Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Shamrock26; 01-09-2008 at 06:59 PM.

If all you are joining the Reserves or Guard is for the training "to be a city firefighter in the future" then I humbly suggest that you re-evaluate your strategy.

The military (Reserves, Guard or Active Duty) will require a commitment and dedication on your part. Nobody owes you anything.

For further info see : http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=96603
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock26 View Post
    Whats up everyone,

I am brand new here. Did some searching because right now I am trying to decide on whether to go to the Air Force Reserves, Air Force, or Air National Guard. I also want to be a firefighter in there, so I can get some great training to be a city firefighter in the future. I would prefer to do work on a base close to home so I can stay close to my fiance and the rest of my family. I think I can do this with the Guard, but is it possible with the AF reserves? Any info on both regarding commitments, work info, etc. and some advice would be awesome. Thank you!

Also any advice on the Army Firefighting would be great too! thanks!
    This is getting sickening.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Not much of a chance for you getting a firefighter position in the military. I think that you need to start working on plan "B"!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Well for the Army It depends on few of things.
    1. If you can get a slot I think we are full
    2.I think it is a 5 year enlistment for first timers because of it being low priority MOS.
    3. Duty station. Army firefighters aren't station on every Army post. Most of your smaller post have DOD civilian.
    4. Once you get out you better have a good game plan on finding a job. There are a lot of others you have to compete against.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Not much of a chance for you getting a firefighter position in the military. I think that you need to start working on plan "B"!
    just wondering if this is first hand knowledgy you're basing this on, i got one rather easisy, i was very qualified to grab one but it was a guaranteed job in the guard

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Army Guard

If you wana go firefighter for the military, your best bet is going air guard or army guard. The army guard is in high demand right now for firefighters, due to the new contract for agr over in Iraq. Itís really hard to get a slot in Active duty but if you do don't count on getting assigned to a base for firefighting. I have four buddies that I went to the academy with that are now counting ammunition over in Germany. I think that if you want to pursue a firefighting career in the civilian world the military is a very good way to go, especially if you go firefighter. Because you will get some experience that no one as a firefighter will get. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Gaefcke,
    662nd FFT DET.
    Sparta IL,

Forum Member

Default Go AF Reserves or Air Guard

I would go with the Air Guard if you can get in, my dept is always closed due to high numbers that want to join. A little back ground, I joined the Marines to be a firefighter and ended up with another job on active duty, recently I got out of active duty after my time was up and joined the Air Guard. The Airforce owns the fire academy so it is the best bet to go with them. Good luck however you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 104thJake View Post
    just wondering if this is first hand knowledgy you're basing this on, i got one rather easisy, i was very qualified to grab one but it was a guaranteed job in the guard

Well there you go............................ .............................. .............................. ......................Now if he can do it, anyone can!!!!!!!!

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Firenut where are you basing this info from?

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    Firenut where are you basing this info from?
    he may have meant Active duty Air Force.. AD Air Force is cutting their firefighter slots...

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a Team Chief with a Army Reserve Unit in Mass. if anyone in new england is looking to get in to the Army reserve's as a firefighter contact me at albert.trombetta@us.army.mil

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaefcke View Post
    If you wana go firefighter for the military, your best bet is going air guard or army guard. The army guard is in high demand right now for firefighters, due to the new contract for agr over in Iraq. Itís really hard to get a slot in Active duty but if you do don't count on getting assigned to a base for firefighting. I have four buddies that I went to the academy with that are now counting ammunition over in Germany. I think that if you want to pursue a firefighting career in the civilian world the military is a very good way to go, especially if you go firefighter. Because you will get some experience that no one as a firefighter will get. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Gaefcke,
    662nd FFT DET.
    Sparta IL,
    I am not here to start any thing. It is unfortunate that the one's in Germany are counting ammo. They need to look at AR. 420-90. All of my guys are working on the floor with the DOD civilians here at Fort Lewis Wa.

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    he may have meant Active duty Air Force.. AD Air Force is cutting their firefighter slots...

-Damien
    Yes they are.....The AF Reserves are also downsizing their firefighters. It's the all so popular..."Doing more with less" syndrome.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Army is not cutting slots but double sloting to pick up what the air force is cutting

MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder if I could go back to the Army?? The only caveot would be to get new leadership in my old unit. Something about waivers for guys who just got thier FFI and have rank...so that's makes them the Deputy!! Kind of BS if you ask me!!

I love my AF job effective 2010.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Quote Originally Posted by FFtrombetta70 View Post
    I am a Team Chief with a Army Reserve Unit in Mass. if anyone in new england is looking to get in to the Army reserve's as a firefighter contact me at albert.trombetta@us.army.mil
    gotta love that $2000 bonus per successful recruitment.

-Damien

Thread Information