Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Don't know about adverse effects from a pager tone.

My old station had the old air raid siren crack off 24/7 for calls. we lived across the back fence.

First oh-dark-thirty call, I was up, out and moving quickly when I hit the wall. Wife threw the lights on wetting herself laughing at the twat that turned right instead of left.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 37truck View Post
    Before the alert tone, the dispatch system trips a relay that opens up the speakers. It produces a "click" sound.
    Ours is pretty much the same - we get a beep and a click as the system trips, and then we get the radio traffic and/or the alert tone, which isn't bad at all. That half second of warning helps a lot.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Last shift we had eight calls after 10 PM. After three at night I usually just sit up in a chair and wait for them to come in. I find myself to be more tired if I keep falling asleep, and waking every twenty minutes or so.

MembersZone Subscriber

our tones are pretty quiet.
    but i usually wake up to them or the printer spinning before or bells and lights even come on.

Ian,my boy(doing the scholarly pose) has expressed a certain interest in your avatar--he seemed a bit bored by the video
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Back in the day...when we were mobilised by the old UK Home Office 'Teleprinter' the printer bell would ring...and wake you most of the time a good 10 seconds before the 'clunk' of the switch throwing the lights on then the fire bells.... back then at the Station I was at, sleep was never deep because an uninterrupted night was rare.

In 1990 we changed to a newer mobilising system, the old electric bells were removed and replaced by electronic bell sounds from a speaker... just as loud and because the modern printer did not need to cough and splutter into life the whole thing became instantaneous, often leaving me cramming my heart and stomach back down my throat as I got dressed.

It stayed like that up until I became a Chief and started responding from home overnight... But now, in London wth another new mobilising system (2004) the 'Bells' have gone, to be replaced by a sort of electronic trumpet tune... yep, that's right, then a nice female voice in 'Newsreader English' announcing who is going. I've never turned out to that because I became Chief in 2002, but have stayed at the Station once or twice after a very long day and found it didn't start me as much as the old bells.

i.e 10 seconds of this trumpet type tune then "Mobilise, Mobilise, Foxtrot 221 Foxtrot 221...Foxtrot 222, Foxtrot 222" Then it repeats by which time most people are on the trucks. (F221 & F222 for both pumps to turnout...if just one goes then 'she' announces only one callsign)

Now the pager...first mistake when I became chief...leaving it on vibrate on the side next to the bed.... the bleep bleep was fine... but the damn thing vibrating across the surface frightened the hell out of me...especially as I was in my own bed and had ever been 'turned out' of that apart from a middle of the night cry from the kids?

Now, I leave it on my belt...at the end of the bed so it wakes me gently. The good thing now is...after 15 years of being thrown onto the street with a full bladder and 'morning breath' at least for the last 6 years I get to go to the toilet, brush my teeth and dress at a slower pace before ringing Control for the incident details...
    Last edited by SteveDude; 01-07-2008 at 04:29 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

I'm a pretty deep sleeper so it will often take a lot to wake me up. Seriously, I have three alarm clocks that go off a different intervals in the morning for work. I've been known to turn one or two alarms off without actually waking up. For the FD, I actually had to make a station alert for my house. Partly to wake me up and partly because pager reception sucks.

When I do wake up, i'm usually really out of it. My fire radio will be alerting and I will be smashing my alarm clock trying to hit snooze. Yesterday my cell phone's alarm was going off and I really almost broke it trying to push the snooze button that doesn't exist.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thumbs down

We have the all the lights come on and the speaker is louder than hell all at once system, and as stated in the bathroom it makes you sh%t if you haven't already. Same speaker and volume in a room that is what 8x8? Stupid. All our houses were re-built over the last 5 years and I figured they would get a "friendlier" system, guess not! The other odd thing is we have 2 tones one for EMS and one for Fire calls. The EMS one is way louder then the Fire tone, so a tone for a patient assist call makes your bowels move, and we've had people sleeep thru a tone for a house fire. Nice.

A dept in the area has the low and slow tones at night, and the red lights in the bunk hall. They also have a system (so I hear) that you punch a button in the room at night, telling the system if you are on the ambo or engine, and the house has different tones for each truck and the tones in your room only go off if it's your truck! Nice! Me thinks the engine guys were behind that move lol.........
    Last edited by FHandz15; 01-07-2008 at 08:26 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

There has been some formal information and possibly legal action with regard to station alerting. Check with someone from Portland, ME FD. I'm pretty sure they successfully forced the City into installing ramped tones in their stations.

We had one FF go into A-FIB due to the loud buzzer Klaxon outside the dorm door. Now the dispatcher pre-announces the call over our radio freq that's piped in throughout the station then trips the buzzer. It is nicer, though not a perfect system by any means.

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    It stayed like that up until I became a Chief and started responding from home overnight... But now, in London wth another new mobilising system (2004) the 'Bells' have gone, to be replaced by a sort of electronic trumpet tune... yep, that's right, then a nice female voice in 'Newsreader English' announcing who is going. I've never turned out to that because I became Chief in 2002, but have stayed at the Station once or twice after a very long day and found it didn't start me as much as the old bells.

i.e 10 seconds of this trumpet type tune then "Mobilise, Mobilise, Foxtrot 221 Foxtrot 221...Foxtrot 222, Foxtrot 222" Then it repeats by which time most people are on the trucks. (F221 & F222 for both pumps to turnout...if just one goes then 'she' announces only one callsign)

Now the pager...first mistake when I became chief...leaving it on vibrate on the side next to the bed.... the bleep bleep was fine... but the damn thing vibrating across the surface frightened the hell out of me...especially as I was in my own bed and had ever been 'turned out' of that apart from a middle of the night cry from the kids?

Now, I leave it on my belt...at the end of the bed so it wakes me gently. The good thing now is...after 15 years of being thrown onto the street with a full bladder and 'morning breath' at least for the last 6 years I get to go to the toilet, brush my teeth and dress at a slower pace before ringing Control for the incident details...
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post
    Ian,my boy(doing the scholarly pose) has expressed a certain interest in your avatar--he seemed a bit bored by the video

To wake that bloke up would take a small nuke going off, a station siren wouldn't even make him flinch.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

We use in house Vocal Alarm system. Prior to any audible alerting tone, a dispatcher announces, "Companies, Stand by."

It kind of takes the edge off.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Most of the time unless in a dead sleep I'll wake on the first set of tones right before the pager breaks. It allows me to be awake somewhat and have a chance to turn it down before it gives me the hells broken loose signal. But I am relatively used to it now, just gets the adrenaline flowing, especially when there are mutiple departments tones following yours.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Usually the pager goes Beep Beep Beep...and i go "huh, whats that" then realize someone musta called 911, roll outta bed...put on my pants and shirt, just to realize I have to peepee, so i stumble into the bathroom, to undo those pants i just did up, make my water, and walk outside, just to realize its colder out than i thought so i turn around and get that sweatshirt or jacket, and go out to my truck and head to the station...good thing i keep my keys IN my truck...get to the station, and wake up just enough to answer the call and write the address on the board...I think im doin pretty good to do all that before i even realize I am awake...and to think someone wants a study to see what kind of effect just the beep beep beep has...I would be more interested in a study to find out HOW we do that at those hours...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    ...leaving it on vibrate on the side next to the bed.... the bleep bleep was fine... but the damn thing vibrating across the surface frightened the hell out of me...
    Thank the gods for that! I thought it was only me that just about wet himself when the pager started gyrating all over the glass top bedside table! Never left it on silent again!
    I selected the gentlest tone I could for the pager - still makes me jump though. And then trying to read the bloody thing with eyes that won't open/focus...

And Steve, what's all this 'Chief' stuff? I didn't know you pommies used yank ranks?

Forum Member

Default Maybe this will help

I think that there was some type of study or research being done by the Mesa (AZ) FD and Arizona State University on the negative effects and wear and tear on FFs and high level of call volume. Maybe they are also looking into the initial physical responses of tones and lights and waking members up from a deep sleep. You can try to contact someone at Mesa FD admin and maybe they would know more or who to contact. E-mail me if you can't make any progress, and maybe I could find something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    Yup,
    That's the one... but because the guy pressed the manual mobilise button in the Watchroom (as you would wit a running call off the street) it didn't announce the callsigns attending as it would with a regualr call.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 01-08-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by volfirie View Post
    And Steve, what's all this 'Chief' stuff? I didn't know you pommies used yank ranks?
    We don't...just adjusting my language for the majority of Forum users... saves explaining what an Assistant Divisional Officer/ Station Commander/Station manager is.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 01-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

We are paid on call...but 2 of our stations have college live-ins. Both stations have a base radio that has speakers throughout the station. The live-ins in my station have also hooked up a pager with amplified charger, but using an external speaker to wake them up. A few of them are heavy sleepers! 9.9 times out of 10 our dispatchers give a "Williamson County Fire Call" pre-alert. Our tone is a solid low tone...so it's not too bad. However, the pager they are using does a long solid high beep rather than multiple beeps. I was glad to get my new pager and get rid of the solid beep, it was annoying when you were awake!
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

I remember reading an article about either the City of Las Vegas or else it was Clark County (NV) Fire Rescue that had done studies on the effects of blasting their members out of bed at 3 AM. It detailed a variety of measures they undertook to ensure their FF's were able to sleep soundly while still rousing them quickly without causing a mild heart attack. Some of those measures included:

*Blue lighting in the hallway - maintained your night vision better when
    hitting the head (like anyone can aim at 3 AM anyway )

*Alert tones that started low & increased in frequency (volume)

*A female dispatcher handling overnight alarms as a female's voice was
    supposed to be more soothing

It was a novel approach...it sounds like they did their homework and we're genuinely looking out for their guys. Many of the career depts. out west seem dedicated to keeping their FF's healthy & do things like this. I honestly don't know what the end results have been, maybe someone from that region can share their 2 cents.

Kinda cool the way the London boys gets alerted...it seems very refined..here in the US, the simple...GET OUT...ENGINE & TRUCK GOES!!! seems to work pretty well.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

Thread Information