Thread: "300" workout

MembersZone Subscriber

Default "300" workout

I'm a huge fan of the "300" workout. Its quick, Its intense, and it makes me feel like I just finished High School football practice. My question for the trainers is; When performing the workout is it better to complete all reps or maintain the weight for that set? (i.e 50 dead lifts at 115lbs, or 30 at 135lbs)
    What are the thoughts and feelings

Forum Member

Sounds like an interesting workout. Where can we find out more about it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I read about it in men health approximatley 6 months ago, you can google it and link to the mens health site. The actors in the movie the 300 used it, it is pretty popular

Forum Member

Thanks! I'll check it out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default workouts

I focus on form over weight. Once you get to a point of failure you then begin to compensate and use other muscle groups to perform the reps. I have my guys choose a weight that they can do X # of reps per set.

The workouts your looking for AG is done throught Cross Fit. A great way to workout if you are in decent shape with no injury issues. It is very fun and very intense.

It's important to remember that this workout was performed once only by the actors and stunt crew, as a 'rite of passage' workout. But their training resembled this type of thing. Check out Crossfit.com as was mentioned, as well as gymjones.com, they are the guys who trained the cast and came up with the workout.

Daz

Forum Member

Default awesome

tried the 300 today it was a great workout, I usually do crossfit and is a lot like their format but something different is always nice, I don't know how you are supposed to do the workout, but I used the weight suggested and when I got fatigued I would put it down do a short recovery and then get right back at it, "rest is for the weak" keep workin hard and stay safe

Forum Member

The workout you are referring to was only performed once by the actors solely for the purpose of testing their physical performance after weeks of working out in preparation for the film. This workout was not designed to be performed on a regular basis, it would be like performing the CPAT on a regular basis as your workout routine, yes it is physically demanding but it is merely a test and not designed to get someone in shape

Forum Member

Default 300

Another web site along the same theme is: http://mtnathlete.com
    They post the workouts daily.
    As far as your original question about the reps and weights: You are stressing differnet systems with hig reps/lighter wts. vs. lower reps (10 and under)/hevier wts. Mixing it up is a good aproach to fire fighter fitness. Sometimes we need max strength for a few repitions or a short amount of time (you are trying to move a large section of charged 2 1/2 by yourself). Other situations require your effort to last for many minutes and even hours. The higher reps/lighter wts. will help you in these situations. Including both (heavy deadlift/higher wt. and light deadlift/higher reps) will make you fit over a larger spectrum.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bolt109 View Post
    tried the 300 today it was a great workout, I usually do crossfit and is a lot like their format but something different is always nice, I don't know how you are supposed to do the workout, but I used the weight suggested and when I got fatigued I would put it down do a short recovery and then get right back at it, "rest is for the weak" keep workin hard and stay safe
    300... crossfit... oh god...

All you need is SQUATZ, DEADZ, OATZ, and EGGZ!!

Thread Information