Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default High School EMTs

I have been reading a lot of topics on this website regarding kids leaving school for fire/emergency calls. I found this link youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkEf2Wu9B4&feature=related

Pretty impressive.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it is great.
    I started as a responder with our village's Emergency Services when I was 17 and it would have been great to have a program like this to participate in.

http://www.post53.org/index.html

Sure it's impressive, but it's pretty sad that this town takes the students out of school to respond to something the paramedics should be doing.I can see this thread getting ugly prettttttttty quick.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

They get to drive the ambulances, WOW! from the video it looked like it was parked outside the school.

Would I like to do that?

HELL YA!

Would it ever happen?

HELL NO!

This may be the same group that I have an article about somewhere. The article is probably 20 yrs old and was given to me by an advisor. I'll have to try to find that.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

cool. they go through the exact same training as every other EMT in the state of Ct. yeah, they might be a little inexperienced (how much experience can you really have with less than 4 years on a rig?), but they get the job done.

88% of the students are on the high school honor roll list. my only question is what happens if an adult wants to join, are they rejected because they are too old?

They also run maybe 1300 runs a year, with a seemingly seasoned veteran as their director and advisor.

If they came to answer my 911 calls, I would treat them as I would treat any other volunteer EMS crew
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I am a Senior in High School and took FF1 the 1st half of the year, and tomorrow i start EMT class two nights a week, 4 hours a night for 5 months.

I think what they are doing is awesome. Its a great way to get your foot in the door. But leaving school to go on calls is wrong. Stay in school.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

It's nice that they found a system that works. They are obviously making up their missed school work. This is one good example which shows that these kids leaving school for emergency calls aren't hurting anything - in fact, it's saving lives.

I was reading, and they do allow adults to join and get their EMT-I85/99/P certifications whereas they only let the minors get EMT-B.

Hopefully this starts catching on to more areas.

Forum Member

Seems like they got a system that works for them.

I'm with RFRD...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    This is one good example which shows that these kids leaving school for emergency calls aren't hurting anything - in fact, it's saving lives.
    Although I agree this is impressive, I do not agree with these students leaving school to do what paid Paramedics should be. I do not agree with students leaving for any type of Emergency. They might not be hurting anything, but they are causing more work for everyone in the end,including themself. If they are lucky enough to have a decent teacher, the teacher will go over the work the student or students have missed while they were off playing medic. If the teacher is not so nice, they have to try and figure it out on their own or get the help of a friend which isn't always a good way to do things. If they run a lot of calls this could add up after a while causing, grades to slip and could potentially lead to them failing subjects. That would infact be hurting something, their future.

Keep this sort of stuff for after school, worry about getting an education first. When the day is done, they can be a medic all they want.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 01-06-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Man I wish my high school had this!

I had to go to night school my entire last semester of high school to get my EMT-B license.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

It's nice that they found a system that works. They are obviously making up their missed school work. This is one good example which shows that these kids leaving school for emergency calls aren't hurting anything - in fact, it's saving lives.

I was reading, and they do allow adults to join and get their EMT-I85/99/P certifications whereas they only let the minors get EMT-B.

Hopefully this starts catching on to more areas.

Can't really agree with you here. The program is fine if it were OUTSIDE of school. It really does go back to leaving school to answer the box, the difference here is that the kids can be used, doesn't make it right though. If a paramedic is responding also then there is no need to be pulling kids out of school.

The part I have an issue with with the above quote is the comment that the kids are making up their missed school work. However, right in the video provided it states that the 17y/o boy WANTED to get out of his QUIZ anyway. How is that making up school work? He gets an unfair advantage over his classmates because he already seen the quiz and has an opportunity to look up questions he wasn't sure of. He also has the opportunity to discuss the quiz with other members.

Either way, school is there for learning and kids should not be relied upon to leave school for anything less than a family emergency. If they want to utilize kids on weekends and after school, fine, there is no need to haul them out of school, regardless if they make up the work or not.

Forum Member

They didn't say a paramedic is there all the time, they said one is "available" probably in the sense that an ALS unit is responding in addition to there BLS ambulance core. Also the whole getting out of his test thing was just a another way to talk down about these kids and what they do. The whole thing reeked of ageism and insecurity towards these "kids performing adult responsibilities." Where are the adults I then ask?

Forum Member

1400 runs per year. That is enough for a paid service.

I disagree that these kids are out "playing medic." They are certified emergency medical technicians and should be treated as such. If they're mature/intelligent enough to pass EMT exams then they're more than capable of managing their own educations.

I'm sure the paramedics are very happy that they don't have to answer all of those BLS emergencies.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to invalidate your points because you do make very compelling points. My only true point here is that they seem to be capable of balancing school/work very well.

Who knows, I could be wrong.

Forum Member

Redfox, not sure if you were responding to me or what? I was the one to disagree with you, but I never stated the kids were "playing paramedic". I agree they are certified and could be used as such, but OUTSIDE of school, not while they are in class.

Also the video mentioned there is a paramedic riding out with them all the time, which to me, means that the medic and another should handle the EMS calls while the kids are in school and not be pulling kids from class. If a paramedic is going on the calls anyway, then they are still handeling all the BLS calls, so there is no difference for them to run on their own or pulling kids from class.

I agree that they could balance school and work well here, but this should be an extracurricular activity and not subjected to being pulled out of school. There are many students that balance work and school, sports, church, scouts, what have you. The difference is, is that they are not being pulled from class or in some ways given an unfair advantage to a test as the example mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Redfox, not sure if you were responding to me or what? I was the one to disagree with you, but I never stated the kids were "playing paramedic". I agree they are certified and could be used as such, but OUTSIDE of school, not while they are in class.

Also the video mentioned there is a paramedic riding out with them all the time, which to me, means that the medic and another should handle the EMS calls while the kids are in school and not be pulling kids from class. If a paramedic is going on the calls anyway, then they are still handeling all the BLS calls, so there is no difference for them to run on their own or pulling kids from class.

I agree that they could balance school and work well here, but this should be an extracurricular activity and not subjected to being pulled out of school. There are many students that balance work and school, sports, church, scouts, what have you. The difference is, is that they are not being pulled from class or in some ways given an unfair advantage to a test as the example mentioned above.
    No sir that was not directed to you. Someone a few posts above yours made that statement. I intended no insult or disrespect by that post.

I disagree that these kids are out "playing medic." They are certified emergency medical technicians and should be treated as such. If they're mature/intelligent enough to pass EMT exams then they're more than capable of managing their own educations.

I'm sure the paramedics are very happy that they don't have to answer all of those BLS emergencies.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to invalidate your points because you do make very compelling points. My only true point here is that they seem to be capable of balancing school/work very well.

Who knows, I could be wrong.

Ok maybe "playing medic" wasn't the proper term. I still however do not agree with them disrupting the class(I'm sure they have pagers or some other sort of alerting device) to run out to do something paid paramedics should be. Sure the run of the mill calls are a pain in the ***, I'm not going to deny it, but is it not what the paramedics are trained, and generally hired to do?? Maybe paramedics up here are different than there but that's what I always thought they did.

Sure they might be able to balance it out, but it still causes a lot of work on themselves and either the teacher or friend who has to show them the work. I guess I'm such a stickler on this topic because I left school for calls and to be brutally honest I regret it now. I wish I had of stayed in class instead of running off for that trouble breathing call or Flue Fire. 1400 calls works out to roughly four calls a day. That begins to take a toll I would think after a while.

I agree, as I said before, it is very impressive that they do this. But save it for after school and concentrate on getting an education first.

Ryan

Forum Member

According to the website, the only call for Stamford EMS medics when ALS is needed. Stamford is, to the best of my knowledge a regional EMS service based in the city. So the medic, it seems to me, isn't always coming.

I guess if they think they can manage their schedule than they should have the ability to participate. If I was to guess, the Post probably requires certain academic standards, as many fire explorer posts around here do. Parents to...
    I guess it all comes down to priorities.

Thread Information