Local Fire In The News
I received the page for this one around midnight last night, and the subsequent pages for additional units (volunteer) to go in service for additional coverage. I post it because of one particular note in the text about built in sprinklers.
20 Displaced, Apartments Damaged In Centreville Fire. Damages Estimated At $750,000
POSTED: 6:28 am EST January 7, 2008
UPDATED: 11:37 am EST January 7, 2008
CENTREVILLE, Va. -- Fire investigators said that about 20 people have been displaced after an overnight fire in Fairfax County.
The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. inside a three-level garden-style apartment in the 14400 block of Newton Patent Court in Centreville.
Related Content: Watch The Report
Slideshow: Images From Scene
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the rear and side of the four-story apartment building.
Firefighters attacked the fire near a top floor balcony, attic, and roof area. A second alarm was struck and approximately 60 firefighters fought the fire. Smoke alarms provided early warning for residents of the 14-unit apartment building. The fire was brought under control in approximately 40 minutes.
No injuries were reported. Officials said the building had residential sprinklers.
Officials said at least six apartments were damaged. Damage is estimated at $750,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Discarded fireplace ashes in a cardboard box on a balcony caused the fire. :(
Fire officials are using this opportunity to remind residents about the importance of discarding ashes properly, News4's Tracee Wilkins reported.
"Under no circumstances should anybody put fireplace ashes in anything but a metal container, and never put them in a place like your wooden deck or in the garage. Set them away from the building in a sealed container so that they're properly extinguished," said Dep. Chief Jeff Coffman.
The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents.
Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com.
You know someone (Joe Public) is going to say something about the fire sprinklers and how they "didn't work"... :rolleyes:
Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
Truly amazes me that there are that many dumb people still around (then again I used to work on Capitol Hill so nothing should amaze me :D ) -- ashes in a cardboard box? :confused:
Reminds me of the time I was riding along with a dept. in CT and they got called out to either a CO or smoke alarm at a complex (probably smoke since CO alarms were still sort of new in the early 90's). Turns out the guy was BBQing INSIDE. But when the alarm went off, he panicked so he put the BBQ in the closet. Fortunately nothing happened but things could have been a lot worse.
Diane, did you give the BBQer a "Darwin Award"?? :D
Rick, I've been to more than a couple of those, in fact 2 or 3 a year seems about right. We were able to get legislation passed to require sprinklers in all structures, back in '91 or 92. But I still have the reality check of going on the scene with Fire showing from a sprinklered structure...... A job last Summer involved a Fire on a Deck on the rear of a 2.5 story Single Family. Responding apparatus advised of a large smoke column while still a mile out. Fire on the deck went up the exterior wall, thru the soffitt, and totally destroyed the attic area and roof. And yes, "Hot Ashes" are good for a couple of jobs every winter. People put ashes in the most unusual containers, cardboard boxes, paper bags, bushel baskets, plastic buckets,............ The list is quite long.... :eek: :eek: