Forum Member

Default accusations of age discrimination

Not to make too long of a story here...but.

Is it age discrimination to joke about a senior member retiring? Is this joking considered different coming from peers or superiors?

Just trying to figure out some stuff.

Forum Member

One thing I learned in the touchy-feely classes I had to sit through, vs doing fire training, is that it comes down to personal perspective. Frankly is it discrimination because there are folks joking around? No. If you are offended by the joking, say something, otherwise how would it stop? Don't claim discrimination if nobody knows your are sensitive to it, if the jokes persist after stating your perspective, then that can be taken as discrimination.
    However, if one is just senior and still gets the job done, then it is their perogative when they retire.

The biggest problem out there with discrimination claims and so forth is that those offended rarely say something to others and just go and complain. There are some definate discrimitory issues out there, but for the most part the majority of cases would be solved if the matter is brought to the attention of the offenders in the first place. Is it right for some to believe they are joking around only to find themselves in the office for discrimination because the offended never said anything to them? Just seems easier today to make a complaint vs actually saying something.

Forum Member

Discriminate: to make a a difference in treatment or favor on a basis other than individual merit (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary).

In my opinion (and I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on T.V.) to discriminate against someone you'd have to deny them something due to their age, race, gender, or some other physical feature or social class. I don't think what you're describing qualifies (once again, my opinion only).

Harassment...well, I don't know.

Thread Information