Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MembersZone Subscriber

*A female dispatcher handling overnight alarms as a female's voice was supposed to be more soothing
    Most of the time, I got my nioght jobs by telephone from the county communications center. There was one female operator (our families were friends, so we knew each other pretty well) who had a tremendous voice. She would call me and say something like "Hey sexy, what are you wearing?" She would then slowly coax me out of my sleep.

Now THAT is the way to get oned out.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Our station's tones have a "pre-tone" at low volume, the main tone turns on the lights and speakers.

I usually say "oh,crap", listen, and if I don't have to respond, roll back over and go back to sleep!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I'm a junior with Station 54 here in NC, Rowan County, and Rowan uses a bit of a DIFFERENT tone system, one that'll, BELIEVE ME, scare the crap out of you. It's a computer generated system that blends QC-II and QC-I style tones, and if you're awake, oh that's good and dandy, but when you're asleep and you get a call with multiple stations, boy will you JUMP. Case and point, I was asleep about a month ago(My dept isn't called out too often), and a call comes in for a fire alarm at a Taxidermy Supply warehouse(False alarm thankfully. And by the by, I'm not able to respond yet, I have a scanner, she's a old Regency ACT R-10, and quite deafening! Sure competes with a minitor well.), with stations 57, 71, 76, 64, 59, 60, and 54, our tone came about middle, ours is similar to 41's, a moderate primary QC-II tone then a high pitched secondary QC-II tone, then our QC-I tone comes(Same order for all stations in the county except for 79 and 46 who seem to only have QC-II tones), which from browsing round on the net, seems to be the same as LA County Station 39's(You can find this for those who don't know on lacountyfire.org). My mind gets semi-alert by the tones of 57, 71, 76, 64, and then gets snapped awake by the QC-II tone for our station, which I've come to memorize. Believe me, it gets your heart going, and even then I wasn't responding but I shot out of bed anway! Personally though I think Rowan could do with a better system. The ONLY warning you get is if there's previous radio traffic and the dispatcher will say "All units, hold your traffic, emergency dispatch." and then there's the dispatch but that's the only warning you get really.

Forum Member

We get a single beep (alert tone), box #, (station tones) list of apparartus to respond, box number again, then the description of the call. The tones trigger a klaxon outside the bunkroom door.

Any of our first due boxes would wake me up when on the initial box number as if someone were calling out my name. I'd sleep through the rest. Funny how the mind works. From the sound of some other feet hitting the floor, it worked that way for others as well. Others weren't jolted awake until the whooper went off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Studies I am aware of...

Heart rate and ECG responses of fire fighters.
    "Data were obtained from 35 fire fighters responding to 189 alarms. Fifteen to 30 sec after an alarm heart rate showed a mean increase of 47 beats/min (range 12-117 beats/min). Approximately one minute after the alarm, while on the truck, heart rate still showed a mean increase of 30 beats/min (range 1 to 80 beats/min) above that recorded before alarm. S-T segment changes were observed in the ECG shortly after the alarm sounded. Upon approaching a fire, heart rates as high as 150 beats/min were observed before the men got off the fire truck. During actual fire fighting extremely high heart rates were observed for prolonged periods of time. One fire fighter had a mean heart rate of 188 beats/min for 15 minutes during the initial stages of a structure fire. The heart rate responses observed immediately after the alarm as well as on the truck approaching a fire indicate that the men experience a state of high anxiety. The extremely high heart rates observed for prolonged periods during fire fighting may also indicate a state of high anxiety coupled with the heavy work performed in a hot environment. Repeated exposure to states of high anxiety as well as inhaling pollutants related to the high incidence of ischemic-stress tests previously observed in fire fighters."
    Journal of Occupational Medicine, 1975

Firefighters' reaction to alarm, an ECG and heart rate study.
    "Firemen's reaction to alarm was investigated with a pulse rate and ECG analysis. The frame of reference was the psychophysiological alarm reaction and its relation to psychosomatic diseases. ECG and pulse rate measurements were recorded continuously from 22 first-string firemen. According to an exercise stress test, the subjects were healthy, but not more fit than a sedentary population. High pulse rates occurred during the alarm due to vigorous movement to the trucks. No anticipatory pulse rate rise occurred as the firemen approached the fire. Non-pathological ECG deviations were found 13 subjects although no abnormalities were found in the same subjects during exercise test. Different firefighting practices, environment, selection, and training might explain the differences between the findings of the present investigation and those of other recent studies."
    Journal of Occupational Medicine, 1981

The 1981 study was referenced in a NIOSH alert, "Preventing Fire Fighter Fatalities Due to Heart Attacks and Other Sudden Cardiovascular Events" from June 2007.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

There is currently a study going on in Indianapolis with IFD by Indiana University that is collecting data on night time alarm tones are part of the study.

Here is a link to a New story on it.

http://www.iub.edu/~firefit/img/fox59.wmv

The dispatch centre I work in dispatches for 2 cities and a large volunteer area in one huge region. One city just gets the automatic tones, the second city we do a voice pre-alert, and the third area is volunteer, so they're paged out.

I almost feel like HAL 9000 when I do the voice pre-alert..."Dave, Dave"...

I wonder if anyone has done a study of dispatchers and our stress reactions when the phones go off in the middle of the night. Not that we sleep, oh no, we never sleep, we're alert and awake and ready to rumble!!

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Lately it seems my body has decided not to respond to the station package... but usually waits for my engineer to kick my bed and say "Cap, we got a call".

Our alert never really caused me too much stress, and I sleep under a speaker... I usually just looked up to make sure the "E" was lit up before getting out of bed and on the engine. Oddly, Certain address seem to cause a simultaneous "DAMN IT" response in the entire crew (except the new guys) while other address and apartment #s cause a "You have got to effing kidding me... again!?!?!" response.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

Thread Information