1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

    Default Local Fire In The News

    I received the page for this one around midnight last night, and the subsequent pages for additional units (volunteer) to go in service for additional coverage. I post it because of one particular note in the text about built in sprinklers.

    20 Displaced, Apartments Damaged In Centreville Fire. Damages Estimated At $750,000

    POSTED: 6:28 am EST January 7, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:37 am EST January 7, 2008

    CENTREVILLE, Va. -- Fire investigators said that about 20 people have been displaced after an overnight fire in Fairfax County.

    The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. inside a three-level garden-style apartment in the 14400 block of Newton Patent Court in Centreville.

    Related Content: Watch The Report
    Slideshow: Images From Scene

    When firefighters arrived at the scene, they encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the rear and side of the four-story apartment building.

    Firefighters attacked the fire near a top floor balcony, attic, and roof area. A second alarm was struck and approximately 60 firefighters fought the fire. Smoke alarms provided early warning for residents of the 14-unit apartment building. The fire was brought under control in approximately 40 minutes.

    No injuries were reported. Officials said the building had residential sprinklers.

    Officials said at least six apartments were damaged. Damage is estimated at $750,000.

    According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Discarded fireplace ashes in a cardboard box on a balcony caused the fire.

    Fire officials are using this opportunity to remind residents about the importance of discarding ashes properly, News4's Tracee Wilkins reported.

    "Under no circumstances should anybody put fireplace ashes in anything but a metal container, and never put them in a place like your wooden deck or in the garage. Set them away from the building in a sealed container so that they're properly extinguished," said Dep. Chief Jeff Coffman.

    The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents.

    Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Diane E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)


    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Discarded fireplace ashes in a cardboard box on a balcony caused the fire.
    You know someone (Joe Public) is going to say something about the fire sprinklers and how they "didn't work"...

    Truly amazes me that there are that many dumb people still around (then again I used to work on Capitol Hill so nothing should amaze me ) -- ashes in a cardboard box?

    Reminds me of the time I was riding along with a dept. in CT and they got called out to either a CO or smoke alarm at a complex (probably smoke since CO alarms were still sort of new in the early 90's). Turns out the guy was BBQing INSIDE. But when the alarm went off, he panicked so he put the BBQ in the closet. Fortunately nothing happened but things could have been a lot worse.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

  3. #3
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

    Exclamation Yep.............

    Diane, did you give the BBQer a "Darwin Award"??

    Rick, I've been to more than a couple of those, in fact 2 or 3 a year seems about right. We were able to get legislation passed to require sprinklers in all structures, back in '91 or 92. But I still have the reality check of going on the scene with Fire showing from a sprinklered structure...... A job last Summer involved a Fire on a Deck on the rear of a 2.5 story Single Family. Responding apparatus advised of a large smoke column while still a mile out. Fire on the deck went up the exterior wall, thru the soffitt, and totally destroyed the attic area and roof. And yes, "Hot Ashes" are good for a couple of jobs every winter. People put ashes in the most unusual containers, cardboard boxes, paper bags, bushel baskets, plastic buckets,............ The list is quite long....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Not Local News...you probably won't even know.
    By SteveDude in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
  2. Dc And Area Local News
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2006, 08:12 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 01:02 PM
  4. Local News has Green Beret Poll Please vote
    By E229Lt in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 10:47 AM
  5. Lancaster LODD Local News Articles
    By Dalmatian90 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register