WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Helmet Flashlights

I am in the market for a flashlight for me helmet. I am looking at either the streamlight LED with the flashlight helmet rubber band, or the Pelican steathlight LED with a flashlight helmet rubber band. If anyone has any opions or no any other good flashlights on the market please reply Thanks!

343 never forget

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got a 4a streamlight led flashlight that works great. But no matter which light you chose, I would go with a "BLACK JACK" light mount. They cost around $21.00 but they are the best on the market and are made to fit the most popular helmet flashlight models. For a picture of same you can look at the "BlackJack" thread or the "helmet picture" thread (next to last page) at my helmet.
    Stay safe and Ihope this helps.

Forum Member

Stick with the classic... go Garrity, goes well with a leather.

Or if you must buck the traditional, Garrity makes LED disposables too now.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

Garrity is the way to go. I just picked up a new led one for 8 bucks.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

I use the Pelican Steralthlite 2400 series 4AA. I have it attached to my N6A via a blackjack mounting bracket.

Permanently Removed

I am more of a "spendy" type of guy. I like to buy something once and have it last me for years.

With that in mind, I have had very good luck with both Pelican and Streamlight lights.

Pelican has replaced parts for me very fast and has an excellent lifetime warranty. I would go with them for a helmet light.

For a turnout coat 90 degree light, I like the Streamlight Survivor. It's thinner than the BigEd from Pelican.

Forum Member

They dont work, go buy a real light. www.alcorp.com

Default My 2 Cents

I dont have much expirience with fire, although I'm taking FF1 this summer, but from my expirience in EMS, my favorite lights are the surefire flashlights. I have used them for scene lighting in vehicle extrications multiple times, and they have served me very well.

Forum Member

The LED lights don't seem to have the light power than the halogen type when your in the smoke. I carry a Survivor on my flashlight hook on my coat and a Garrity on my helmet. The Survivor halogen seems to cut the smoke pretty good. If the Garrity goes dead or mellts its no big deal because they can be replaced for about $4. I also just bought a Streamlight Vulcan. I like the tail lights for search and rescue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    I am in the market for a flashlight for me helmet. I am looking at either the streamlight LED with the flashlight helmet rubber band, or the Pelican steathlight LED with a flashlight helmet rubber band. If anyone has any opions or no any other good flashlights on the market please reply Thanks!

343 never forget
    What kind of helmet is it? modern or trad? that usually makes the options smaller.
    I have used the UK 4AA model on my bullard trad. and that worked like a charm, plus it was desgned for underwater use, making it completely waterproof.
    For my leather helmet I have a garrity LED, because anything other than a garrity makes a leather look bad, IMO. The LED is bright, and works amazingly well.

my cents

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by lieut1sc View Post
    The Survivor halogen seems to cut the smoke pretty good.
    I got to back that, same here. My recharable Survivor coat light has basicly paid for itself. Tough, long lasting halogen light that cuts right through smoke.

I will keep this flashlight for life.

Forum Member

Garrity. I think the little lights poking off the sides of helmets look at tad bit wierd........but thats just me.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Garrity. I think the little lights poking off the sides of helmets look at tad bit wierd........but thats just me.
    It's hard to beat a $3 light that takes one hell of a beating before it quits.

Save the $ you'd spend on an expensive lid light and invest in a good right angle light for your coat. I've used many of them...They're all good lights. Which one is "best" becomes simply a matter of personal preference.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    It's hard to beat a $3 light that takes one hell of a beating before it quits.
    You got that right!!!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Permanently Removed

If you go with the cheap light, then you get what you pay for. And we will probably have to hear about in here when it burns out right at the wrong time.

Trust me, a good flashlight is an INVESTMENT that might just save your life or another person's. Spend the money, buy something good that will recharge and serve you the rest of your career. (or close to it)

After all, your turnouts, boot, helmet, SCBA are not the cheap $4 throw away, so why should the one tool thats gonna light your way out be?

I say just do it right the first time and be done with it.

Remember- Steamlight and Pelican BOTH have the LIFETIME warranty. The Garrity throw away junk doesnt after it melts.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

yeah I have a survior on my coat and its great. I hate garritys they look like garbage and are very cheap and don't work well. If i wanted a garity I would go to walmart and buy one....... but I am not going to waste my time sorry. I just purchased a black UK ligth for my Carines 880 Trad with the flashlight rubber band. And it works great! Thanks for your posts.

Forum Member

Thats why we also have a Litebox for every riding position.

(Granted this is only at drills) But I get off the truck, grab a portable, a litebox, and usually a set of irons (maybe a TNT tool or axe), turn on the garrity, and am good. This gives me two sources of light, one where I'm looking and one where I'm pointing the light at.

Like I said, just at drills.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    If you go with the cheap light, then you get what you pay for. And we will probably have to hear about in here when it burns out right at the wrong time.

Trust me, a good flashlight is an INVESTMENT that might just save your life or another person's. Spend the money, buy something good that will recharge and serve you the rest of your career. (or close to it)

After all, your turnouts, boot, helmet, SCBA are not the cheap $4 throw away, so why should the one tool thats gonna light your way out be?

I say just do it right the first time and be done with it.

Remember- Steamlight and Pelican BOTH have the LIFETIME warranty. The Garrity throw away junk doesnt after it melts.
    Do the Pelican and Streamlight have a higher melting temp than the Garrity does?

By the way Bou, I thought that YOUR helmets WERE the cheap $4 throw-a-way ones.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Do the Pelican and Streamlight have a higher melting temp than the Garrity does?

DAMN YOU 4949! I guess I gotta add new keyboard to the shopping list for tomorrow. The standard dell one doesnt stand up under a torrential downpour of Mt. Dew.

I must admit, when I was little, I thought that you West Coast guys were just wearing backwards hard hats.

Permanently Removed

1. Yes. Those Garrity junk are paper thin.

2. No, my helmet will out last your leather piece of junk anyway. And I dont need to bend it or keep re-painting it either.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-14-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    They dont work, go buy a real light. www.alcorp.com
    Those can't fit (comfortably) on a helmet.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Forum Member

For those interested........

Streamlight Survivor.......

***Virtually indestructible nylon casing has over 450 melting point ***

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6002.php

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    1. Yes. Those Garrity junk are paper thin.

2. No, my helmet will out last your leather piece of junk anyway. And I dont need to bend it or keep re-painting it either.
    Yeah, I guess your right. Your helmet most likely will outlast my leather. You see, I actually go INSIDE to put out fires!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

In another post I asked about the blackjack www.1445designs.com the thing kicks AZZ!!

So far its helped more because I dont worry about my light stays put and out of the way. Plus my light does not take a beating my helmet does.

SMK

Gone.

Yeah, I guess your right. Your helmet most likely will outlast my leather. You see, I actually go INSIDE to put out fires!
    Ohhhhhhh, burn.

Garrity LED on my helmets. Never had one take a **** on me yet, and I grab them for $4 at Wal-Mart or AutoZone. I'd rather have a $4 light melt and quit working than a $40-50 light.

Thread Information