Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm a volly at a combo department. I live 3.5 miles from the station with a killer stop light I can't avoid, not to mention "our driver" lives 200 yards from the station. Needless to say, I never make a truck. I still go to as many calls and classes as I can, I've bought parts of my own gear (helmet, boots, ect.), and I'm not going to stop volunteering. I do wish though, I could get a little help with fuel. I'm not in it for the money, I like doing what I'm doing, but with gas prices at $3.26 a gallon (and rising), $5-7 dollars a call would really help our members be able to afford actually responding. I understand the meaning of "Volunteer" but with the cost of living being so high, how much longer is the strictly "Volunteer" lifestyle going to survive?

MembersZone Subscriber

I got kind of lost in the bickering over whether there should be "rewards programs" so someone may have already posted this. Our department is looking into a points/rewards system. And there would be a minimum point requirement to stay in the department as an active member (if you only want to show up for the "serious calls" you can hand out drinks with the rest of the auxilary). Any points above and beyond that minimum get banked and once or twice a year those points will be given a dollar value and the members can basically go on a fire related shopping spree and the department will pay for it up to the dollar value of their points. So lets say you've been eyeing a new flashlight for your helmet or a new radio strap or you want to add to the 200 lbs tool box in your bunker pants. And for the ones with high points maybe that leather helmet you've wanted doesn't seem so far out of your price range when the department is footing $300 worth of the bill. In a department that only runs a 1000 calls a year there is really no need for a cap, but if you're running 2 or 3,000 a year yes a limit would probably be needed.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by rescuedawg View Post
    We use a LOSAP pension fund. After 65 you get 20 per month for every year of active service and you can continue to add years even after you start collecting.Our other top responders also get the first shot at going to Fire or EMS expos out of state.
    Yeah, we also use the LOSAP system. I started my first year this year and I've already got all of my points, which I only found out about the whole system Monday night.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Default $$

As Fire Commissioner I'm looking for a way to compensate our Volunteers. I've asked if they wanted more money per run and their response was no!! They wanted fire gear...i.e. spanner wrenches, flashlights etc.....Any suggestions???

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Fire Commissioner District#2
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    As Fire Commissioner I'm looking for a way to compensate our Volunteers. I've asked if they wanted more money per run and their response was no!! They wanted fire gear...i.e. spanner wrenches, flashlights etc.....Any suggestions???

Respectfully,
    I wish we could get something like that.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

MembersZone Subscriber

Respectfully,
    See my previous post.
    I live to train so you can train to live.

Default Point taken

Thanks...Being from a larger department and not having volunteers I was shocked when they said they were not in it for the money. Points are nice but with the price of gasoline now days isn't money more of a reward?? We have a Commissioners meeting today and will be discussing this very issue and will mention the replies I've received.

Thanks,
    Jay Dudley, Fire Commissioner
    District#2
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

JayDudley,

Even if my department paid for my gas, as much as that would be appreciated, if I was doing it for the money, I go get another job. I'd much rather get a good handlight or something to make my volunteering more enjoyable.

That's just me. One of the department's around here pays minimum wage to guys for fire calls. There's a whole lot of stuff that's less work I can do for more than minimum wage...
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great responses. I think that the overall majority of our Volunteers have said they would like gear. They are not doing it for the $$'s Some have even said that they would pay for the experience and training. But we all know that will not happen. I'm just glad to have those individuals show up to our responses.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Fire Commissioner
    District #2
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Interesting thread! Volunteers here get nothing. Individual Stations may subsidise the annual dinner - in our case that comes from profits taken on selling cans of soft drink at reduced prices!

There have been a few posts on tracking performance. That we do. Members are required (Brigade Standing Orders) to meet a percentage of meetings, training and turnouts. 50% of the first two. For turnouts, we've divided the week into three parts -

'DAY' which is 7am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
    'NIGHT' which is 5pm to 7am Monday evening to Friday morning.
    'WEEKEND' which is 5pm Friday to 7am Monday.

One of those periods is removed for each member, eg DAY for those who work days, NIGHT for those who work nights. Members are required to respond to a percentage of the other two time slots. This was done because to simply run all calls together disadvantages most members. For instance, I'm the leading member for turnouts (222 out of 279 for 2007), training and meetings. Does that make me the super-member? No it's because I'm available - I don't work and I live alone, very different situation to most people. So any 'straight' award system would favour me.

The point of my post? Perhaps our system of recording calls could work for others.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Why not both?

Forum Member

As i understand i think you can deduct the things, like the mileage it takes you to respond to a call, your flashlight, mask, dash light, or anything else you pay for out of your pocket toward fire related things from your taxes each year. Seems like it would add up to alot. But a little for gas would be a nice thing.

Thread Information