn't get on with Bartlett last year.Then again,it could have been the 600 folks trying for 12 jobs.
    You wouldn't wear the whacker tees when going to meet your prospective in laws,unless it was to play softball or go waterskiing.Dress like you are a mature adult who is looking for a respectable job,neat hair cut,clean hands and just a dab of cologne.No hands full of the stuff so that people are afraid to smoke around you.
    As to hair cuts,though my hair is cropped off to avoid having it blow in the wind,there are people that think shaved heads are a sign of racism.
    Let it grow to a manageble length if you have the time.You can always buzz it again after you get the letter telling you when to report for training.

Forum Member

Since it is not a suit that needs to last you through a typical work week over and over again, one little hint: It is better to spend the money on getting the suit well tailored to your body, than it is to spend the money on expensive material.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Since it is not a suit that needs to last you through a typical work week over and over again, one little hint: It is better to spend the money on getting the suit well tailored to your body, than it is to spend the money on expensive material.
    As long as it is not light blue polyester.

Forum Member

Posted by George
    You mean no Chili Dogs from Biggies?
    One word, my friends....

Beano!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW over a page on what to wear to an interview. Ignore what everyone has said. What does your common sense tell you to do? What were you thinking you should wear before you ever made this post? Go with that, because then you are thinking for yourself and therefore don't give false impressions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    WOW over a page on what to wear to an interview. Ignore what everyone has said. What does your common sense tell you to do? What were you thinking you should wear before you ever made this post? Go with that, because then you are thinking for yourself and therefore don't give false impressions.

I must disagree. I was on the hiring committee for new Teachers. I am a female (hence the forum name...LOL). A few of the females came in wearing lots of strong cologne, and no stockings. One had a dress that was more "cocktail" style. These are all no-no's for women. Unfortunately, first impressions do count for something.

Thread Information