Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 618 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

calm i guess you figure that the more people you try to discourage the better your chances of getting on?...definately not the case with me.....take your nonsence to another thread

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    calm i guess you figure that the more people you try to discourage the better your chances of getting on?...definately not the case with me.....take your nonsence to another thread

Be careful what you say my man. CalmB4storm has like 20-25 yrs on the job I think. He's only on here to push you along and help....

Forum Member

Calm is already on the job. listen to his advice. listen to it well. he helps out a lot.

Also, I went in for paperwork on the 27th. anyone know when we get the letter for the medical? about 1 month?

Say whaaaa???

Forum Member

ive got to be honest...im a bit over weight and i need to lose like 25 lbs or so..... ive been dieting like crazy and only drinking water ,and lots of it...i know this may sound bad but im on the atkins diet for now...atleast util i get called for the med and pass it (hopefully) but i got to do what i got to do ...ive already dropped like 7 lbs in a week so its definatley helping me out bye doing that diet ontop of running and hitting those stairs....ive never sweat this much in my entire life ...thanks for all the info and good luck to you..where are you on the list ?
    Listen bro,

I'm in the academy now and lost much more weight than you are talking about to get on the job so I know what that story is all about. Getting by the doctors at the medical for being overweight is just the tip of the iceberg.
    It is 100% impossible to get through the academy if your body is not ready to handle the punishment it's going to be subjected to. My advice to you is set the 25lb goal for the doc and then lose 15 more before you start in December. Overweight and fit is one story but trying to use the academy to round your body into shape is not possible.
    There is zero time allotted in the first 6 weeks or so to allow your body to recover. And don't try use the stairmaster or the CPAT as a gauge either, I have seen guys go down in the middle of the FST course that dominated the stairs and did 7 min CPAT's.

Good luck on the weight and train hard... best job in the world
    Last edited by fdny2b; 08-31-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

Default Breathing Technique....

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    Mon Wed and Fri i practiced on the stepmill with the 50lb vest for 30 minutes each time, doing 60 steps per minute. Tue Thurs and Sat I would run. normally tues and thurs i would run longer distances at a slower pace (9min mile about) and i would just concentrate on my breathing, making sure i wasn't out of breath at all while i was running. Then on saturday I would run a faster mile at about a 7 minute pace and then I would slow up and circumvent about 10-20 hundred meter sprints in between my running. biggest thing is you need to concentrate on your breathing always. when doing stairs take in long, deep breaths and exhale slowly as well. there were guys at my medical that looked to be in as good of shape as me or better and they were failing. only 4 of us passed the first time. i'm positive the only thing that saved my *** was my breathing technique.

Hey Johhnyboy....

Can you help explain what this "breathing technique" is....I've been doin tons of stairmaster vest training and sprints to help get my heart rate down, but i'm assuming working on my breathing could help as well......Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter82 View Post
    Hey Johhnyboy....

Can you help explain what this "breathing technique" is....I've been doin tons of stairmaster vest training and sprints to help get my heart rate down, but i'm assuming working on my breathing could help as well......Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Basically you need to be taking in really deep breaths, slowly, holding it in before you exhale and you should be exhaling slow, controlling the airflow not just letting the air rush out of your lungs. Keep your inhaling and exhaling in a rhythm, some people count in their head or if you're running people count the amount of steps for each breathe, etc.

You want to continue to control your breathing the entire time you are running/climbing steps you should never be huffing and puffing, controlled long breaths, hold it in, control it on the way out. The better you control your breath the lower your HR should be.

As you go longer into your workout you will have to adjust how deep you're inhaling and how long you're holding it in, especially if you're doing sprints or any kind of intervals.

Once you get this down you can even try to kind of push your stomach out when you breathe in, suppose to give your lungs more room to expand. Hope that helps, good luck.

Forum Member

Seriously, have you read any of this thread?

Forum Member

Gettingready - you might want to seriously heed some of this advice. First off, Calm is an instructor at The Rock and is probably in more of a position to dispense advice than anyone on this board.

Secondly, listen to what the others (and myself) are saying about academy. If you aren't in good enough shape, you'll be in absolute hell. It is NOT the place to try to get into shape.

Your body will fail you under the abuse. There have already been quite a few that dropped because they weren't in good enough physical shape, or because they sustained injuries that couldn't be overcome due to their lack of conditioning. Hell, about half of the people, including myself, are fighting injuries and pain as it is now. It's the nature of the academy. You're doing dangerous and strenuous activities and injuries are part of the gig. Why increase your chances by being out of shape?

Listen. None of us know your exact situation and none of us can make the decision for you. However, if you are questioning whether you are in good enough shape, perhaps you should defer to the next academy and give yourself time to get into better shape. If you really want this job, honestly, that is what you'd do.

Because, trust me, you're not going to want to go through academy more than once. If you get injured or can't hack it physically, you'll either be fired or have to come back and start all over again.

Be honest with yourself. If you really want the job, it'll still be there in 6 more months and, if you're dedicated enough, you'll be in better shape and more prepared to handle academy.

Just another .02 from someone there now. Take it or leave it.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    The worst thing that ever happened to the quality of FDNY recruits was "college credit". Bunch of educated children who never worked a real job, never had a boss ride him, had no trade skills. Hands used to have calluses and dirty nails, then they had paper cuts and manicures.

Don't be too quick to knock work experience over "real" college credits until you've worked with the product of both.
    let me just clear this up. i haven't been on the site in like a week so i didn't get a chance to respond till now. i'm not knocking work experience. i'm all for the work experience. i went to college for a semester and said f*ck this i'll work my way to where i want to be. i actually feel that college these days is really more a popular decision than it is the RIGHT decision. i know more people than i should who went to 4 years of school and are still total retards with a lack of work ethic. what i meant to say was that a lot of the people in the PD get their "college credits", if you can even call them that, from some BS programs that award college credits for work experience, not that work experience is a bad thing, but it should in no way be a supplement for real college classes where you are sitting in a classroom and being taught stuff by a professor. Some take BS online classes that will never total anywhere close to any actual Associates degree but gets them the 60 credits they need for the PD. Like i said i'm not knocking work experience at all. I'm all for working hard to get what you want and need. I'm anti-college if anything. It's for some people but i think in todays day and age society puts WAY too much weight in having a college degree. Some of the hardest working, smartest, and wealthiest people i know never went to or finished college. I think we're building a young society of kids who think college or the military is their only GOOD option after high school. What happened to working from the bottom up without college? Will there even be a blue collar worker 2 generations from now? You don't need a college degree to pour cement or put up iron. who's gonna do it when the next generations don't want to touch a shovel?
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    Gettingready - you might want to seriously heed some of this advice. First off, Calm is an instructor at The Rock and is probably in more of a position to dispense advice than anyone on this board.

Secondly, listen to what the others (and myself) are saying about academy. If you aren't in good enough shape, you'll be in absolute hell. It is NOT the place to try to get into shape.

Your body will fail you under the abuse. There have already been quite a few that dropped because they weren't in good enough physical shape, or because they sustained injuries that couldn't be overcome due to their lack of conditioning. Hell, about half of the people, including myself, are fighting injuries and pain as it is now. It's the nature of the academy. You're doing dangerous and strenuous activities and injuries are part of the gig. Why increase your chances by being out of shape?

Listen. None of us know your exact situation and none of us can make the decision for you. However, if you are questioning whether you are in good enough shape, perhaps you should defer to the next academy and give yourself time to get into better shape. If you really want this job, honestly, that is what you'd do.

Because, trust me, you're not going to want to go through academy more than once. If you get injured or can't hack it physically, you'll either be fired or have to come back and start all over again.

Be honest with yourself. If you really want the job, it'll still be there in 6 more months and, if you're dedicated enough, you'll be in better shape and more prepared to handle academy.

Just another .02 from someone there now. Take it or leave it.
    i definately did not know that calm was an instructior at the rock...i bounce around alot on the internet and dont follow this thread like others do....thankyou for your advice.....i do appreciate it......but NOTHING will stop me from getting this job!!!!!!!! If it honestly kills me to do what i have to do than that is what i will do .........as for you calm i didnt realize you were an instructor and do apologize ,,,i thought you were someone trying to discourage others from taking the job ( there are some people out there that are like that),as i did not read all of your threads..but like i said ,if it kills me to do what i have to do, than thats what it takes to become one of the best

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Work Hard

ive got to be honest...im a bit over weight and i need to lose like 25 lbs or so..... ive been dieting like crazy and only drinking water ,and lots of it...i know this may sound bad but im on the atkins diet for now...atleast util i get called for the med and pass it (hopefully) but i got to do what i got to do ...ive already dropped like 7 lbs in a week so its definatley helping me out bye doing that diet ontop of running and hitting those stairs....ive never sweat this much in my entire life ...thanks for all the info and good luck to you..where are you on the list ?
    GettinReady6019 like said before no one know your personal situation so my comments are general.
    First off you need to be very careful with the Adkins diet. Your body needs carbs to function so cutting them out completely or severely reducing them can actually really hurt your recovery and work outs. Take some time to look over the internet and get an idea of the ratio of carbs to protein that is healthy. Take the time get a small note book keep it in your pocket and write down everything you eat for about a week. I MEAN EVERYTHING!! If you have a lifesaver it should be in your book. Then take the time on the internet and find the calories you intake, the carb to protein ratio you consume and tweak that. You can find online a general rule of thumb of how much protein and carbs you need given your weight. Use that and work down to that.

If you are 25 lbs over weight you have your work cut out for you seeing that the medicals are starting and the academy starts in about 4-5 months. Its not hard to do its just very time consuming and challenging. As was stated by Fdny2b the academy is no joke physically. If you come in, in just OK shape you are behind the eight ball already. They don't give you time to relax or recover you have to just trudge on. Its physically demanding work all day that your body is not used to. You spend most of the day in bunker gear so that alone is like walking around with 30 lbs on your back and a snow suit in regards to heat retention and spend allot of time crawling on your knees. Its no joke. The people who come in with OK physical conditioning have allot more to worry about than those of us who came, in great condition.
    Don't underestimate how difficult the physical aspect of the academy. If you are physically worn out it is difficult to learn and succeed.
    Think about that when you make your decision. It would not be smart to enter the academy and get booted over something you can control.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    GettinReady6019 like said before no one know your personal situation so my comments are general.
    First off you need to be very careful with the Adkins diet. Your body needs carbs to function so cutting them out completely or severely reducing them can actually really hurt your recovery and work outs. Take some time to look over the internet and get an idea of the ratio of carbs to protein that is healthy. Take the time get a small note book keep it in your pocket and write down everything you eat for about a week. I MEAN EVERYTHING!! If you have a lifesaver it should be in your book. Then take the time on the internet and find the calories you intake, the carb to protein ratio you consume and tweak that. You can find online a general rule of thumb of how much protein and carbs you need given your weight. Use that and work down to that.

If you are 25 lbs over weight you have your work cut out for you seeing that the medicals are starting and the academy starts in about 4-5 months. Its not hard to do its just very time consuming and challenging. As was stated by Fdny2b the academy is no joke physically. If you come in, in just OK shape you are behind the eight ball already. They don't give you time to relax or recover you have to just trudge on. Its physically demanding work all day that your body is not used to. You spend most of the day in bunker gear so that alone is like walking around with 30 lbs on your back and a snow suit in regards to heat retention and spend allot of time crawling on your knees. Its no joke. The people who come in with OK physical conditioning have allot more to worry about than those of us who came, in great condition.
    Don't underestimate how difficult the physical aspect of the academy. If you are physically worn out it is difficult to learn and succeed.
    Think about that when you make your decision. It would not be smart to enter the academy and get booted over something you can control.
    Excellent post.

Forum Member

Exclamation

thanks for all the help guys anything else i should be getting ready for when my packet comes?

Forum Member

anyone who just turned in their papers know when we're going to get called for the medical? I don't live in the city and I just want to be prepared.

Hey guys. First of all I would like to thank everyone who's given there input and insight on the CPAT, academy, and obviously the job. Its been a great help to me and a big wake up call. I thought I was in good shape getting ready for the test, turns out I wasn't even close after hearing what you guys had to say. Im just thankful that my list number is in the 4500's so I have time to prepare properly.

Ive been seeing all you guys talk about how to train your lower body with the jogging, sprinting, and stairs with the vest, but I was wondering how important upper body strength was for the test and academy. What are some different ways you guys train your upper body? Push ups? Sit ups? Pull ups? Heavy weight training?

Thanks in advance guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maples View Post
    anyone who just turned in their papers know when we're going to get called for the medical? I don't live in the city and I just want to be prepared.
    No clue, there's a bunch of us that went in July to hand in everything that still did not get anything for med or physc either so you'll have a little bit of a wait. When we start getting ours it will be another month or so for you guys, unless you're being processed for July it may be a while.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maples View Post
    as far as i know they told us that we should recieve something in the next 2 months but i could be wrong...i also spoke tosomeone at dcas and he told me that physical orientation stuff should be in the mail this week! good luck buddy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post

i appreciate your help and i will definately do what you said ...thanks alot dude and good luck to you!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=GettinReady6019;984203]as far as i know they told us that we should recieve something in the next 2 months but i could be wrong...i also spoke tosomeone at dcas and he told me that physical orientation stuff should be in the mail this week! good luck buddy[/

Im 29xx on the list, does anybody know when i should be hearing something

Thread Information